We stayed over the weekend, for three nights just before Christmas. We stay here a lot, and love it, and because the hotel's been purchased by a Chinese hotelier, we wanted to stay again before they close and remodel it. Recent reviews are probably reflective of the pre-closing changes in service and furnishings left in the rooms at this point; the internet charge is new. Staff are anxious about being out of work for months, I'm sure.
We went up to the 8th floor to view the remodeled hallway, and were astonished to find carpet in shades of black and grey with red (!) accents, and small crystal chandeliers with red (!) accents, room number signs in black and red. It reminded us both of a brothel. It is clear they are changing the hotel utterly from its former British influence.
We've enjoyed the Huntington for many years for its fine service, elegance, local and long ownership, peaceful air, large rooms overlooking Grace Cathedral and Nob Hill Park, and complimentary tea service upon arrival. Red and black won't do it for us, but it might for whomever the new owners are courting as guests.
We had breakfast downstairs and enjoyed it very much; found it priced about average for the area. We also enjoyed the pianist in the bar in the evenings, and the understated holiday decorations were beautiful and elegant.
I visited the spa for a wonderful cinnamon-nutmeg scrub and a cup of tea; the spa is always lovely and the small indoor pool an oasis in the city, with a great view. I'm sure we'll continue to visit the spa, but sadly, perhaps not the hotel when it reopens in late Spring.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed to spark the imagination and provide an adventure for the senses, the much beloved and newly renovated Huntington Hotel re-emerges in May 2014 from a $15 million renovation as The Scarlet Huntington. The Scarlet Huntington builds upon the property's original charm, graciousness and exceptionally high standards while introducing locals and visitors to a unique and avant-garde style that is influenced by a vibrant Singapore Peranakan heritage woven together with the opulence of San Francisco. More than just a name, The Scarlet possesses a distinguished charm and charismatic aura, likened to a gracious hostess who indulges guests with a luxurious stay experience. Providing a warm ad familiar welcome, the iconic red of the former Huntington Hotel's exterior - as displayed in the brick facade and illuminated sign high atop the hotel - will permeate the new aesthetic, representing the hotel's heritage while embracing the passion and allure defined by The Scarlet; offering uninhibited luxury to every guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Scarlet Huntington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Huntington Hotel & Nob Hill San Francisco
- The Huntington Hotel And Nob Hill Spa