“Superb location!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #18 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had mentally prepared myself for a teeny tiny room, but was pleasantly suprised when we arrived. Apparently I have stayed in some very small rooms other places. Anyhow, there is a large walk in closet to put your suitcases which leaves plenty of room to get around the bed. There is also a small table with two chairs and a fridge. The bathroom is lacking in the way of counter space but it wasn't an issue. Great location on Union Square. Friendly staff as well. Would stay again, especially at this price point!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ens982

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were charmed by this older hotel. Although our room was small it had everything we needed to be comfortable, right down to a choice of pillows. We loved the view onto Union Square which was buzzing with Christmas activity and decorations. Very handy for the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf and close to lots of places to eat. Sears restaurant next door well recommended. Enjoyed the continuous supply of tea, coffee and homemade cookies in the foyer.

Room Tip: All the rooms are small but full of character. Some have great views of Union Square
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Chancellor Hotel on the 11th floor in March. Overall our stay was good; further information:
Location - excellent. Just 1 block from union square, on the Powell St cablecar line, safe area
Check-in - fine, quick
Hotel - clean, friendly. Complimentary tea, coffee & cookies was a bonus!
Room - comfortable, clean. Bathroom fine; towels very clean but looked a little old. Bed very comfortable. Room very warm, quiet with windows closed but very noisy when the windows were opened.

Scala's restaurant across the road is very good.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ClaraAustralia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while in town for a job interview. I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world so I am always a bit nervous about staying in smaller, less expensive places in major cities. I was really pleasantly surprised. The location was ideal and allowed me to squeeze in a ton of sightseeing and meeting up with friends at the beginning and end of my stay. My room was somewhat cramped but comfortable and clean. The hotel has an old feel and could certainly use some updating so don't expect to love the decor or find everything looking pristine. However, if you just want a decent place to stay in a great location from which to explore the city, I recommend this hotel hands down.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We visit San Francisco annually and will make this our hotel in the city. It's located in a very central area. The rooms are small but well appointed, very clean and comfortable. For an unexpected bonus we watched the Chinese New Year's Parade pass by the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Upon arrival, the front desk was very helpful in getting us set up in a room hours before check-in time. The Bellman did a great job helping us up. The hotel has a unique character. I think it has real class while also maintaining comfort. To me it was like going back in time (old world hotel). When the sun goes down, you can even hear a trumpet being played from the open window that could seduce any evening. I also like that the hotel isn't over sized, you have everything you need. It is centrally located in Union Square. They also provide local organic apples and my wife loved the rubber ducky!

One key note of advice I received from a local is to use Lyft (an alternative taxi system) instead of taxis. It's cheaper, easier and friendlier.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 15th floor, room 1501. Don't mess it up because we will be back!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in the Chancellor Hotel for 7 nights on a business trip in early March. The hotel is in an excellent location just off Union Square (on Powell) and represented really good value for money. Downtown San Fran hotels tend to be pricey!

The Chancellor is an older Hotel which has been well maintained and I found it on the whole very friendly, clean and comfortable. However, if you are after contemporary perfection this hotel is probably not going to appeal to you. However, the Chancellor does have a certain character and charm about it.

My room was on the 14th floor and I found the room surprisingly quiet and the bed was very comfortable. There was no air con in the room which was not an issue in March but may be more of an issue in the summer. The room had a large flat screen TV, iron/board, laptop safe and a fridge. The free wifi worked OK and you could have multiple devices connected at the same time.

I did not eat breakfast in the hotel but can recommend Lori's Diner situated about 50 meters from the hotel - Turn left when you leave the hotel. There is also a Starbucks close by.

The hotel provides complimentary tea/coffee and cookies in reception which were always well stocked and most welcome with a good selection of tea.

I could not really find fault with the hotel based on the price I payed compared to other local Hotels near Union Square.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the Hotel at least have a view of Powell Street and the Cable Trams
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business