“Road Trip!”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Decided to stay somewhere with a bit of class in SanFran whilst road tripping round Cali, Very impressive hotel, great big room(basically an apartment size, was a standard twin room), very nicely furnished and decorated (fridge with a key, how cool is that?) The bar was classy, not in a tacky american classy way, more like nice an old bar in an English country estate kind of feel, chap playing the piano all night, nice selection of drinks.
We walked all over the place from this hotel, obviously be prepared for the walk back up the hill if you have this idea too!! Close to "Tenderloin" area which is a bit shady at night but didnt feel threatened at all. You can head towards Pier 39 and walk through china town and little italy, it is literally like walking through 3 or 4 countrys within an hour! Only negative point to this place was the price of the parking (we didnt use the car in SF either) the price of parking is expensive all over this city so its not exactly a dig at the hotel, the car was parked and brought round to the front for us which was very handy, all in all a great place to stay. I would stay here again when next in SanFran for sure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sam B

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I recently spent 5 days at the Huntington for a work trip. Upon arriving I felt as if I'd be whisked back in time with the regal entrance and pianist playing in the restaurant. The staff were thoughtful and friendly and the atmosphere extremely relaxing. Room service exceeded my expectations with a silver tray and beautiful fresh blooms on the tray each time. Though it's an older hotel it doesn't show, extreme care has been taken to keep the rooms in excellent shape. Take time to sit by the indoor pool and order a glass of wine, then relax in the steam room and sauna.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2012

If my family consisted of just myself and my husband then yes I'd say this was a fine old hotel. The room we had was nice but the corridor was tired looking. We didn't have any tea or coffee facilities and we were given 1 small bottle of water at night between us. Now add 2 children to the picture and no extra water, plus the children were not wanted in the restaurant in case they disturbed the other guests, so finding somewhere to eat on our first night in San Francisco after 24 hours of travel proved to be very testing. The following morning we were let into the restaurant but we were kept in a differant section to the other guests. The beautiful Angie went someway to make up for how we were treated by being nice to the children.Unfortunately we had 3 nights to do! I booked this hotel purely because it had a pool and I knew the children wanted to swim only to discover on arrival that children under 16 are not allowed to use the pool, so NO I will not be recommending this hotel as a family friendly hotel. I do understand the award winning standards have to be maintained but there is no excuse for the way that we were treated

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank pippaMayo
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Like many people, I view the big chain hotels as something of a mixed bag: they supply a fairly generic product, but you know what to expect. Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc., all deliver a pretty standard level of service -- sometimes exceeded and occasionally disappointing, but on average satisfying and unmemorable. So it was with some trepidation that my wife and I booked a room at the Huntington. We wanted to try something different, and we knew from previous visits that Nob Hill would be a great central location from which to tour the city, walk to neighborhood restaurants, and utilize transportation options other than a car.

We need not have worried. The Huntington is charming, gracious, and comfortable. The first room we were offered was a beautiful corner room with stunning views of the city. However, my teenage son was with us, and we felt we would be more comfortable in a larger room. Without any hesitation or bother, we were next offered a beautiful, large room with a sitting area (sofa, table, and chairs), desk, small foyer, and mirrored bar. It was more than enough room for the three of us. The bathroom and changing room were spacious and modern. The beds were very comfortable, and there are numerous extra pillows and linens if required. Service is exemplary: the doormen were friendly and helpful, always interested in what we were going to see or do; maid service was unobtrusive, providing turndown service and fresh ice in the ice bucket each evening; the front desk was always happy to help with anything, from making a change in the room to making change from a 50 dollar bill. We didn't feel pampered so much as we felt we were honored guests in a very large home.

Most telling was a conversation we had with another guest as we were (reluctantly) leaving. He visits San Francisco 3-4 times/year from out of the country. He said that he and his wife always stay at the Huntington, and would never dream of staying anywhere else. "It's not just a wonderful hotel, it's our home in San Francisco," he said, I can understand how he feels.

Room Tip: They have rooms in several configurations. If the room you have is not to your liking, ask for anot...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jimathome
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. A real nice hotel, with a great location up top Nob Hill. Street car right out the door, or put your walking shoes on and head down california to grant and enjoy China town, another 8+ quick blocks and you are in little italy. Love it!

Room Tip: all rooms have great views! I stayed on 10th floor, and it was amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott R
Reviewed April 13, 2012

There may be a hundred choices for massages and pedicures in SF, but the Huntington Spa gives you a special experience with impeccable service, access to one of the best pools with a view of the city, and all in a warm, friendly atmosphere. Today I received my fourth spa service at Nob Hill Spa and it is something I do for myself every time I visit. The massages and pedicures are unrivaled with regard to cleanliness, professionalism and friendliness. The spa staff are not snobby like many other spas of this caliber. I recommend this spa to everyone who visits SF.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank 196rndthewrld
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Due to privacy reasons I am unable to discuss my situation in detail here in TripAdvisor, but I am here to say that The Huntington Hotel is THE BEST HOTEL SERVICE that I have EVER experienced ANYWHERE in the WORLD. Chris at the Concierge Desk is an Angel and George is the MOST compassionate Hotel Business person that I have ever known.

I am an executive world-wide business traveler and never have I experienced this level of service and personal care...unprecedented in my experience

If you value businesses with integrity, family values but most of all a compassionate Heart, you MUST patronize this amazing San Francisco establishment. I will ALWAYS stay here "happily-ever-after" whenever I am in San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family