2,751 results
All reviewsnob hillmark restaurantcable cargrace cathedralhistoric hotelunion squarethe club loungetop floorcalifornia streetper dayan older hotelan upgradewater pressurethe golden gate bridgecorner roomvalet parkingthe financial district
Reviewed September 22, 2009

On a last minute whim I decided to attending opening day of the 2009 Baseball season in San Francisco. Even with wet weather during my visit to SF, my stay at the Mark Hopkins made things very comfortable. Also everyone I met in the hotel, from the check in clerk to the concierge were just as nice as could be. I went during the low season at the height of the economic downturn and was able to get a reasonable rate. They even upgraded me to a junior suite upon arrival. Whatever the reasoning, it was appreciated and the space was well-laid out, the decor a mix of modern and vintage, and well cared for. Not like some hotels that feature "traditional" decor. The bed was great with a TV in the bedroom as well. The bathroom was also very decorative and it almost felt like home. Please see my pics. All in all, it was a very pleasant couple of days. I enjoyed learning about the history of the hotel and my view was nice as well. You know this was one place I felt secure in - meaning "safe" and it was a warm and friendly environment. I'll stay here again in the future if rooms are available. I had a sense that I was fortunate to be able to travel when most of America was staying home. The staff seemed very appreciative I chose their hotel to host my stay. Oh- and the street cars are very accessible- like right on the corner of the hotel (from what I remember) and it made my visit all the much more convenient.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Being a New Yorker now living in LA, I'm embarassed to say I had never been to San Fransisco. So when I had to go recently, I relied heavily on tripadvisor.

Overall, the reviews gave what turned out to be a good representation of what you get at the Hopkins. The best thing I can say is that the location is fabulous for pretty much anywhere you need to get to (in my case the medical center at UCSF) in this beautifully compact city.

But the Hopkins is a dowager on its last legs, analogous to a pre-apartment Plaza in New York, if it hadn't been upgraded for a few decades, and is at best limping along on its much faded reputation of any glamour or prestige. The 'Top of the Mark' as I guess it's known, is an gustatory embarrassment. Stay far away. The staff, though pleasant people, like the rest of the hotel definitely is not in possession of the crispness, nor pretensions or hauteur, of a cutting edge, big dollar hotel.

That said though, the place does have a definite abundance of character, faded it may be, which is appealing in and of itself. Just make sure you realize that you are not going to get current five star luxury, rather the distant echoes of such a hostelry. For a one night stay, at $129 (which I paid for with AMEX points), I have to say I would do the same for a similar non-vaction or business stay. If I was traveling on the corporate dime, or looking for a luxiorous spot for a pleasurable stay, then no, this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank dennislosangeles
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Good Lord, where do I begin, at check in there was a major miscommunication that the staff did not feel necissary to take responsibility for. The room was NOT what we were promised, the doorbell was broken and rang at will during our stay, housekeeping did not show the first day, they covered their tails by trying to tell us we refused service and hour after we left our room and when house keeping DID show up the maid had the audacity to ask if she could take her break first, IT WAS 8:00 AT NIGHT, after a long day of sightweeing all we wanted was roomservice and bed. While we waited in the Club Room, we were asked if we'd like a drink while we waited, and then they gave US the bill. If you'd like to be treated like royalty, stay in a Holiday Inn, they will treat you better than this "4 star" hotel. After letters to the General Manager and the Home office, we got, "Sorry your stay sucked, we will make sure in the future this never happens" How does this help US? This is how we were treated for my sisters 40th birthday, something wonderful for her to remember huh? However San Francisco was AMAZING, go, just dont bother with this hotel.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizabee1206
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I was a bit concerned when I read about someone's experience with bed bugs. I am happy to report that we had three separate rooms and not a single bug! The room was extremely clean and the hotel was great. The concierge was very helpful in booking a car for us and steering us toward good restaurants. This is an elegant old hotel with beautiful views and classic rooms. Water pressure was not great but the bath products more than made up for that!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This was my second stay at the Mark Hopkins. It is truly a landmark in a wonderful location, if you don't mind grueling walking workouts up and down hills. The staff is quite friendly and helpful and the interior is out of the past. My one complaint is to echo what has been said by other Tripadvisor contributors: the pipes are noisy! We had to change rooms after our first night due to noise in the pipes. This noise goes beyond hearing flushing toilets which is minor compared to the plumbing moans and groans in the wall. Our second room was better but not flawless. Other that the musical accompaniment from the bathroom walls, the room was lovely and I really enjoyed being able to open the windows to get some fresh air. There is a wonderful Italian coffee shop one block away at the back of the Fairmont Hotel that is an oasis, great for breakfast or an afternoon coffee. I really enjoyed being so close to Chinatown and Northbeach, either by hoofing it or by the trolley. I would return to this hotel, maybe with some good earplugs.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple