“Left my SF heart at the Chancellor!”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #14 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was born in SF and come back often. I can't believe that I didn't know about this fantastic historic hotel. Don't let the term 'historic' lead you astray in thinking it is old with paper thin walls. Not only is it clean, affordable and in a great location but the staff understands the importance of customer service. The free cookies, apples, popcorn, and cold water in the lobby was nice. Plus, I did not hear neighbors on either side of us. It is surrounded by top restaurants, bars, and shopping experiences. Upon seeing that our son's hoodie was soaked by the rain the staff put it in their dryer and delivered it to his room. While the rooms have new sound reduction windows, if you are a light sleeper you should consider bringing a portable sound machine you minimize any street noise. Thank you Chancellor and you can add us as loyal customers. . .we will be back.

Room Tip: The rooms not on Powell are more quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 481Lana_D_12
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you very much! You can come back and visit your heart at the Chancellor anytime!

However, if you are a light sleeper, no need to bring your own sound machine. We have them available on request - no charge of course.

There are newer reviews for Chancellor Hotel on Union Square

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Ideal location next to Union Square on Powell St. The cable cars stop right outside and its only a short walk to Market St so getting about on the MUNI was easy. The Hotel staff were friendly and the rooms tidy and clean, we had a room on the front so there was a bit of street noise (but you expect it in a city & I've experienced far worse) but it was quiet from about midnight. The room rates were very good value when you compare them to other hotels in the area. The lifts can be a little on the slow side as there are only two so sometimes it was quicker to take the stairs.
Overhaul it was a pleasant few nights stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have stayed at the Chancellor Hotel the last two years for an annual business meeting. I just love this hotel...The location is great, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the staff is over-the-top nice, helpful, and friendly. The cookies are great, the coffee and tea in the morning are great, and the overall experience and value is terrific for the price and location. This is the only hotel I plan to stay at when I am visiting San Francisco!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great location, great hotel, great staff, great rates!

I stayed here at the end of July. I also turned up shortly after 9am (due to flights) and the hotel were kind enough to look after all of my luggage, allowing me to return later in the day to check in.
Having previously stayed in the City at The Baldwin Hotel (for which you can read my review on here) this hotel is in a very similar style. Old style, creaky stairs and the perfect place for the out and about, active tourist. If you need somewhere to shower, lay your head after days out sight-seeing or returning from the Ball parks and is a quick walk to any number of bars and restaurants, then this is a great place to go for.
Again, as with The Baldwin, if you're expecting a luxurious spacious room, with all mod cons then this isn't for you.
You do get what you pay for, but given the location, the helpfulness of the staff, the free cookies and drinks in reception, the downstairs bar, it's more than worth it.
Free Wifi was also very useful. Bed was very comfortable.
Would I stay here again? Yes.
Also, be sure to go and see Rory in the bar downstairs and have an Anchor Steam Beer.

Room Tip: Powell Street facing rooms can be noisy, but to be expected given it's prime location.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is located just off of Union Square, which was perfect because I was spending the night in town for the tree lighting the day after Thanksgiving. What made my stay special were the clerks at the reservation desk who were friendly and cheerful, extremely helpful and professional. Although my online reservation had placed me in one room, upon arrival, they made an extra effort to get me into a room that overlooked the festivities in Union Square, which was important since I wasn't able to stand in the square that evening.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2012

After a nearly 11hour flight, we arrived and were warmly greeted by the receptionists. Although they couldn't find our check-in information straight away, they were helpful and cheerful. They made us aware of the complimentary cookies and water in the lobby area which were always tasty. Once we all were checked in, we went to our rooms, which unfortunately weren't all close. But the rooms were lovely, and had free wifi and a good range of channels on the TV. I also loved the fact there were different pillows to choose from on a menu.We had a lovely stay, the building itself was charming and had a lovely cosy feel to it as well as historic. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in this hotel in late November 2012. Overall we liked it and would stay here again.
The reception staff were friendly and welcoming. Nice historic hotel building. The rooms are small, but feel cosy and comfortable, with modern finishings. Lolly jar in room!
Yes the bathroom is small, but we found it fine. I am not quite sure what the last reviewer was talking about, we had soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion in the bathroom every day, as well as bath salts, although I must admit they were a bit tight with the soap bars (we had to call the second night to get some soap). Also there was free WiFi in the room, and free cookies and coffee in the reception area.
Location is perfect, very close to union square, shops and many transport options.
Nice comfortable bed also.

• Stayed: November 2012
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you. The reason the previous review (now gone) doesn't make sense is because it was not the Chancellor Hotel. The person posted it on our list but it was actually the hotel across the street. Thankfully TA got it fixed.