“Best Location!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Vernon, Canada
“Best Location!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Chancellor on the 15th floor--1501 to be exact. Honestly, at first I wasn't overly excited about being at the absolute top of the hotel, but it turned out to be quite enchanting!! We loved that we could open the windows wide (and actually step out onto the fire escape---crazy but fun) and take in the sights and sounds of San Fran!!! We will definitely be back! The room was very small, but had all a couple needs.. Comfy bed and very clean room! We also enjoyed the lobby bar; best drinks, great happy hour! The service was very good in all areas of the hotel. If you are looking for "new" feeling hotel, this is not for you....BUT, if you are looking for a perfect place to make a lasting memory, this is for you!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a walk in closet. High rooms offer a view.
Green Features: I love that they are implementing green practices..
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarkNicoleNicholas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sewickley, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I picked this place because of the location, the price, and the reviews. It did not disappoint on on any of them. Union Square is an easy walk to most places, and the Powell Street cable car line is just across the street and will take one down to Fisherman's Wharf in 15 minutes for $6 and a pleasantly quirky ride. I had breakfast in the hotel's small restaurant this morning, having tried Sears Fine Foods next door yesterday, and liked the food, the service and the price much better. As others have noted, the hotel is old and the rooms on the smallish side, but my room (304) was very comfortable for one person as well as quiet. For a couple I'd suggest seeking a larger room, especially as the bathroom had but one sink. As the hotel clearly points out, it is not air conditioned, but in November that isn't a problem and the room had a ceiling fan; the front desk sent up a small desk fan as well, so there was plenty of air circulation. The bed was comfortable, and I had a walk-in closet that was the size of the bathroom. There is a tour desk in the lobby, So, in sum, charming and pleasant, good value for the money, and great location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Oberst06
Middletown, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Excellent deal in a very good, albeit old, hotel. The hotel is very clean for its age and it's a great deal right on Union Square. It is small but nothing compared to some NYC hotels. The travel office is right there to purchase Muni passes and the cable cars ride right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: High room on powell street side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Clean hotel, friendly staff, beds are really comfortable as are the pillows. Excellent location practically in Union Square and surrounded by good places to eat to suit all budgets. Breakfast in the hotel's own restaurant was excellent. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rachael M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Lovely, old hotel in a great location. Easy to find from train station, great value for money and has all that you need when here to explore the city.

Check in was straight forward and quick. Reception staff were polite and professional. Rooms were spacious and had a "walk-in closet" which was a novelty for us. Extra blankets/heater (which we did not need) / iron+ironing board / hairdryer / toiletries (cotton buds/balls, bath salts, moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner, shower cap) / safe / mini-fridge and even an umbrella!

The room was spotlessly clean, had a flat screen tv and ceiling fan. "Quaint" is how I would describe this property. It is furnished in keeping with its history and exudes old-school charm.

The Chancellor is practically on top of a cable car stop, across the road from the tour bus stop for Union Sq and in the midst of lots of bars, shops and eateries. It is a short cab ride or cable car journey to Fisherman's Wharf and not far from Chinatown or the ferry terminal. It is easy to find because of how tall it is and its proximity to the Square.

Negatives:
- Room 300 (which my sister stayed in) faces the main street so it was noisy due to cable cars / traffic however our room was on the opposite side of the hotel and was quiet so probably best to opt for a room at the back of the hotel.
- Some of the locks on the windows did not work so although it would not be easy for someone to break in, you would not feel 100% secure if travelling alone.
- No tea/coffee making facilities in the room although there are free, hot drinks in the lobby area so you can always make one there and take it up to your room

We did not complain about any of the slight negatives above because they were not huge issues for us but are worth mentioning. If, before I had stayed at this hotel, I had read the overly-defensive backlash from the GM to constructive criticism on this site I would have thought twice about staying...luckily we did not have any problems that warranted contacting management.

Overall, based on my experience, I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family due to its location, value for money and cleanliness. It is a good, mid-range hotel which is ideal for getting to almost anywhere in San Fran.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor and/or towards the back of the hotel
Green Features: Recycling bins in all rooms with details about their policy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LDN_Wanderer
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am very glad these folks felt that overall they would recommend us to any of their friends and family due to our location, value for money and cleanliness and that we are a good, mid-range hotel which is ideal for getting to almost anywhere in San Francisco - that is exactly what we try to be!

I would never recommend that someone stay at the Chancellor without reading the reviews first. I want people to read my overly-defensive responses to the "constructive criticism" we receive on this site before they choose us. I think these folks got lucky because when the reaction to my responses is that I am "overly defensive," those people will not be happy at the hotel. I will not apologize for being a historic, 3 star hotel. In fact, I will defend what we are because we could not be more honest and upfront about it and "constructive criticism" in that regard is not constructive. If one looks at the reviews, I think they will find that when there is "constructive criticism," I do apologize, acknowledge it and/or address it on our end.

That said, I would like to clarify that letting us know that they thought some of the window locks didn't work does not have to be a "complaint." And, that goes for anything that a guest feels is wrong or could be better during a stay. I think I speak for ALL hotel managers when I say we appreciate that feedback from our guests and it should not be considered a "complaint" by either side. As much as we try, we can not discover everything we should on our own. We need and want our guests to let us know how we can do better no matter how slight it is while they are still staying with us. Please do not wait for this forum to provide valued input. Thank you.
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

stayed in in November 2012 and prior in 2009 - I found the hotel rooms to be very small which i didnt really mind as I just slept there. The rooms were very clean though and the bed was confortable.

The hotel is located at union square with a cable car stop right outside (if you wanted a trip down to fishermans wharf)

I didnt eat or drink in the hotel as I found it a bit pricey however i did steal a free cookie or two at reception when checking in :)

There is a diner next to the hotel which is open 24 hrs and make really good pancakes and bacon mmmm

I have stayed in this hotel twice thus far and would not hesitate to stay a third time. The hotel is not that expensive to stay, it's clean, comfortable rooms, centrally located etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room - less noise from outside
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank steveybaby83
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Because of its location, adjacent to Union Square, it's close to all bus tours, trams and restaurants. All staff were courteous and helpful during our 3 night stay. Surprisingly the breakfast area tended to be quiet in the morning, yet the freshly cooked food was delicious and well priced. Our clean, well laid out room in this old building, overlooked the back of the hotel and having tea/coffee & cookies available 24 hours in the reception was a big bonus. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple