“Excellent location, very good value”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #17 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Near Union Square and easy to miss. The rooms are small but comfortable and well appointed. Most seem to have one queen bed. The bed and pillows are excellent. I asked for a very quiet room and the room is pretty quiet although I hear the band playing in Union Square. The staff seem friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Soccer D

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for honeymoon from 30 Jan 2013 - 1 Feb 2013.

Fantastic place which is interconnected to all the nice places in SFO. Right outside the door you can see the cable cars and short walk to all the bus services on Market Street. Location totally wing it! Easy reach to Lombard, Piers and 2 shuttles to reach Golden Gate.

Restaurant on lobby level is a GEM! Good Price and quality.

Heart felt thanks to Chancellor Hotel team for the honeymoon welcome! Nice Sparkling White wine with chocolates and candy jar.

Though room is not too big (so I would not give full points for room), our luggage found a good neat home in the store area (together with hangers and ironing board)

Reception staff was friendly, beds/pillows super comfortable ! Wifi password easily available on the table.

Hotel has a nice aged charm to it.

We will definitely come back again!

Anthony and Janice =)

Room Tip: Rooms without views facing away from powell street are quiet. You do not need to drive, just go buy...
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here for three days recently while on vacation. The hotel is in a great location and the rooms are nice, though small (as we remembered from 20+ years ago when we last stayed here). We bought a package that included parking and $25 voucher/day for food, which we used for breakfasts (which were very good). The staff was friendly and helpful. A very good buy for the price.

1  Thank Nick062
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here in April 2012. A fantastic boutique hotel. Reception staff were very friendly. I like the huge glass thing in the foyer full of iced water with lemon and limes. It became our first stop after a day of sightseeing.
Our room was a touch small, but neat, tidy and clean. I loved the deep tub, complete with rubber duck! A nice touch was a bath salts for free use. I also liked the walk-in wardrobe.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant a couple of times, and it was very nice.
The location can't be beat. Right next to Union Square, and the cable cars run right outside. Heaps of good restaurants around. If we were to comeback to San Francisco, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I arrived early and check in was no problem. The staff are friendly and the foyer is a nice welcoming place to wait for friends. The bar is fun at night and fills quickly sometimes. I had breakfast each morning and it was always nice. The waitstaff were friendly and efficient and remembered us for the whole week and were very kind when we were leaving. We stored our bags because our flight wasn't till the evening and had some drinks at the bar. They have a tour desk so you can book your airport shuttle from the hotel. Everything ran smoothly at this hotel. The room was bigger than I expected- after reading some reviews, but is just average size. The bathroom was clean and the shower pressure is good. Even though it was winter we did sleep with the window open, and in retrospect I should have asked for a room on the back of the hotel because of the noise, but you get used to it. (That is my only gripe- and I had been warned by other trip advisor reviews) But I wanted a view, and really wasn't in the room enough to see the view anyway! I would stay here again in a heartbeat, it is right on the cable line and during the week it isn't that busy. Union square is great for lunch and dinner, and the cable car will take you straight to Fisherman's wharf. So the location is ideal.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel for less noise.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I go to San Francisco quite often, and have always stayed in the Union Square area. I base my hotel choice on the best available price. This was my second visit to this hotel. Once again, I was very pleased with the hotel. The price was very good, the hotel was clean, friendly, VERY convenient, and quiet! I've been having problems with hotels recently, being too noisy. Especially smaller hotels like this one. But I was pleasantly surprised with just how quiet it was considering it's proximity to Powell Street and the cable cars. I didn't hear a peep. My room had a partial view of Macys, which is better than I can say for most of the hotels I've stayed at in the area. And for the price of the room, that partial view came as quite a surprise.
Since my last review, I feel like the the tourist desk/shop in the lobby has had a make over. I may be wrong, but If I remember correctly, that part of the lobby left a bad impression on me last time, and this time, I didn't seem to consider it such an eyesore.
As before, free cookies and coffee were offered in the lobby. In fact, the cookies were more accessible this time around. There is also a selection of complimentary tea.
The rooms are smallish, but not too bad. The room had a huge walk in closet, a mini fridge, the usual amenities, free wifi, a space heater, which we didn't need, even though it was January, a large bath tub with lovely bath salts, and a rubber ducky, and the hotel also offered a pillow menu! We didn't need to partake, even though I usually have complaints about the pillows in hotels.
We enjoyed breakfast in bed both days of our stay. Considering the prices of the local breakfast establishments, breakfast in bed was a good deal. And you definitely got your money's worth. No complaints there! I'd definitely recommend this hotel for service, comfort, location, price and convenience. It's close to shopping, transportation of all kinds, good food, entertainment, you name it.

2  Thank Intrepid_Traveler13
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed there during december 2011, the staff is pretty friendly, we ordered a few stuff online and they received the packages and take them to our room with no charge for receiving them. You are just a block away from union square and all the wonderful places around it. You can go to the mall two blocks away. all day long they have snacks on the lobby, ie. cookies, apples, tea, coffee, etc., so sometimes when we arrived from a long walk to take a break on the hotel, you can just grab an apple and continue your day. There is a really nice place to eat next door, cheap and with really nice food...the best thing is that the cable car is just outside the door of the hotel, so you can just walk a few steps and you are there!! I would stay here again with no doubt!

Room Tip: Buy the san francisco city pass! You can use that to get on the cable car for nine days!!! It is che...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family