“A Gem repolished, a little more avant guard than before, but a wonderful stay”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Elected to make a reservation here at the recommendation here based upon friends who have stayed here for years. Recently bought and renovated, the place is stately, immaculate and furnished with some over to top furnishings, but thankfully the hotel's character and architectural details were preserved to remember the past, unlike the decimation of another iconic hotel to the south, which was stripped of its charm by new owners. Rooms were lavish, the bed plush, and the staff, most of which have stayed on from the previous owners, were outstanding. A leisurely pace here, which i thoroughly enjoyed, may not appeal to all. Fantastic location and in proximity to everything of interest. A keeper, and I've officially switched from my other mainstay hotel...

Room Tip: Ask for Park (north) or City views (south)
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear David C.,

Thank you for your kind words and commendatory review. "A Gem Re-Polished" is precisely how we think of ourselves, and I'm happy to hear that you hold us with such high regard! Many of the Trip Advisor reviews we receive (such as yours) are beautifully written and well thought out; they remind us just how discerning and tasteful our guests are. It was truly a pleasure to read your feedback, and I'm elated to hear that your stay with us was satisfactory. Thank you for allowing us to see our lovely hotel through your eyes. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Public Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Security knocks twice @3am.. Checking for disturbance.. Front desk didn't call us to warn us, fully bothered us cause we were sleeping,&we can't sleep now.. Oops! But now no one can accommodate us for the lack of front desk/security wrong actions.. Do not go here.. NOT SAFE, THEY DO NOT TREAT U GOOD..

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank jabrieller2014
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Jabrielle,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. On behalf of the hotel and all the staff here, I extend my sincerest apologies. We understand the importance of a good nights' rest, and do everything we can to ensure our guests feel complete comfort and serenity in their rooms.

I assure you that our security staff would never intentionally disturb our guests unless they believed there was an issue. I am unaware of the details of the situation, but you have my word that we will be investigating the matter. Such an unnecessary disturbance is unacceptable, and not congruent with the way we run our business. I have contacted you privately, in the hopes that we can amend the situation and figure out just what happened. Thank you again for your review. I personally apologize for your unsatisfactory experience, and hope we can correct the matter.

William Miller IV, and the rest of the staff at the Scarlet Huntington

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We just checked in today at the Scarlet Huntington and boy do we love this place. From the time we checked in(around 1pm) the staff has been nothing short of fantastic. Maureen and Geraldine handled the check in which went smoothly to James the doorman with great tips on parking deals and restaurants. When we walked into our room which was on the 12th floor looking out towards the bay and Grace Cathedral, we were amazed at how large the room was. We are travelling with our 14 year old daughter so the extra space is much appreciated. They brought us up an extra cot and to our surprise a bottle of champagne "on the house" which we're still not sure how we deserved that but we'll take it. The recent renovation looks great but in fairness we hadn't seen it before. We even walked all the way down to Pier 39 for dinner which was a huge trek walking back up those steep San Francisco streets. We hope the rest of our time here is as good as it has been on day one.

Room Tip: Just be nice to the front desk personnel :)
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe W
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Joe W.,

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I'm delighted to hear that you and your family are enjoying your time in San Francisco. The room you described is one of my favorites; waking up in the morning and gazing out over Huntington Park and the bay is a unique experience. Thank you for noting the exceptional service that we offer. We believe that a beautiful space coupled with top-tier service makes for an exceptional stay, and we often like to send amenities to our guests when possible. I'll be sure to share your review with James, Geraldine, and Maureen. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your time in San Francisco, and we look forward to accommodating you upon your return!

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is A+ me and my wife stayed here two mites for our honey moon I've read reviews on the new appearance not being appealing I think that's bullsh . I think its swaggie And hip like modern pop culture or somewhere a rap star or pro football player would feel comfortable staying . So for two days we pretended to live that life and enjoyed to the max we ate at the restaurant which was very classy and had massages at spa which was amazing my therapist gave an excellent massage and was very intuitive ! Thanks to all the excellent staff the bellman valet and front desk staff for there superb guest service u all as a whole made us feel special in every way . I would stay here again and again and I'll be recommending this stay for all my clientele !!!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jonathanmasseur

Dear JonathanMassuer,

Thank you for your glowing and commendatory review! The 'Stay of a Lifetime' is precisely the experience we strive to provide our guests with. We are honored that you bestowed us with the opportunity to accommodate you during such a special event, and elated to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your time here. I very much enjoyed reading your review; and agree with you on all points! Following the renovation, we've become a choice hotel for folks in the entertainment industry. (They must enjoy our swagger and steez).

I see that you and your wife also enjoyed the Nob Hill Spa and Big 4 restaurant. We're so lucky to have their incredible services offered within the hotel. I'll be sure to share your words of praise with the bellman and front desk staff, they'll be delighted to read it. Thank you again for your 5 star review. We look forward to your return in the not-too-distant future!

Best,

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for years but my latest stay was my first since the hotel's major facelift. On the positive side, the location on the top of Nob Hill is superb and the staff are great and the restaurant is still a classic Nob Hill landmark. The stairs and bedroom corridors are still from the classic San Francisco Golden Age but the lobby, the elevators and the rooms have been updated in extremely bright, cheery and vibrant colors with lots of purple and yellow plush and shiny leatherette. I am afraid I am not convinced as the hotel has traded in old world charm for a bit of Las Vegas. Its still a great hotel but...

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dippenhall
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Dippenhall,

First and foremost, thank you very much for your candid feedback and thoughts. We cherish the relationships we have with our guests whom have been staying with us a long time. On behalf of the hotel and staff, I extend our sincerest apology for your dissatisfaction with the new décor. The new aesthetic is inspired by the international culture that is present in much of San Francisco today. As you mentioned, we retained much of the classic features and design that set us apart from other hotels.

We understand the new décor may not be to everyone's liking, but we urge our guests to recognize that the features which set us apart- our commitment to top-tier service and luxury- are unchanging, and in fact more important to us then ever. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and provide us with your thoughts. We will certainly take your thoughts into consideration.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Book well in advance, the occupancy level is always high. Good location on the Nob; cable car runs in front. Clean, comfy, polished but not pretentious. Helpful, friendly and efficient service! Bar wine by the glass a bit pricey, but probably not any more than other upscale hotels. This hotel will be a repeat stay for me; however, I am coming back to SF in a couple of weeks and they were not available.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank DFWSteve

Dear Wingnut195,

Thank you Sir, for your review! "Nob Hill Jewel" is quite the title, and we couldn't agree with you more. I'm elated to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable, and that you intend to stay with us in the future. I see that you noted our service, location, and sleep quality. I actually had the pleasure of staying overnight at the hotel recently, and indeed the beds/ bedding are just divine.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience regarding your future stay. August is a very busy time for us, and hotels are in high demand during the summer months. Regardless, we extend our sincerest apologies. I believe your review will be quite helpful to future guests. Thank you so much for taking the time to write in, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Located in Nob Hill at the the top of California Street, this hotel has a style all its own. The staff was wonderful, the rooms very large (the building used to be residential) and the room service is delivered with white gloves, long stem rose, fine china....takes you back to old world elegance. I also loved the spa which you access freely without having a service. Swim in the infinity pool while overlooking the city. It's just great!

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms usually offer better views here
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear ntgame,

Thank you so much for your beautifully written review! "Old World Elegance" is precisely the tradition we strive to uphold, and I'm delighted to hear that it continues to be visible to our guests. I see that you also enjoyed the wonderful staff, large room sizes, and access to the Nob Hill Spa. Your words of praise mean so much to us, especially considering you are (from what I can surmise) a long time guest. Thank you again for the wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future!

Best,