2,751 results
All reviewsnob hillmark restaurantcable cargrace cathedralhistoric hotelunion squarethe club loungetop floorcalifornia streetper dayan older hotelhotel guestsan upgradewater pressurethe golden gate bridgecorner roomvalet parking
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in August.

The hotel is located in a pretty nice part of town, however you are in pretty close proximity to some setchy areas. It is easy to walk to the big famous square (name escapes me right now) and there is easy access to all the main amenities of San Fran.

The hotel is apparently a very historic hotel, and you can tell by the architecture.

The lobby is nothing special, but the rooms are large and elegant. Our room was not in the best location (2nd floor right above the main entrance) but everything worked out okay. Asked front desk about moving but they were fully booked. Oh well.

Overall the Intercontinental lived up to its name. The staff were friendly/knowledgeable, and always recommended great restaurants.

We got a nice room for $135/night, so it was superb value. I would say anything under $180 would be of good value for this place.

*Please note: parking will cost you an arm and a leg and there is no restaurant in the hotel.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

We booked the MH Intercontinental for our anniversary trip and got a great price ($114 per night.) I called the hotel to let them know it was our anniversary and they had a nice card and chocolates in the room for us. It was nice but we would have preferred wine or champagne, which is the gift usually provided by the other Intercontinental hotels where we have stayed for a significant event.
My husband is platinum priority club and an ambassador and we were upgraded to a large room but were disappointed it was not on a higher floor. The views were still pretty good.
The room was a little musty but the windows opened a little and that took care it. It was nice to be able to open the windows but it did let in the street noise, mainly cable cars.
The bathroom was small, typical of older hotels. The towels were not of the high quality we are accustom to from this hotel brand but they were fine. The room furnishings were attractive but there was not enough drawer space for 2 people for 3 nights. We ended up hanging most of our clothes on hangers, which were provided right away when we called.
The TV was an older model (not a flat screen) but worked fine. There was also a clock radio/CD player in the room.
The location of the hotel was nice, Nob Hill is beautiful and quiet and there is a cable car stop right down the street from the hotel....note that this means up the hill on the way home! There is not much in the immediate area but shops and restaurants are close by. I preferred this area to both Union Square and Fisheman's Wharf, which seemed touristy and were crowded.
We did not experience any issues with any of the hotel staff, found everyone to be friendly and helpful. We did enjoy a drink at the Top of the Mark and were seated right away by a friendly hostess. The concierge provided good info on getting the MUNI pass. and the doormen hailed cabs. One complaint was that our neighbor had room service and the cart with dirty dishes sat in the hall for over 12 hours.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again provided the price was under $200.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel was severely lacking in courteous people. It seemed the farther up the chain of command we got, the ruder people became. The bell men were jovial and friendly and helpful, and that was about it. The hotel messed up our reservation and when it was finally straightened out, they sent us up to rooms on the ninth floor, a smoking floor. Not a huge deal for us since a few of us are smokers but I can imagine someone who hates the smell of cigarette smoke would be very displeased. In our room, we found champagne and were feeling properly mollified about the mistake and rudeness of the desk...until someone showed up a little later to take the champagne back! (Which we had already poured to toast to the lovely view). They said they needed the champagne back because it was for somebody else and they put it in our room accidentally!! My friends and I were incredibly insulted that they had the nerve to ask for it back! Aside from the not so warm welcome, the rooms were pleasant and clean. The housekeeping staff, however, seemed insulted that we would ask not to be disturbed and actually came in to change out the towels and everything anyway. The wind really whipped through our floor and was incredibly loud, which was kind of off-putting. I find it hilarious that another reviewer remarked on the rudeness of the woman who works at the desk at the Top of the Mark because we had the exact same experience. This woman was haughty and actually rolled her eyes and spoke in a manner that ensured us that she was insulted that we should even speak to her. When we asked if some of our party could be seated without the rest if she called on us because a few of us had to run back downstairs, she actually laughed this insulting laugh and told us, "fine but you better hurry." I'm not sure who she thought she was but it put a sour tone on the whole experience at the bar, which was very nice and the music was very enjoyable. Not really a 360 view though, if you want to be picky. Bit of an older crowd than we expected, we were the youngest people there, and we are in our late 20's and early 30's. As we checked out we found out that they charge quite a bit for local calls, INCLUDING A CALL TO THE TOP OF THE MARK. So we had to toss on another 5 dollars for ordering pizza down the street and calling the bar inside the hotel. We fully expected to be charged for the champagne we accidentally received but luckily we weren't. Not the best experience for the price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank SoCal262
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I recently spent a long weekend at the InterContinental with my girlfriends for my bachelorette party. I booked through a travel site in May, and followed up the booking with several phone calls to ensure that our requests were received (nothing earth shattering, 2 beds in both rooms, non smoking - connecting was incredibly important). I should have known something was amiss when each time I called, it rang over 10 times. I was assured that it would not be a problem each time.

When I showed up to check in - the woman at the front desk said there were absolutely no notes in my file and that she had booked me into two king bed, smoking rooms! After much attitude, the manager came out - gave me MORE attitude and said that the only way she could get us two double beds in each room was to be on a smoking floor. Ridiculous.

The rooms themselves were not too bad in terms of size and decoration. Unfortunately, the walls were so paper thin that we were woken up several times by our "neighbors" flushing their toilet and showering. It was so loud in our room that it felt like they were IN our room, showering. The view was spectacular from our room and was pretty much it's saving grace.

We decided that we did not want housekeeping in our room as it was very crowded with luggage and we did not want someone else in our things. When we left the room on the first day, the housekeeper started yelling at us, asking us why we didn't want her in our room and what we were doing in there! Unbelievable! In case we missed her point, she was kind enough to repeat all these accusations the second day.

The conceirge was non-existent during our stay, and the only nice people we seemed to encounter were the doormen. The bell hop was rather rude when we were trying to ask them to hold our luggage on the day of our departure, but the rude employee of the year award goes to the unholy #&!$! who works the desk at Top of the Mark. We couldn't get answers from the front desk or anyone to answer the phone up there so we took the elevator up to ask our questions in person. We weren't dressed to go into the bar yet, and the looks we received from her definitely said that she felt the same. She was incredibly rude, unwilling to answer our questions and cutting us off in the middle of every sentence.

When I tried to voice these issues to the front desk when I checked out he just simply said "Sorry to hear it" and moved onto the next customer. That's the attitude you're going to get at every turn.

Some traveler tips:
-The hike up the hill to this hotel is ridiculous. Take the trolley and get a day pass. It's well worth it!
-The closest "store" to this location is E&E Fine Foods and you will pay for the "convenience" so beware!
-Don't even use the phone to call Top of the Mark. Local calls were $1.25 each - and they even billed us for calling their own restaurant!
-Avoid Top of the Mark - while the view is spectacular, the wait and service are not worth it. If you're under 50, it's not a "hot spot"!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank cyanne14
Reviewed August 9, 2009

my husband and I just returned from 5 wonderful nights at the Mark Hopkins. Sincce we have never been to San Francisco before,I used a combination of Trip Advisor and AARP to select a hotel. We had an excellent package that included breakfast and parking ( which a lot of reviewers complain about the cost of both),so book directly with the hotel for the best rates on packages. Every staff member was attentive and friendly. The room we had on the 15th floor faced south, with a wonderful view. Didnot do top of the mark at night,as we do not do the bar scene, and had breakfast there most mornings. We had a king bed,that was comfy. Room service was reasonable and quick ( we ordered pizza after returning from the night alcatraz tour - which is also a must and needs to book early before leaving home).Concierge helped us book city tour. Definitely buy a city pass or muni pass so you can go wherever and whenever, as you do tire from all the walking. We found out August is the height of tourist season, so be patient, as you may have to wait in line for Cable cars and trolleys- but remember you are on vacation to relax, and the Mark Hopins is great for that.