“Great boutique hotel near Union Square”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #18 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Clean, comfortable, first class and only $145! The streetcars go by the front door. The staff is well trained, accommodating and well dressed. Knowledgable advice, nice bar, good food at reasonable prices. I can't complain.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,358)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I unexpectedly had to be in San Francisco on a Friday evening. I called the hotel mid Friday afternoon and explained the situation and they made a special effort to accommodate me. Check-in was a breeze. My room was easily accessible and the room service fare was delivered promptly and was quite tasty. The room was small, but for one person very comfortable and quiet. Thank you Chancellor staff for making a difficult time less difficult.

Room Tip: Don't expect a roomy and modern room. These rooms are quaint, somewhat, but updated and clean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maevilyn
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed for two nights last month after not having stayed for several years and I was happy to experience the same consistency in service and comfort as before. The care and excellent service from front desk to housekeeping to even the bartender in the hotel's tiny but cozy bar is impeccable, warm and friendly. I really cannot find fault with anything. The room was spotless, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom fully loaded with a great shower. The location of the hotel is sensational to anywhere one wants to go and I remember comparing it to New York's famed Algonquin some years ago but for half the price and that compliment happily still stands today. I can unhesitatingly and wholeheartedly recommend The Chancellor as the place to stay when in San Francisco if one wants to pay a reasonable price for a value plus experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days having driven over from Las Vegas. Comfortable clean room. Not a good view but at least we did have good noise insulation from the cable car and street noise. Staff were very helpful. Coffee/Tea and iced water in lobby area was free and always available. No complaints.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Chancellor hotel with several colleagues for six nights when visiting a large conference in town. The short version: This is a very nice hotel in a fantastic location with comfortable rooms and extremely friendly staff. If I was in San Francisco again for holidays, I would come back anytime.

Now here is the longer version. :-) My positive experience started when a few days before, I had to write to the hotel to slightly change reservation details for some of our group. They responded quickly and very friendly, and the changes were no problem at all. Then when I arrived on a Sunday early afternoon, I was greeted with a smile, my room was ready, and although I am sure they were booked during the conference, I got a quiet room as requested...on a high floor and to the back of the building. The room was very nice, I personally liked this old style flair very much, but indeed, the furniture and walls are showing their ages and might need a little updating. But that was not much to talk about. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the pillow menu that other reviewers had talked about before was fun and a nice touch. And so was the rubber duck in the bathroom...what a nice surprise to be greeted by such a cutie when you are totally jet-lagged and take a shower after a long flight! :-) The fantastic location was also great not only on the first evening, but especially then, 'cause being exhausted and tired, stepping out of the door and being right on Union square without havong to walk or search much was much appreciated. :-)

As mentioned by others, the room was quite small, but for me it was enough, and I would also say that it's fine for two. There are two chairs and a table, another chair at the desk, a large walk-in wardrobe, and the bathroom (although small as well) has a nice and large bathtub. Most important, everything was very clean!

As I had written above, I had a room to the back on the 10th floor. This was very nice...when coming back from the conference and from dinners in the evenings, I could leave the window open and listen to the street musicians playing a block further. At night, it was very quiet, and I slept very well especially on the first day (all of you who ever had a jet lag know how important this is). Unfortunately, on some of the other days, I had neighbours in the adjoining rooms who preferred to watch tv very loudly after midnight or talk on the phone loudly at 6 a:m. This is a little minus - the isolation to the outside is great, but between the rooms it could be better. But to be fair, I did not hear much the other days when I obviously had neighbours who could behave. ;-)

I did not watch tv during these days, but the flatscreen is big and has got a lot of channels. One morning, the wireless didn't work (they fixed it immediately after my colleague had told them), but apart from that it was fine and fast. I had breakfast one morning only and tried the buttermilk pancakes. They were delicious, and the lady in the breakfast room was lovely. We were also in the bar one evening. Very friendly barkeeper as well. I just thought it was a pity that despite they offered a range of great alcoholic cocktails (according to my colleagues, they all tasted great), they did not have any non-alcoholic ones, so all I could order was a coke. Again, not a big deal, but at least something easy like a virgin mojito would be a nice addition to the menu.

The 24 hour coffee in the lobby was also very nice, as well as the water and cookies. Unfortunately, I did not see the cookies on three of the mornings (maybe I was always there when they were just about to replace them?), and on the six days, they put out the great popcorn machine only once.

Check-out was again very friendly and quick. So to sum up again, I was very pleased with my stay. I would come back any time with my boyfriend, and if it was just to see which rubber duck is waiting for us in the bathroom this time. ;-)

P.S.: One remark for people complaining about the homeless people near the hotel and on Union square (I have read such complaints in reviews not only for this hotel but also for others in San Francisco)...Yes, there are homeless people, and yes, some of them are very strange and obviously have psychological problems. But they never annoyed me. They just sit or stand around and ask for some change - if you do not wanna give them anything, then just don't do it. And be happy that it's not you who lives on the street and has to search for food in the nearest trash can! They are humans like we all are, just not as privileged as those who can stay in hotels and write reviews about it.

Room Tip: I would always go for the backside. No view, but very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank business_trav77
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We loved our stay at The Chancellor and would definitely return there. It was in a fantastic location right in the middle of everything and the staff were exceptionally helpful. The amenities were very clean and the room,though small, was very comfortable. Even though the rooms sleep two at the most, we had our toddler with us and it still felt like a kid friendly place with enough privacy in the rooms that we didn't feel like she would bother anyone. The cookies in the lobby were also a nice touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stay away from Fisherman Wharf is what I have been told when I mentioned I was going to San Francisco. I got a suggestion from a friend of mine, about this hotel at Union Square. I checked the price, and it seems quite reasonable.
When I arrived, the check in was quite smooth, the staff was really nice. The room is nice, clean and spacious.
Walking around the hotel there are several options of restaurants and stores, and if you want to go to the Fisherman Wharf, the cable car stop is almost in front of the hotel, very handy!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends