Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$175
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$252
$227
$319
$194
  • Pool
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$189
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$241
$206
  • Room Service
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$434
$209
$178
Westin.com
5,434 results
All reviewspillow menutour deskcable carrubber duckunion squarefree cookiesgreat locationceiling fanbath saltsrooms are smallwalk in closetpowell stno air conditioningour honeymoonmuni passcharming hotelan older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had never been to SF before, so I used online reviews as research to pick a good neighborhood and hotel. I'm glad I read all the positive reviews of the Chancellor! The hotel is in a great location, and on a street w/several restaurants, and a Walgreens. There are several public transportation options within walking distance. The reservation desk did not accept my AAA discount, but graciously gave me a small discount for asking. The travel desk is very helpful. I booked a great tour through them, and arranged my shuttle to the airport. I wish they had coffeemakers in each room like most hotels, but coffee and cookies are available in the lobby.

Room Tip: There is a little bit of street noise, so if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on a higher floor. When I made my reservation, I requested a quieter room, and they put me on the top floor. I slept very well every night!
Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Chancellor from 9/11 to 9/16/13. It was her first time and my third. When going to San Francisco, I don't stay anywhere else but here. My mother fell in love with it immediately! We were in room #1300 and it was absolutely perfect! We arrived early in the morning and the staff checked our luggage in. We then went to Luques for breakfast and then out on the town for a few hours until our room was ready.

Now, I have have reviewed Luques in the past and will do another review for them as well. The food, service, and staff have always been amazing in the past! This time around, they have exceeded that even more by now being "Phenomenally Amazing!" They have enhanced their menu dishes and flavors and all the meals and service were excellent. And it was so good to see all the familiar faces of the staff, too. We loved Luques so much, I think we ate breakfast there everyday! (So I will write a separate review for them as well).

When we entered our room, it was perfect in size and comfort. We also were given a welcome back greeting card from Wes Tyler with a bottle of Chardonnay and two beautiful Chancellor Hotel photo frames. (Thank you, Mr. Tyler, for the gifts and for the warm greeting! We really appreciate it).

Now, I love the Chancellor and will always stay here, but there there are some little issues that happened that need some resolving. These issues are just small, but worthy for some attention for correction. These issues pertain to housekeeping. There was one day that we left really early and went about our activities around town. As we left, we saw housekeeping cleaning a few rooms away from ours. Later on, when we came back from a long day around 3:30 pm, we entered the room and it has not been cleaned. We waited a bit to see if they would arrive and they never did. I then called housekeeping directly and kindly requested for our room to be cleaned and they said they would make sure of it. We told the lady on the phone we were leaving for dinner and would be back a few hours later. Upon leaving our room and waiting for the elevator, the staff telephone rang in the hallway and a housekeeping lady came from around the corner. When she picked up the phone, I got the impression it was the person I had just talked to from housekeeping–translating and reiterating our request to the housekeeping lady. After the phone conversation ended, we heard the housecleaning lady mutter, "Yeah, yeah!" out loud when hanging up the phone. Our elevator arrived and we stepped in, and the housekeeping lady walked by us with her head down, no eye contact or acknowledgement whatsoever as she then realized we were the guests from room 1300 when she answered the hallway phone. It was clearly a very awkward moment for us all. Later, when we returned from dinner, our request for a clean room had been granted.

It was then a few days later, we got a late start to the morning and housekeeping came to the room about 9:30 am. We weren't ready to leave for another five minutes and told the housekeeping lady that we would be gone within a few minutes and that she could clean the room anytime after that as she was beginning to clean the room next door. We went to Luques and then went out to do some errands, and came back near 11 am and the room still hadn't been cleaned. No biggy, we thought! I had some online business I had to do in the room and we decided to just stay there until they arrived. But then, another housekeeping lady arrived and we weren't ready to leave yet. We told her we would be leaving shortly within a few minutes and would not be back until the late afternoon or early evening. Hours later in the late afternoon, we came back to the room and saw it still hadn't cleaned. It was around 4pm and we were really tired. I then called housekeeping again and kindly put in a request for the room to be cleaned as we then left for dinner. Again, when we left our room, the hallway phone began to ring–and ring continuously as no one was there to pick it up. However, when we returned from dinner, our request for a clean room had been granted... despite some of the dirty drinking glasses in the room and bathroom were still there from before as the glasses were still left in place where we left them before, and the rims were facing up (used), not down (unused).

Also, we felt that that bathroom could have used some extra cleaning as some of the tiles in the shower clearly had some visible grime. And there was a very large and unsightly spot below the sink that appeared to be stained, making it appear at first to be mold or grime, but I don't think that was the case.

Overall, these issues can be tackled and corrected, and in no way have they changed my outlook, opinion, and decisions to stay here again in the future. We were very pleased by the services of the entire staff. And my mother and I both agree we will be returning again to the Chancellor Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MisterB_74
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ideally situated off Union Square, 5 minute walk from BART (SF airport to Powell takes 30 mins for $18) and opposite the tram stop for Fisherman's wharf (outside Starbucks). 24 hour Walgreens next door as well. Rooms are smallish but comfortable. Great shower. Friendly bar area and free coffee/water in foyer. Staff helpful and welcoming.
The only slight downside is that rooms facing Powell Street tend to be noisy up to midnight due to trams and the Union Square trumpet playing busker! However at least he toots in tune and I ended up quite enjoying his playing! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing powell street may be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is our 4th time staying at the Chancellor and you could not ask for a better location. We keep coming back because everyone is so friendly, the rooms have been nicely updated and it feels like our home in San Francisco. The bathroom is a little small but the toiletries are nice and there is always the cute yellow rubber duck to greet us and who needs to spend a lot of time in the bathroom if you are in San Francisco? We always eat breakfast at the hotel and love the service and the smiles we get in the morning. Yes, we have tried a few other places through out the years and have now decided that The Chancellor is where will always stay when we are here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claucat
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Chancellor is excellently located in Union Square and the cable car stop is just afew steps away from the lobby. You can easily walk 5 mins to where the cable car starts, if you prefer to get a good seat or if you are travelling with young children. Though the rooms are not new or spacious, it is adequately equipped with wifi. What we loved most was the service - from the doorman to the frontdesk, travel desk and housekeeping - everyone made us feel at home throughout our 4 days' stay there. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family