Finally was able to take advantage of a deal offered at a Nob Hill Hotel! The Huntington was a former residential apartment hotel when originally opened, When it changed to a regular hotel they did not subdivide the rooms. Because of this, the rooms are much larger than typical SF hotel rooms. Our 8th floor room had a sitting area complete with sofa, coffee table and large writing desk. Some of the furniture was a little worn but it still allowed you to imagine what it might have been like living in a 1st class residential hotel in the 1920's atop of Nob Hill. The room faced Taylor St. and had a partial view of Grace Cathedral. (As we were leaving, the maid had a door open to a room that faced California St. As I peeked in, I realized the room was smaller but the view was fantastic). One problem that I had with our larger room was the TV was on the far wall. It made it perfect if you were sitting in the living room area but was a little too far to enjoy from the bed.
Our package included breakfast. The 1st morning we did venture down to the Big 4 Restaurant. The service was fantastic. Our waiter, gave us many tourist tips. The regular coffee was great. (The restaurant opens at 0700 but the lobby has the same great coffee available before that time. The last morning I decided to get up early. It was nice to be able to get a coffee to go while I took an early morning walk thru the lovely area. I do this every time I go to SF usually stopping at a Starbucks-there are no SBs on the hill, so this is a nice touch to have good coffee available. The rest of the mornings we used our breakfast voucher and splurged on room service-relaxing relaxing relaxing-to start our day that way, All of the entrees we ordered were delicious. Again service impeccable.
Also loved that there is a doorman and only one way into lobby. Not several entrances where people are coming and going. Concierge available and helpful.
Initially was told free Wifi only available in lobby. I brought my tablet down there as I wanted to look something up but couldn't get on. Concierge came over and helped me figure it out. Apparently the Wifi was available and free in the room as I was not charged when I later when I used it in my room.
I had a massage in the spa- a little pricey at $130 for 50 minutes but the spa area is very nice. I loved it because no children under 16 years old are not allowed the in pool or jacuzzi. (for those with children: Handerly, Palace, Sheraton at the wharf, Marriott on Market all allow children at their pools), This made the Spa experience very relaxing. Use of pool, jacuzzi and sun deck free with hotel stay.
The California Cable Car stops right in front of hotel. You can buy an all day pass for the Cable Cars and buses for $14 directly from the Cable Car attendant. You cannot buy these from the busdrivers. Each Cable Car ride is $6 and bus is $2. So if you plan to travel throughout the city, this may be a good option to invest in. No bus lines to my knowledge run in front of the hotel so you have to use the Cable Car (which is fun anyway) or walked to another street to access the busline. (The hotel also says they have a limo that goes to Union Square) The other thing about the California Cable car is that it is not as crowded as the other 2 lines and so I find it more enjoyable to ride. We rode the other line in the evening down to the Wharf area. It was so crowded that you really couldn't see anything if you were inside.
While I love the hustle and bustle of Union Square, it is nice to be in an area that is peaceful. Across the street is Grace Cathedral-looking somewhat like Notre Dame. It has a replica of the Ghilberti Doors. Across the street is Huntington Park. It has a replica of the Tortoise Fountain from Rome.
So to wrap it up, Great Service, great hotel and spa, and great area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed to spark the imagination and provide an adventure for the senses, the much beloved and newly renovated Huntington Hotel re-emerges in May 2014 from a $15 million renovation as The Scarlet Huntington. The Scarlet Huntington builds upon the property's original charm, graciousness and exceptionally high standards while introducing locals and visitors to a unique and avant-garde style that is influenced by a vibrant Singapore Peranakan heritage woven together with the opulence of San Francisco. More than just a name, The Scarlet possesses a distinguished charm and charismatic aura, likened to a gracious hostess who indulges guests with a luxurious stay experience. Providing a warm ad familiar welcome, the iconic red of the former Huntington Hotel's exterior - as displayed in the brick facade and illuminated sign high atop the hotel - will permeate the new aesthetic, representing the hotel's heritage while embracing the passion and allure defined by The Scarlet; offering uninhibited luxury to every guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your The Scarlet Huntington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Huntington Hotel & Nob Hill San Francisco
- The Huntington Hotel And Nob Hill Spa