2,747 results
All reviewsnob hillmark restaurantcable cargrace cathedralhistoric hotelunion squarethe club loungetop floorcalifornia streetper dayan older hotelhotel guestsan upgradewater pressurethe golden gate bridgecorner roomvalet parking
Reviewed December 23, 2008

After many nights researching hotels for this trip I decided on the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins. We were so glad we ended up at the Mark Hopkins. Great location, beautiful hotel in Nob Hill.

ROOM

Booked the Excutive Level King - Room 1422. This room had a grea view of the Golden Gate Bridge/Bay, Grace Cathedral and California Cable Line. Ask for this room.

It is an older hotel like many in San Francisco but well-maintained and nicely decorated. We didn't find the room to be any smaller than a normal hotel we've stayed in during our travels.

CLUB LEVEL A MUST
Make sure you book a Club Level room. Its well worth the extra cost in snack and drinks alone. Its a very nice lounge that serves 5 mini-meals throughout the day starting at 6:30-10:30 I believe. Great for grabbing breakfast, snack or tea in the afternoon, lite appetizers and drinks in the evening. Especially nice if traveling from east coast and haven't adjusted to time difference. I went down and read a few mornings so not to disturb others.

Nancy at the Concierge Desk is very informative and can answer any questions you may have. She was my morning friend each day!

TOP OF THE MARK
The views are great! Dress up and go on up for a drink and dance!

If you book through the website or hotel directly, check back to see if rates drop. We booked and found a reduced rate a few days prior to leaving and hotel matched price. Also check if your company has corporate rates. I was able to get a great price and worth it to stay here.

WARNING: PRINT RESERVATIONS WITH RATES

Make sure you print out your reservation including rates. My only gripe is after calling and speaking directly to a reservationist my new rate was not reflected in the system. Had I not brought along my new confirmation I had been charged the higher price. Even after presenting email confirmation I was second guessed by Front Desk. Not at all how you want to start your trip after traveling several hours. Note to Front Desk staff you are the first impression to your guest. Only gripe about entire trip

I highly recommend getting the City Pass (Citypass.com) with the California and Powell Cable Cars running literally in front of the hotel it makes getting to any place in city a breeze. It includes unlimited cable cars ($5 one-way) and muni buses for $57 for a 7-day pass and includes admissions to attractions and museums.

If you got time also check out Mr. Toads Tours. Sounds corny and 100% touristy but who cares it was well worth the money!

Tadish's on California Street worth the wait.

If your there over a weekend a must is the Farmer's Market at the end of California Street - Take the Cable Car down the hill quick walk to water.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lizzay
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Beautiful hotel right in front of Fairmont hotel & church. Their "upgraded" room is located on powell street with cable car, so you have a nice view, but it's loud all day and it'll wake you up. The room on california street side was smaller, but had a huge bathroom, and quiet. Downstairs restaurant was excellent! It takes less than 5min to union sqaure & china town by foot but that's leaving from hotel. The hill going back to hotel is not fun at all. Take a taxi!! It coasts $5-6 plz remember this hotel is on top of the hill.!! go cross the street to fairmont, and get crossant& coffee in the morning. Tiny french restaurant one block from hotel was excellent (it's for locals) This hotel is definitely for adults who like quiet atmosphere.
You don't need airport shuttle. Take a train it coasts less than $6 and 30min to powell station, and take a taxi for less than $6 to this hotel. public bus is $1.50 and good for a couple of rides. Much cheaper & faster than cable car.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Booked a double view room for Nov. 11-16 and couldn't have been more pleased. Although the Golden Gate view is only available with King rooms, our view of the Transamerica Building and downtown was beautiful, especially at night. Location on Nob Hill is very central to everything and the cable cars are the most convenient public transport close to the hotel, although we used the hotel's town car and muni buses too. Room itself was not huge and bathroom was tight, but everything was spotless and all the expected amenities were there. This is a historic hotel and so it does show some age, but again everything seemed to be maintained well. Breakfast buffet in the Top of the Mark was good and the views are spectacular - not sure what all the other complaints are about. With any buffet arrangement for breakfast, it always pays to eat early. Service was exemplary throughout our stay, but we don't ask for much. Room had a button where you could request maid service and housekeeping seemed to always clean our room shortly after we activated the light. The local town car service is a big plus and when we came down early Sunday morning to hail a cab to the airport, the hotel offered their town car for $45 - roughly the same cost of a cab. This hotel is a San Francisco classic.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2008

The Mark Hopkins is a lovely hotel in the Nob Hill district. A deluxe room is only about 350 sq. feet, but was clean and comfortable. The staff at the front desk were not overly friendly.

If you book through the hotel's website, do like I did and check back often to see if rates come down the closer you get to your check in date. I called the hotel twice for rate reductions when they were offering the same room I booked with significant discounts each time.

A visit to the historic Top of the Mark is a must as the views of the city on a clear night are beautiful. One night when my date and I visited the bar at 12:30AM, we were turned away despite a posted closing time of 1:00AM. This was a little frustrating. We found out the next night they wanted to close early to get ready for the brunch crowd the next morning.

Overall, a stay at the Mark Hopkins will not disappoint.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MichelleZG
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I am told that the hotel was completed the day that Wall Street crashed and whether this is true or not the hotel has the confidence and appearance of the 20's. See the frescos in the conference rooms - one can almost hear the flappers.

The hotel is comfortable, the staff pleasant and the structure impressive. It is elegant, the ground floor flooded with light and sparkle. The rooms, and mine was mid-range, was comfortable, though it took me some time to find the light switches. The top-of-the-mark, is fun. Most nights there is entertainment, a piano, a singer and of course, impressive views in each and every direction over the city.

I have stayed in a number of hotels in San Francisco. This one will become my home. The Top-of-the-Mark, a haunt. I recommend this hotel and all who work there. The lifts I am told are slow buy hey it's a 1920s building and I, for one, would not wish it to be any different.

2  Thank jacks28