“Superb location and staff - just bring your earplugs!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #14 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights on a holiday to San Francisco.

The location is excellent - we like to walk as much as possible, and it was in easy strolling distance of Union Sq, the Ferry Building, ChinaTown, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Alcatraz ferry dock (Pier 33). It's also great for public transport, being only a couple of blocks from the Powell BART station (where you can get on a train to the airport or the Oracle arena for an NBA game), and the number 5 bus route which takes you over to Golden Gate Park and Haight-Ashbury. There's a cable car stop right outside too, although you're better to walk down to the end of Powell St to make sure you get on one.

There are other good things too; the staff were very friendly and welcoming, check-in was easy, the free Cookies were delicious, the 'information desk' was always manned and helpful, and the breakfast in the restaurant really good quality.

There were a couple of downsides. As others have said, the decor is a bit old and tired, but perfectly acceptable. The big thing for us was the noise from the street. We stayed on a high floor (11) but had a room facing the road, and the noise was too much to have the window open. It was much better with it closed, but that meant having the fan on all night which was a bit noisy too. Luckily we were there in February so could turn it off, and it wasn't too hot. We are very light sleepers though, and even we managed to sleep fine on the last couple of nights once we had got used to it.

Overall, this hotel is a very good place to staying SF, and I'd happily recommend it.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John J S
There are newer reviews for Chancellor Hotel on Union Square

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've been staying at the Chancellor for at least the last 10 years. This year while participating in a trade show I realized that the equipment for my booth would not allow two 6' tables. I asked the Chancellor how I could acquire a 4' table for the show. Could someone buy one at a Target and hold it for me for my arrival? Instead, the hotel LENT me one at no charge, and in fact, went and purchased it for me to use. Now, that is service above and beyond. And the staff have great memories for returning guests. A home away from . . . .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DavidSzew
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Well just returned from a great stay at the Chancellor, Stayed for 3 nights with a group of friends. Decided on hotel based on location and reviews and didn't disappoint.Yes the hotel is a bit dated but it has charm and loads of character. The staff from the bellboy to the cleaners are all very friendly and stop to say hello. The bar downstairs has good stock of drink and a knowledgeable barman who mixed up some great cocktails, The food is good nothing special but i would have no problem eating here again. Would defiantly stay again should i return to San Fran in the future?.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent a week at the Chancellor in November 2012 checking in on Thanksgiving. As people have pointed out the hotel is not modern but that was part of the appeal to us and we would not have stayed anywhere else. The location was fantastic just off of Union Square so most things were walkable. We also walked back from Fishermans Wharf on one occasion, which took about 30 minutes and was good exercise with the hills to tackle!

The tea, coffee and cookies available 24/7 in the lobby was a very nice touch and we indulged on several occasions! We had a room at the side of the hotel (701) and had no issues with noise from the street at all. Room was a good size, bathroom very big and big walk-in wardrobe which housed all of our purchases! Staff were very polite and helpful. One thing to recommend for a stay in San Fran - watch an NBA game! We saw the Golden State Warriors at the Oracle Arena and it was absolutely fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and if we were to go back to San Fran we would not consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatieAndRicky
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I were very happy with our stay in the Chancellor. This place really has a lot of character. The staff were all very friendly and helpful when needed, in particular Rory from Ireland! The rooms were good and well serviced, noise from the street wasn't too loud and never really bothered us. I don't know if everyone gets it but I must also mention the lovely gifts that greet you when you first arrive in your room. We stayed on two separate occasions and first time we got a bottle of wine and second time we got a small picture frame. Wonderful! There is loads of little small touches as well which come together to make this hotel a real treat to stay in!

The only negative I would mention is I'm not sure I'd recommend for people staying during the hottest months of the year. There did seem to be some sort air conditioning box on the wall with a dial for controlling the temp but turning this up or down did nothing? When my wife was drying her hair the room got very warm even with the fan on and windows open. At any other time though the temperature in the room was fine.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A1K3
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in the best place in San Francisco: Union Square. Close to malls, stores, bars and restaurants. You an enjoy all these attractions and also find easy way to get the cable car and other kind if public transportantion to any point of the city.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is my 8th time to San Fran and I have stayed in several spots including the Westin and Fairmont hotels. This is by far and away the best hotel stay I have had. The check in was seamless, staff helpful. Room was not large but well appointed, with great use of the space. The lobby service of fresh cookies, water, fruit, tea and coffee was a nice touch. The little things make all the difference in a hotel stay. A terrific experience and the price was unbeatable for a location right on Union Square.

Room Tip: Had a twin room number 506 - extremely quiet even thought the hotel was full.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family