“The Scarlet Letter.........”

Ranked #13 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Gold River, California
“The Scarlet Letter.........”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's only fair to remark that my wife and loved the old Huntington, and we were assured that the post renovation Huntington would continue the spirit of elegance and charm of this lovely hotel. We spent many a wonderful weekend in this hotel, and it was perhaps the last vestige of old San Francisco.

Well, one has only to walk into the lobby of the new Huntington to be extraordinarily disappointed. It looks as if a brothel from Bejing mated with a Russian sauna. I don't think I have used the word "garish" in the last ten years, but whatever else it might be, rule out the word elegant.

We continued on to the bar and chatted with an old friend. To say that they were disappointed is a mild understatement. Gone is the ambience and the wonderful chef, and new "rules" are everywhere.

Book this hotel if you never stayed at the old Huntington Hotel. I'm sure the view and service are fine. But something wonderful has been taken from San Francisco, and it's where my wife and I will leave our hearts.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank leytap
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Leytap,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We value our guests feedback, especially those whom have been staying with us for many years.

I apologize for your dissatisfaction with the new décor. Our intent behind the renovation was to care for the structure, which needed much attention. We also wanted to build upon the charm, graciousness and exceptionally high standards that define The Huntington Hotel and Big 4 Restaurant.

Throughout its' history, the hotel has been a pioneer in many ways. Upon its completion, the building was the first steel reinforced high rise building west of the Mississippi. In the 1950's, owner/manager Dorothy Fritz Cope was one of the first female executives in the city, pioneering the way for women wishing to advance beyond their 'homemaker' status. The former Huntington created a standard for grace, style, and service. This year we believed it was time to raise the bar yet again; the re-designed interior is a step ahead of the curve, embodying an international couture with San Francisco's rich history.

Please do provide us with another chance to accommodate you. Thank you again for your review.

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Scarlet Huntington for five nights and it was amazing.

The decor modern / quirky and similar to other international hotels we have stayed in. We liked the renovation and the room was spacious. There was a great balance between old fittings and modern furniture. The artist impression pictures make it look dark but it is actually a very bright hotel.

The Big 4 restaurant was gorgeous and cocktails some of the best I have had.

The spa was disappointing. I was told I could use the changing room as it was weekend and people not staying in the hotel needed to use them. They told me this as I was getting changed in front of other women. Embarrassing to say the least. In the end I went up to my room, got changed and went down in my dressing gown but had to walk through the foyer. You are also not allowed to swim(do laps) in the pool, which my boyfriend was told off about.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer G
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and for the four star review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the new decor. Indeed, we had an 'international decor' aesthetic in mind when we redesigned the hotel. We agree with you about the lighting; the large windows bring in incredible natural light that can be difficult to capture in a photograph. I'm also pleased to hear you enjoyed the Big 4 restaurant and the wonderful cocktails they serve.

In regards to your experience in the spa- I'm terribly sorry for the misconduct that occurred. I addressed the issue immediately upon receiving your review. On busy weekends, we request that our guests whom are not receiving spa treatments change into their robes in their room, so that the spa's customers may have more space in the changing room. That being said, it is completely unacceptable for our attendants to make this request while a guest is changing. I have addressed this issue with the spa staff, and you have our word that it will not happen again.

Thank you again for your excellent review! Please come back and see us again.

Wmiller@thescarlethotels.com
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was one of the very first customer post-renovation, I checked in on the reopening day. I had never stayed in this hotel before, so I can't compare pre to post renovation.

I can say though that my stay was, from the very beginning to the very end, amazing.

Room
I was in a Deluxe Room on the 9th floor with an astonishing view over the city. The room was extremely beautiful, stylish, very spacious, a lot of storage space, even more than what I needed (and I had a huge suitcase!). The bathroom fully new, size above average. But the best feature of the room was the bed. I think I have never slept in such a comfortable bed before. I wish I had the same bed at home. And the sleep quality was great too. The cleaning of the room was flawless every day. The cleaning lady also passed every evening around 7pm to make sure no further service was needed.

Staff
Staff is the real shiny star of the hotel. Everybody, from the doormen to the reception desk, from the concierge to the cleaning ladies, from the room service to the restaurant, does an exceptional job providing a spectacular service, for whatever you need, always professionally, always with a smile. I can't speak highly enough of them, and I want to thank them all for making my stay so positively memorable. I hope they are reading actually!

Restaurant
I personally really like The Big 4 style very much, I had breakfast and dinner there a few times and always enjoyed the service and the atmosphere. The food was ok. I mean, all food is of very good quality, don't get me wrong. However from such a place I would expect a more sophisticated menu, dishes are rather basic. But I heard from a waiter that the new chef is working on a new menu.

Location
the location is very convenient, in the heart of Nob Hill, quiet elegant area but at walking distance from everything. It was extremely convenient for me as I could walk to the office (Financial District) on foot in 15min and also enjoy the great views.

Spa
I had a manicure with Tina at the hotel spa on my last day, and she did a great job, I definitely recommend the spa services which are a nice addition to the already outstanding services of the hotel.

I believe this hotel should be a 5 star.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Federica_C_1983
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Frederica_C_1983,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a wonderful, detailed review! Our paramount concern is our guests experience, and to hear that your stay was, from beginning to end, "amazing", is the best feedback we can hope for.

The staff here work very hard and efficiently to ensure each guest is well taken care for, as such they will be elated when I share this with them. I see that over the course of 12 days you took advantage of most of the services our lovely hotel has to offer, including the Nob Hill Spa and Big 4 restaurant. It is true that our new chef, Kevin Scott is indeed creating a new menu. I understand he is an incredible chef and we have high hopes for the new cuisine that will be offered. Thank you again for taking the time to applaud all of the little details we offer here. We very much look forward to welcoming you back, please let us know ahead of time when you will be planning to do so.

Wmiller@thescarlethotels.com
Montreal, Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Everything here is five-star. From the check-in and welcome to the all-new furnishings and the very attentive and professional staff, this is one of our top hotels anywhere. Decor is anything but bland. Lots of colour and texture; not one of those plain corporate hotels for sure. Sleep quality is excellent with such comfortable beds. Located in the scenic heart of the city, you can get on a streetcar at the door and enjoy what San Francisco has to offer.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacances04
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Vacances04,

Thank you so much for your note! 'The jewel of San Francisco' is quite an accolade. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our attentive staff, extremely comfortable beds, and the rich colors and textures we incorporated into the new aesthetics.

Thank you for your comments about the location and proximity to the trolley. We hope to welcome you back soon.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here many times over the years before the recent renovation. The location is ideal --- right in the center of Nob Hill but the Huntigtton Hotel has lost its old world charm. The rooms are nice and clean but the lobby has completely changed the atmosphere of the hotel . The decor of orchids, overstuffed couches and lovely old antiques have now been replaced with bright red and purple velvet on the walls and on the cartoon style couches and chairs . There are also little chandeliers and crystals hanging from the lobby similar to what my grand-daughter has in her sweet sixteen style bedroom. Thankfully the Big Four restaurant wasn't changed although they now have a new chef. What the Huntigton still has is a fabulous location but even so I doubt we will be returning. There are other hotels on Nob Hill that we will be visiting on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Attyhbz
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Attyhbz,

We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience at the hotel. I'm terribly sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the new decor, especially seeing as how you've been our guest for many years. We understand the renovation is a sensitive issue with folks, as the hotel is near and dear to many. San Francisco is a special place, rich with culture and surrounded by a vibrant community. We wanted to incorporate what makes the city special with the new aesthetic. The chandeliers you noticed in the lobby have actually been there a great many years. Please do come back and see us again when you are on Nob Hill, whether it be for drinks and dinner in the Big 4 restaurant, or another look at the hotel.
Twin Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

Amazing renovation! The entire staff was excellent. From bellman to room service anytime of the day they are there to meet your needs. Wish we would have had more time to take in the beautiful church across the street. Our room was enormous for a boutique hotel. We would definitely stay there again! The car service to SFO was a nice touch

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jennifer R
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your spectacular review! Our staff will be delighted when I share this with them. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your large room (most of the rooms at the Scarlet Huntington are larger than industry standards), the top tier service, and location. Come back and see us again, Grace cathedral across the street is just incredible. I would recommend getting a hot tea or coffee (there's actually a small Pete's cafe inside the entrance of the church), checking out the stained glass windows, and walking the labyrinth located in the courtyard. We looking forward to welcoming you back; thanks again for taking the time to review us :)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We checked in the first day after the remodel. We'd not stayed here before, so we had no expectations.

The welcome from the staff was great and, throughout our stay, the staff was among the best of any hotel where I've stayed. They were truly exceptional.

The remodel was fine by us. The towels are fantastic and the beds were nice. Keep in mind that the HVAC wasn't changed (it was hard to find the right temperature in our room) and the gym is on the small side and the equipment is a bit old.

We got free internet in our room. I'm not sure if that's a new policy, but it was nice.

We enjoyed our stay overall. If you want a great staff, this was a hit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cpgecko
William M, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Cpgecko,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a thoughtful review. I'm so glad to hear our staff made you feel welcome and provided you with the top tier service we're known for. I see that you also enjoyed our fine linens and towels; we took great care in selecting such items for the hotel. Thank you again for the review!