“Top of Nob Hill”

Ranked #65 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Top of Nob Hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Great view. Awesome beds. Quiet. Long hike up the hill if you're a walker. While some of the edges may be worn (it's been around for a long time) the ones that matter are not. An enjoyable hotel with the iconic Top of The Mark overlooking all of the Bay Area. This alone should be seen at least once if you're there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

BEWARE FEMALE TRAVELERS - THIS HOTEL WILL NOT PROTECT YOUR SAFETY!
Let me start by saying that I've NEVER written a bad review in all my years of traveling the world - including my job producing and directing for The Travel Channel & Discovery. The Intercontinental Mark Hopkins hotel in San Francisco left me stranded at the waterfront wharf at 11pm at night when I told them I was alone and afraid and needed their help. They refused to call me a cab stating it was against their policy. I called the hotel to get me a cab as I didn't have a cab number on hand - my safari on my iPhone wasn't working and I didn't have Uber (which I've since downloaded) so I called my hotel (which I had programmed in my cell) and the hotel refused to call me a cab saying it was against their policy! I told them I was alone at the wharf . The hotel said they couldn't call me a cab but they could give me a number. I said I didn't have a pen to write it down and that it was dark and desolate needed their help and they said, "that's our policy, sorry, call back if you want a cab number" and then hung up on me! I called them back to get number and beg at this point for them to help me by calling a cab for me - a female guest alone and somewhat upset at this point - they rattled off number which I forgot and when I called back - they rattled it off and hung up again. I called back to ask for number again and I remembered the number this time and called but it was a recording that did not work so I called the hotel back - maybe call number 6 at this point and asked for manager who also said it wasn't policy to call a cab for guests - that cabs don't respond to hotels calling for guests!? I finally got a cab by walking alone to Safeway store I saw about 6 blocks away in my heels and dress at 11:30pm and was so aghast that Intercontinental would treat a guest like this. It was so awful and INHOSPITABLE that I was shocked that any hotel would treat an 8 night guest that way! I'm a New Yorker and comfortable in any situation but this was crazy and I want to warn other female guests and have the Intercontinental change their policy. I asked the Fairmont hotel across the street the next day that if a guest called in for a cab from outside location and the concierge was of course they would!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank LUM1017
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear LUM1017,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Pls remember all you paid is for historical building only. The location is good for younger. Pls skip it if you don't want to walk up and down everyday, but i like it.

I experienced almost the same as some reviewers here. I'm a platinum membership and asked for an upgrade( I reserved deluxe room already). Receptionist gave an upgraded room at 10 floor which she said it has great view. Okay, it's a corner side with tiny bathroom. very small room even we only two adults and one child. Then i hope change the room as i'm really not comfortable with the room located in the end of a aisle. Another receptionist agreed my request friendly. He said NO when i asked if any air condition equipment around the room window. But,, unfortunately,, it does when i walked into a room at 9th floor.

Free WIFI probably is the only benefit for membership i guess($11.95 charge daily). I'm a little confused that ambassador level is the starting level of the membership? dissapointed.

Housekeeping is nice(cleaning) but no one answer you if you dial housekeeping hotline unless you call instant service(he will transfer for you).

Coffee machine is a plus. K-cup.

Pls let your ears and heart be ready for the toilet plush.

I'll try other intercontinental hotels because i have perfect memories on the brand but not this one anymore.

Room Tip: pay $200 extra for ambassador membership
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
David V, Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as we would have liked. Please contact me at ICMarkHopkins@IHG.com as I would like to gather additional information regarding your stay. Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,
David Valencia
Assistant Manager – Front Office
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel, we are Ambassador members and this was our first visit to San Francisco and this hotel we give the highest recommendation. From the beautiful club level rooms, extremely comfortable bed, to the excellent service provided, nothing was too much trouble, staff on the club level exceeded our expectations.. Every need was met and exceeded, the canapés offered in the early evening were fabulous and as we stayed at the hotel for 9 nights there was always something different to try. We attended the new year dinner at the Top of The Mark and will long remember it as being a very special evening (only comment very expensive) but a once in a life time experience. The reviews we had read prior to arriving had us concerned however this hotel made our holiday!

Room Tip: Stay in a club level room and join the Ambassadors club it is really worth the membership fee! Reque...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed at the Mark Hopkins for our first visit to SF. The lobby was nice and spacious and the staff were friendly and helpful. The lifts were a little small so bit of a squeeze getting in with luggage. We had a room with two double beds and had chosen Club Level. Was a little disappointed that the Club Level facilities were on the ground floor though and would only allow access for two adults and not our children. The cost per child in addition was very high and not at all worth it. Our room had a nice view out over the city and although at the top of the hill, we could still walk to and from the shops (the trams were so incredibly busy it wasn't worth the waiting time for them). Would stay again but probably not pay extra for Club as it shuts early and the choices for food were limited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

just checked in to the Mark Hopkins and as a platinum member of Priority I was amazed not to be given club access....said they are "busy" I can not believe that this hotel does not seem to honor repeat guests to their brand....
Hotel has great rooms and bathrooms

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hamptonroads
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Historical milestone in San Francisco, nice loby, super staff and great rooms with nice views. Club InterContinental is very nice and staff is friendly. Top of the mark has nice views but is limited in food options, thats a shame. Gym needs and update.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo