“Rubber ducks!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Canberra
“Rubber ducks!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here in April 2012. A fantastic boutique hotel. Reception staff were very friendly. I like the huge glass thing in the foyer full of iced water with lemon and limes. It became our first stop after a day of sightseeing.
Our room was a touch small, but neat, tidy and clean. I loved the deep tub, complete with rubber duck! A nice touch was a bath salts for free use. I also liked the walk-in wardrobe.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant a couple of times, and it was very nice.
The location can't be beat. Right next to Union Square, and the cable cars run right outside. Heaps of good restaurants around. If we were to comeback to San Francisco, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I arrived early and check in was no problem. The staff are friendly and the foyer is a nice welcoming place to wait for friends. The bar is fun at night and fills quickly sometimes. I had breakfast each morning and it was always nice. The waitstaff were friendly and efficient and remembered us for the whole week and were very kind when we were leaving. We stored our bags because our flight wasn't till the evening and had some drinks at the bar. They have a tour desk so you can book your airport shuttle from the hotel. Everything ran smoothly at this hotel. The room was bigger than I expected- after reading some reviews, but is just average size. The bathroom was clean and the shower pressure is good. Even though it was winter we did sleep with the window open, and in retrospect I should have asked for a room on the back of the hotel because of the noise, but you get used to it. (That is my only gripe- and I had been warned by other trip advisor reviews) But I wanted a view, and really wasn't in the room enough to see the view anyway! I would stay here again in a heartbeat, it is right on the cable line and during the week it isn't that busy. Union square is great for lunch and dinner, and the cable car will take you straight to Fisherman's wharf. So the location is ideal.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel for less noise.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I go to San Francisco quite often, and have always stayed in the Union Square area. I base my hotel choice on the best available price. This was my second visit to this hotel. Once again, I was very pleased with the hotel. The price was very good, the hotel was clean, friendly, VERY convenient, and quiet! I've been having problems with hotels recently, being too noisy. Especially smaller hotels like this one. But I was pleasantly surprised with just how quiet it was considering it's proximity to Powell Street and the cable cars. I didn't hear a peep. My room had a partial view of Macys, which is better than I can say for most of the hotels I've stayed at in the area. And for the price of the room, that partial view came as quite a surprise.
Since my last review, I feel like the the tourist desk/shop in the lobby has had a make over. I may be wrong, but If I remember correctly, that part of the lobby left a bad impression on me last time, and this time, I didn't seem to consider it such an eyesore.
As before, free cookies and coffee were offered in the lobby. In fact, the cookies were more accessible this time around. There is also a selection of complimentary tea.
The rooms are smallish, but not too bad. The room had a huge walk in closet, a mini fridge, the usual amenities, free wifi, a space heater, which we didn't need, even though it was January, a large bath tub with lovely bath salts, and a rubber ducky, and the hotel also offered a pillow menu! We didn't need to partake, even though I usually have complaints about the pillows in hotels.
We enjoyed breakfast in bed both days of our stay. Considering the prices of the local breakfast establishments, breakfast in bed was a good deal. And you definitely got your money's worth. No complaints there! I'd definitely recommend this hotel for service, comfort, location, price and convenience. It's close to shopping, transportation of all kinds, good food, entertainment, you name it.

2 Thank Intrepid_Traveler13
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed there during december 2011, the staff is pretty friendly, we ordered a few stuff online and they received the packages and take them to our room with no charge for receiving them. You are just a block away from union square and all the wonderful places around it. You can go to the mall two blocks away. all day long they have snacks on the lobby, ie. cookies, apples, tea, coffee, etc., so sometimes when we arrived from a long walk to take a break on the hotel, you can just grab an apple and continue your day. There is a really nice place to eat next door, cheap and with really nice food...the best thing is that the cable car is just outside the door of the hotel, so you can just walk a few steps and you are there!! I would stay here again with no doubt!

Room Tip: Buy the san francisco city pass! You can use that to get on the cable car for nine days!!! It is che...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Maria D
Campbell, CA
Reviewed January 28, 2013

There are so many things we love about this hotel - the great price, the 2 for 1 cocktail voucher and this time they threw in $35.00 food credit at the restaurant (which just covered an excellent breakfast the next morning). Being that it was my birthday, our room included a bottle of champagne and chocolate truffles. They definitely go out of their way to accommodate and make your stay special. Also, there is not a better location to be found - walking distance to great restaurants and all the shopping your feet can handle! Just LOVE this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor - our room was larger than in past stays. We were right on the trolley...
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant location for Union Square and it's right on the cable car route to take you to Fishermans Wharf.
Lovely hotel and nice room- could do with a refit at some point soon as bathroom wasn't great but it was perfect for what we needed which was just a base whilst in San Fran.
Nice friendly staff and nice room with free wifi.
Only con was that they were they only hotel on our trip to the States which didn't acknowledge that we were on honeymoon despite being told when booking. A little 'Congratulations!' on check in would have made us feel special after 11 hour flight and doesn't cost anything!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iheartvegasx
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed the Chancellor in January, and could not fault it. Checking went smoothly, and the we had two rooms (inter-connecting). As we were traveling with our teenagers. The rooms were spotless, and beds comfortable. They even had a service, where you could choose a pillow to America it more comfortable. I choose a relaxing one, which was just perfect. Complimentary lollies, were much loved by my boys. Yes the rooms and bathroom are small, but think you can cope when everything else is perfect. The location is just perfect, right in the heart on 'Union Square'. Shops/restaurants all close by. Also another big thank you to the staff, I had misplaced my document holder, with our travel itinerary in it. Rang the hotel, and had left the holder in our safe. Spoke to a lovely lady 'Ollie' from housekeeping, who organised everything. My document will be sent by courier back to home. She also followed up, with an email to me giving me the details of courier etc.
So yes I do recommend this hotel to any one traveling to San Francisco.

Room Tip: We were on the twelfth floor, and it was perfect.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family