“location, accomodations and service all were excellent at this classic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #64 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas, USA
“location, accomodations and service all were excellent at this classic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

The location on top of Nob Hill in a nice part of downtown SF is excellent. Easy access to all of SF and no homeless/druggies outside. I walked to Union Square and Chinatown and took the cable cars back to the hotel.
I booked the room over the phone while getting in to SF after midnight and it was very easy. On arrival service was very good, night manager & staff were respectful and cordial. They upgraded my room because of my Priority Club membership.
The room had a great view of the city and the bay (and I think Alcatraz Island). Comfortable beds, quiet and well furnished, the room was everything I want from a quality hotel (besides TV & Internet, more below). It was clean, the windows opened, the thermostat worked, everything worked. It's an old hotel but the rooms felt new and fresh with a classic style that I liked.
Great shower and toiletries, good water pressure, much better than most places I've been to in Cali. Toilets do flush differently but work fine, my only request for the bathroom would be a ventilation fan but it might not be possible to add one to a building from the 1920s without lowering the ceiling if it's even possible. Other guests using the bathroom didn't wake me.
The hotel bar is definitely worth visiting, great view but expensive drinks and a limited menu. The concierge helped with sending parcels and scheduling a ride to the airport, all the staff were helpful with directions, taxis, and recommending things to do and places to eat in the area. They provided a large umbrella that I could take out with me which came in handy as I didn't bring my own and it rained a little every day I was there.
OK, the TV was an old tube TV, the kind that is very heavy. It was plenty big and viewable and I could watch The Daily Show and The NBA Western Conference Finals games, so I thought it was good channel selection. In my experience many hotels' don't include TNT or Comedy Central even if they have HBO and Showtime.
You have to pay for internet and I wish it was free. All the Holiday Inn / Intercontinental hotels I've been to are like that, and their long stay suites I've stayed in (Candlewood Suites) have free internet. I think they have some agreement or corporate standard, I WISH they would make the internet free like many other hotels do.

Overall I really liked this hotel. Parking is expensive but it's like that everywhere I looked in SF. It isn't the cheapest nor most prestigious hotel but it is a very classy place with great rooms and service in what I think is the best location in SF for site seeing. It is an older hotel but it felt and looked well maintained, almost like a historic landmark. I read about its history and ignoring the modern technology I imagine it's much the same now as it was back in the 1940s when sailors met their sweethearts there before shipping off to fight in WW2 in the Pacific. The TV could use an upgrade and a vent fan in the bathroom would be nice but it should say something that parking and those are the only things I have to list as negatives. I will stay there next time I'm in SF for sure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ATXworldwide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Excellent couteous service. Clean and well managed. Responsive to guest needs.
Good location.

We really appreciated being treated respectfully.

Sheila Zarb-Harper

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

My husband I were excited to try the Mark Hopkins for our 4th of July trip. We had stayed at the Fairmont across the street and loved it but decided to give the Mark Hopkins a try. We couldn't get a better rate than their special prepaid rate of $109 per night. The room was nicely decorated but small. We were on the 15th floor and the hotel is at the top of a hill so the views are amazing. The bed was extremely comfortable. I love the way they left chocolates on our bed as part of their turn down service. We also received a 15% discount at Bloomingdales just for being a Mark Hopkins guest. I love the hotel's location. I always enjoy walking up the extremely steep hill after a long day of eating all over the city. It's close to Union Square, Market Street and Chinatown. The one disappointing point to mention is that the when the television wasn't working we called down for assistance and were told that someone would be up to our room right away. After an hour of waiting, we told them to forget it. So, service could have been a little more attentive. Also, even as guests of the hotel, there is a charge to use the business center. We wanted to check in for our flights so we asked about using the business center. They told us there would be a charge. For the price we paid, the hotel was an amazing deal. If we had paid their normal rates, I think I would have been very disappointed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

This was the first part of our honeymoon and my wife loved it, or more specifically she loved the Top of The Mark bar / restaurant which is at the top of the Mark Hopkins.

The hotel is very impressive looking (and is next to the equally impressive Fairmont Hotel) at the top of Nob Hill. The staff were very efficient and helpful, and the room, a std with King size bed, was a good size with a great view over the Pacific Union Club. However the bathroom was incredibly small, so small that it was a challenge to open and close the door from inside. The other issue for me was that trams run along the front of the hotel. Great for getting up and down the hill but the noise of the trams and the traffic in general was very loud - the windows are an old design and therefore don't really keep the noise out especially on the 6th floor where we were. This would probably not be an issue higher up or on the other side of the building, so worth bearing in mind when you book.
The Top of The Mark Bar is the real selling point of the hotel for me, although you don't have to be a guest of the hotel to visit the bar. It does snacks and light dining at between $15 & $25 which are probably plenty for most people, and I'd say it's a must-do if you are in San Francisco. It's on the 19th floor and gives great views of the city and a peek at the GG Bridge. They do great Martinis for $14, wine starting around $9, beers for $7 - not cheap but it's a special place so probably worth a special occasion rather than a full drinking session, although it's not a stuffy place.
On the Monday there was no cover charge but on other days there may be a cover charge of $5 or $10 after 7:30pm when there is a band on, and when we went on a Thursday there were a few couples dancing to the jazz band - very elegant way to spend an evening.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
san angelo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

Booked our room in adavance through Southwest. We knew we were going to be late so we called to confirm our room. It was confirmed--1 room with 2 queen beds. Got there it had been given away. The night mgr. PEREZE LOVETT was very RUDE to us. Wanted us to take a room with a roll away for the same price. Never tried to accomodate us.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank bats_4
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed in the standard rooms on the 5th floor, poor view and small room, but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The towels are smaller than any hotel that I've ever ben into. Water pressure was very low.
The internet charge is between 15 to 20 dollars a day!!
Every hotel asks for your credit card info for accidentals, But they usually don't charge you unless needed.When we checked out, I had a prepaid reservation and cleared my account upon checking out, but they charged my card for the amount of 100 a day without letting me know. When I called and asked why, they just replied that this is our policy and I said it was nice to let me know they charge it anyway, they didn't even apologize for this.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Matamata, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

Nice vintage hotel with grandure..didnt make it to the "amazing bar" on the top floor due to having to pay cover charge... but nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple