2,793 results
All reviews nob hill mark restaurant cable car grace cathedral historic hotel union square the club lounge top floor california street an older hotel per day an upgrade corner room water pressure the golden gate bridge valet parking fisherman's wharf
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Booked a 4 night stay with reward points. Double bedded room with view of harbour and Fairmont hotel, reasonably sized room, well furnished and clean, beds super comfy, very large luxurious bathroom.

Breakfast and cocktails at the Top of The Mark, very expensive, but well worth it for the views and the experience.

If you are looking for a huge bling style hotel, with all the "lobby experience" stuff then this hotel is not for you. This is a classic historical hotel, were the luxury is understated, not over the top.

The Mark Hopkins is very centrally located, although you do need to walk up and down hills to get anywhere - but this is San Fancisco! They do however run a free limo service to Union Square.

Overall a very nice hotel, and I would be more than happy to stay again.

1  Thank PointSur
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I love the Mark Hopkins! My boyfriend and I have stayed there several times and we always enjoy our stay. We have stayed at the Mark twice in December and we always get great rates because of the low season, usually for around $150. The concierge is super helpful with everything, from upgrading us, to making reservations for dinner, to holding a birthday cake in the hotel kitchen for us. The deluxe king rooms are absolutely huge and the beds are really comfortable. Also, sunday brunch at top of the mark cannot be beat!

Date of stay: December 2007
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Stayed one weekend in January with some friends. This property location can't be beaten - adjacent to two (yes, two) cable car lines and easily reached by all forms of transportation. We were upgraded upon our arrival and the staff here are 5 star all the way. I called to have towels sent to us and in less than one minute the doorbell rang - I've never seen such prompt service. The views and access to the Top of the Mark can't be beaten - I see why this place rates so highly. It is smaller than the Fairmont- almost a boutique hotel really, but full of history and charm. This isn't a state of the art place in terms of technology, but it reminds me of an age when hotels were truly grand places. My only gripe was that breakfast (while delicious) was incredibly overpriced. But the bathroom was superb, the bed and linens were excellent and I coudn't have asked for a better experience.

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Meerkat92101
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This is the third time I stayed at the Mark Hopkins - and while I was initially concerned about the 2nd floor room they assigned me, the view was actually pretty cool off of Nob Hill towards Market Street/the South. Room was large and super clean.

The only thing that irked me was the painfully slow wireless internet connection. It was inconsistent, and slow - especially for watching streaming video/music. This is San Fran - center of the tech world - there is no reason why the internet connection should be soooooo slooooow.

Service was fine and location is great - will stay again, but hopefully they will up the connection speed on their wireless routers...

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank SSHB
Reviewed December 28, 2008

So we took advantage of the travel deals currently occurring and chose to stay for a week in early December 2008.

The first thing I did was look out the window where I received my first minor disappointment – our “bay view” room was more like a “city view.” Yes you could see a corner of Alcatraz Island if standing near the window and looking down the street. But if just standing in the middle of the room looking out the window, it was a view of Grace Cathedral, not the bay. The good news is that’s a pretty good view, especially at night in December when the trees in the park all had lights and the interior lights shine out the windows of the cathedral.

The room (a standard room with a king bed) was quite luxurious. It was large, nicely decorated room retaining the historic trim with lush bedding, a walk-in closet, and a marble lined bathroom. Furnishings also included a Radio/CD player and a DVD player, and a mini-bar with room for your own stuff in the armoire that also held the TV. Your choice of newspaper (or newspapers) is/are delivered each morning. There were several items that detracted from the room in my opinion. First, the TV wasn’t a flat-panel TV. To me, you can’t be a “5-star” establishment these days if you haven’t upgraded the TV – they just aren’t that expensive anymore. Second was the internet charge (approximately $10/day). Internet charges just bug me when internet is included almost every “basic” hotel these days and certainly does not cost the hotel anywhere near $10/day to provide internet service to a room. Finally, there was a lack of drawer space – only 2 very small drawers and one medium drawer in the armoire holding the TV and mini-bar.

The public lounge area in the hotel is now very small – they have converted most of it into either a restaurant or the “Executive Club Lounge.” The lounge was nice it had a 42” plasma TV, games, books, newspapers, satellite radio, internet, complementary beverages, a pretty full breakfast (basically a deluxe cold buffet with smoked salmon, nice cheese, fruit, and breads), and other snacks during the day. Plus there is another concierge type person in the lounge to provide assistance. The problem of course is that the Club Lounge isn’t open to general guests – this color and charm will set you back $30 per person per day if you are staying in a “Standard Room” but is included with a “Executive Club Level Room”. We did use lounge extensively one cold and rainy day when we weren’t doing much sight seeing, but I’d be hard pressed to recommend paying for it either as part of the room cost or as a separate charge.

Service is where the Mark Hopkins shines. Every staff member we dealt with was incredibly and went out of their way to help us with what we needed. Especially when dealing with a couple of minor problems and of course getting us to the airport to fly home. In this respect – they achieved perfection.

Hint – the door on California Street marked “Top of the Mark” isn’t just for the restaurant. It will lead you to an elevator to the lobby and the rooms pretty quickly and save you part of the walk up the hill from the Powell Street cable cars.

Hint 2 – Your basic transportation up/down Nob Hill will be the cable cars. They cost $5 each trip. Therefore, you WILL want the muni-passport (1-day $11; 3-day $18; or 7-day $21). See info here: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm Or get the CityPass if you want to include museums too.

4  Thank IndiTravler