“Good old fashioned hotel with excellent service”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were a family of four travelling and were upgraded to two suite rooms on check in. The facilities were spacious and the staff were very curteous. Would happily stay again on business and pleasure. Pool is a little small.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Lovely old style hotel with amazing staff, we received a complimentary bottle of champagne and gifts from the spa as it was our anniversary so that was a lovely touch. The spa are is great, just what u need after a day around San Fran. Be warned the hotel is on top of a steep steep hill, but it can be reached by cable car so it's all good, however San Francisco is foggy and chilly so come prepared, unlike us, it can be a bit of a shock at first, but the city is amazing, cultured and uniquely diverse, do treat yourself to a bit of luxury, it's well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This review is overdue - I stayed at the Huntington Hotel just after the 4th of July. I stayed in a city view suite for the first time - it is well worth the extra cost and my mother agreed. The views are phenomenal - I could see Grace Cathedral and the park.

The flawless service keeps me returning to the Huntington time after time. It was close to my birthday and I found a complimentary chilled bottle of champagne with a red rose in a vase. Prompty upon arrival, the front desk staff checked if our room was ready ahead of time and offered us coffee/tea. Service is always performed with a smile and you feel genuinely welcome.

I also like the quiet atmosphere - you are taking a risk when you sleep overnight in San Francisco, but I have never experienced this problem at the Huntington - I am a light sleeper. The bed is extremely comfortable and the bathroom has a lovely deep bathtub which is perfect for a long hot soak.The Huntington's rooms run large by San Francisco standards - another plus.

The room service is very reasonably priced and delicious. I had a cheese omelet for dinner with a side of potatoes and it was under $16 - along with the complimentary bottle of champagne I felt well fed. I also enjoyed breakfast immensely in the lobby - the Big 4 restaurant has the feel of an exclusive gentleman's club and has retained the quality of a classier era in San Francisco. I strongly recommend any egg dish - I have tried their poached eggs and they were done perfectly.
Coffee was delicious. The breakfast prices are not low, but with the wonderful atmosphere and delicious food/beverages, I didn't mind.

I always leave the Huntington vowing to come back whenever possible. The experience is always memorable.

Room Tip: I have stayed in a superior room and the city view suite and although you will pay more for a city s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great location at the top of Nob Hill in San Francisco, but the hotel is so old in need of repair, serious repair. We stayed on the 7th floor overlooking Grace Cathedral and the Fairmont Hotel and Mark Hopkins hotels. But the room was so old that the chrome was falling off the crome shink handles. The toilet was so small we barely fit on the seat and I only weigh 160 pounds. The walls are so thin that when the apartment next to us came in at 10 pm we would clearly hear every word they said as if they were in our room just having a conversation. I told the front desk and they knew of the problems and said the hotel had just been sold and the new owners would address these problems. The consierge was busy on the phone and would not very helpful and did not know where a restaruant was located and gave us the wrong directions. The restuarant on site was wonderful and had wonderful breakfast. Breakfast for 2 came to $38.00 before the tip. The parking is $ 45.00 per night before a tip to the door man. The beds were nice, room had a refrigerator but no coffee maker and no coffee in the room. You have to go downstairs and buy a coffee for $5.00. The real plus for the hotel is the spa and indoor pool. Wonderful, but you need reservations and not sure of the costs. I would not return to this hotel unless they update the hotel and make it consistent with the other great hotels in San Francisco. It is way overpriced for what you receive. Stay at the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins just down the street if you want the Nob Hill experience and are willing to pay for the experience.

Room Tip: stayed in room 703 which is one of the smaller rooms. They first gave us 911 which was next to the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ESTEVE A
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is so timeless. The original architecture and wood work on the inside is beautiful. The rooms have been renovated and are modern traditional. The best place about the hotel is the nob hill spa, which is definitely one of the best in San Francisco.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel on top of Nob Hill across from Grace Cathedral. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. The room was very spacious with a modern bathroom. We didn't eat in the restaurant, so can't comment. We had a coupon so it was quite affordable. One note of caution, Parking is very expensive ($44 per night). We parked on the street, but be careful to read all the signs on the block to avoid parking when you shouldn't. Grace Cathedral parking is cheaper (the bell man pointed me in that direction). Also there's a Peet's in Grace Cathedral to get coffee! My wife used the spa and enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I just spent five nights at the Huntington. It's a tranquil refuge from downtown SF, and our room was simply delightful. But we did have one significant problem: no wifi throughout our stay. Wifi at the hotel is provided by AT&T; if there is a problem, you call them, not the hotel. I did this, without any success, but with promises that they were going to "escalate" our problem, with the hotel management. Nothing happened, so we told the hotel about our problem. The concierge gave us a cock and bull story about connectivity being a problem throughout San Francisco - this may well be true, but was irrelevant to our problem, evidenced by the fact that the free wifi in the lobby worked fine. So we managed, sitting in the lobby or in a nearby cafe. But it irritates me that a hotel of this quality should completely outsource its wifi service and at the same time outsource any responsibility for the service. ( also find it irritating that they charge for wifi on top of the room charge). But frankly, the hotel management was simply not interested in our connectivity problem, and offered no solution - beyond sitting in the lobby. They made no mention of AT&T escalating the problem with them, and did not even offer to contact AT&T. I find this unacceptable in a hotel that wants to be world class.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family