“Some Good, Some Bad”

Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Some Good, Some Bad”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Things I love about this place:

The bar (and bartenders) at night. A great place to gather
The Location. Walking distance to everything
The Park View Rooms. Beautiful View of the park. Loved people watching from my window in the morning

Things I did not love about this place:

You can hear EVERYTHING that happens in the room next door. I tried to stuff a towel under the door so that I could block out the sound of the neighbor's hairdryer. You can hear entirely too much from the bathroom....

There was not a desk in my room. I was there on business and needed to get a lot of work done. There was no where to put my computer... and no plug in's either.

There is no coffee in the room. This is a big problem for me as I drink coffee first thing every morning. They did have room service where you could purchase coffee... for $10.

Basically a love/hate relationship.

Room Tip: If you want to work while there make sure you ask for a room with a desk!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Candy R
HuntingtonHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Candy R.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the scene in the Big 4 bar in the evening. It's definitely a local favorite! Our Park View Rooms are certainly very popular for the same reasons you mentioned -- a great view of Huntington Park and Grace Cathedral, and perfect people watching.

Regarding the things you didn't love about your visit to the Huntington, thank you for bringing the noise from the room next door to our attention. We'll address this issue with our Engineering staff to see how we can remedy it for future guests. I'm sorry that ordering coffee was an inconvenience rather than having it in the room, and that it was uncomfortable for you to get work done in your room. We'll certainly take your comments to heart and look at how we can fix those issues as well.

I do hope that you enjoyed your stay at the Huntington Hotel overall, and I sincerely hope that you'll join us again for a relaxing stay upon your next visit to San Francisco.

All the best,
Kellie
Public Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

When I arrived at this hotel I had been camping for 3 weeks so it was a real luxury stay. I was completely shattered and needed somewhere to completely chill out. My room was large with everything I could possibly want. Very comfy bed and a lovely bathroom with great toiletries. There was also a large wardrobe and a fridge which came in handy for drinks. It was a complete contrast to camp sites and very welcome indeed!
The spa was to my mind completely overpriced so I didnt go in there which was a shame as I would've loved to enjoyed some time there before exploring the city. I dont mind paying for hotel spas but this was too over the top price wise.

My partner few out the same day I arrived in San Francisco to join me for my last leg of touring California and it was a great hotel for a couple to enjoy some luxury and escape the busy city. We even enjoyed a turn down service each night which was a lovely unexpected gesture.

The hotel itself is very well maintained and luxuriously fitted. A more genteel feel than many modern hotels although I did find that we were looked down on by the staff at times. None more so than in the breakfast room by a waiter who clearly thought he was above serving us! It wasn't even that great for what we paid. I guess we weren't the usual rich clientele they were used to!

Location wise it was well away from the sea front at the top of some very steep hills.This was not really a problem though as we used the cable cars and taxis. We did walk back from Fishermans Wharf the second night and we certainly felt it in our thighs the next day!

I did enjoy our stay at this hotel and we got a very good price considering we'd chosen to stay 3 nights over the busiest weekend that year (Americas Cup and an Armed Forces Celebration Weekend!). We have some great memories of San Francisco though and this hotel was overall a great base for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vanessa S.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Huntington Hotel. We're happy that you chose us for a relaxing respite after 3 weeks of camping. That's quite a feat! I'm pleased that you were happy with the size of your room, the comfortable bed, the turn down service, and the bathroom amenities. Regarding the Nob Hill Spa, were you aware that as hotel guests you had complimentary access to the spa's facilities, including the indoor relaxation pool, outdoor patio, workout room, steam and sauna rooms, and serene Zen Room? It sounds like it would have been just what the doctor ordered after a long camping trip!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us overall, but I'm sorry to hear that you felt looked down upon by some staff, particularly at breakfast in the restaurant. That is certainly not what we want our guests to feel when they stay with us -- we strive to be our guests' home away from home in San Francisco. Thank you for bringing this service issue to our attention. We'll be sure to address it with our staff so we can improve our service level and make sure that all of our guests feel welcome at all times.

We do hope to be your home base again for your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you for staying with us, and we wish you safe and happy travels!

Cheers,
Kellie
Public Relations Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel is olde world charm but with excellent standard large rooms with good facilities. Just a 10 minute walk (downhill) to Union Sq and a few minutes from the tram stop the location is excellent for tourists & business whilst being quiet at night. The restaurant is very expensive and wuite dark for dining especially at breakfast.
Spa and pool area are really great but the staff don't like if you splash in the pool as they have to come out and mop up (design fault in there somewhere?). Small outdoor sun area with only space for about 6 people at any time.
Overall excellent value for money and really high standards in an hotel that has a really nice individual style

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel made a very good trip an over the top experience for us. Joan at the front desk was extremely accommodating and made sure that our stay was excellent. There was a bottle of champagne awaiting us in our hotel room welcoming us to San Francisco & The Huntington.

All the staff was great in making sure we knew the ins and outs of San Francisco so we didn't find ourselves without a way to get around this very hilly city. We definitely plan on coming back to San Francisco and would only be too happy to stay at the Huntington again. Also, the area is at the top of a very big hill (Nob Hill) but a Cable Car / Trolly stop is right in front of the hotel so it's not as inconvenient as one may originally think. Enjoy your stay. We did!

Room Tip: Every side has a great view but ours had a view of the Bay Bridge and Downtown facing the South of N...
1 Thank TopTradr
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We really enjoyed our two night stay. The Huntington was an apartment converted many years ago. The rooms are very spacious with high ceilings. Our room was on the 6 floor and had a wonderful view of the park and San Francisco Bay. The Nob Hill location is prestigious and about as good as it gets. The wooden bar has an old San Francisco feel. Cozy, dimly lite, and friendly. The Piano Player has been there for more than 20 years.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel located in the Nob Hill area (above Union Square) is quite a treat. This is what a real hotel and spa should look and feel like. I love the details and effort from this hotel. Nothing pretentious, fine quality hotel that is worth spending money for. Huntington - I'll see you again.

Customer Service
- Friendly and consistent
- Doorman knowledgable of whereabouts and can guide you to nearby to dos.

Room
- Our room (408) had an amazing view overseeing Union Square
- Large and clean room
- Comfortable beds
- Bathroom was perfect - great amenities and that water flow from the shower head - my my!
- The sunlight hitting the bathroom offered a warmth and great natural lighting.
- Large closet space
- Beautiful chaise
- Simple and elegant interior design
- Great variety of magazines offered
- We just stayed for the night but the house keeping team did polish up our room (without request) and came back to a clean room with water bottles near the bed side (now that's commendable service)
- Local newspaper available on request

Spa
- Beautiful and clean
- Steam Room and Dry Sauna - perfect
- Great pool for non swimmers and divers that is...
- Meditation room! (relaxing and what else? Delicious trail mix offered!)
- Outdoor balcony with an amazing view and good amount of sun.
- Fruits/Iced Tea/ Hot Tea available for you to enjoy
- Attentive staff who is always around in case you need anything.

Location
- Nob Hill area (above Union Square) totally walkable to Union Square, but quite hilly - so if you have fancy footwear - plan accordingly.
- Quiet
- The view! The view! The view! Depending on what room you are in, of course.

Other amenities offered by the hotel (without reviews since we opted out)
- Massage, Facial, etc...
- Gym
- Restaurant

Areas for Growth
- Lobby is a bit dark
- Full length mirror in room

Thank you Geraldine and Huntington hotel for your service and hospitality. I enjoyed my time.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

You should stay here. I would again. The suites are huge, the bellman is polite and knowledgeable, the room service was delicious, as was their breakfast restaurant & there was a vast bathroom setup with L'Occitane bathroom products.. My only regret is not being able to use the pool and spa since we had kids... will just have to come back.

Room Tip: The view near the Cathedral was real pretty,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family