“Stay across the street at the Fairmont Hotel”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Architechturally the hotel is beautiful but the staff does not live up to professional standards. I have stayed in Intercontinental Hotels across the world and after my personal experience at this hotel I would never recommend it to anyone nor will I ever stay at another Intercontinental property. I recommend the Fairmont across the street.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed July 21, 2008

We spent our anniversary weekend at the Mark Hopkins. Never having stayed there, but having heard about it my whole life, my expectations were dangerously high. I am pleased to report that the hotel met or exceeded my expectations in every way. The location is very convenient--at the intersection of all three cable car lines--but atop serene and civilized Nob Hill. (Do get a transit pass, by the way--at $5.00 a ride the cable car fares really add up fast). The hotel is old but perfectly maintained, and has all the charm and character you could hope for. Our room, a corner on the 11th floor, was outfitted with all the luxuries you would expect, and more (like an umbrella, clever two-way shades in the bathroom so you could see out but no one could see in, and the newpaper (NY Times, no less) delivered in a cloth bag on your doorknob.) The bed was top-notch, and the bathroom was luxurious and spacious. A small but thoughtful touch: your room key holder has a handy folding city map attached. The Top of the Mark bar is justifiably world famous, and as a hotel guest the cover charge is waived.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Live2Travel95616
Reviewed July 11, 2008

The ICMH is a great city hotel offering the ombiance of old Nob HIll. The location was handy, the hotel staff more than helpful and the breakfast at the Top of the Mark inviting. We spent three days as we visited the City by the Bay and found the hotel perfect in every way.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This hotel is rather beautiful, a prime example of one of the old classic fancy historical hotels. It's been renovated and the rooms, beds, bathrooms, etc are all updated nicely. The staff are very friendly and nice, helpful whenever you ask. And, the decor is beautiful in the lobby and all around. I'm not sure why folks have complained about this hotel. The only bad thing was that the room I was in, had a locked, but adjoining room, and on the 2nd and 3rd nights, my neighbor was rather noisy. So, the walls are not the thickest, but that is not the fault of anyone in particular, and frankly this situation of noisy neighbors and thin walls often happens to me at many nice hotels. I think I'm just a light sleeper.

In terms of shopping, dining and sightseeing, no it's not right next to anything. The cable car ($5 per ride, no transfers) is right outside the door and cabs are readily available. Chinatown is minutes away down hill. Fillmore St is nearby down the hill on the other side. The Ferry Market Building is at the bottom of the hill (from Chinatown), and on a clear day you can see a great view of the city from the Top of the Mark, which is free to look around in.

I enjoyed my stay and recommend this hotel, especially if you have a conference there, as I did!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at this hotel June 18-22 for a conference and I have to say it was very well organized, clean and the staff were helpful and nice and the check in and check out were both very efficient.

I would stay here again, it is walking distance to Union Square, on the main road for the trolley and close to china town and you can easily get around.

One thing I really liked is that on the card holder for your room key, there's a little map with common directions and a little map on the other site to help you locate the main places to visit and I used it quite often.

It's a very popular hotel for weddings, conferences and just tourists in general and seemed very well managed.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I live in the bay area but had to be in SF early in the morning so I decided to get a room using Priceline. I had never been to the Mark Hopkins, but I have high expectations for the Intercontinental brand. Sadly, this hotel doesn't live up to those expectations. I unfortunately was given a smoking room (and Priceline was less than accommodating, but that's another story). The room itself had a fantastic view of downtown, but it was quite worn - there were scoff marks on the wall, it could have really used a paint job, and the cleaning was really bad - there were some almonds on the floor and a loooong hair on one of the towels (for whatever reason, finding other people's hair always creeps me out).

Overall, the furnishings were adequate, but not up to par for this class of hotel.

As for location, while this area is well-served by transit, it is not exactly a "union square" area or "downtown" hotel - Nob Hill is a significant trek from Market.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank sameoldg2
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Stayed at the Mark Hopkins on Mother's Day weekend. The room was clean, comfortable and welcoming. Although we did not partake of the special Mother's Day Brunch, we did have a beautiful breakfast buffet in the lobby dining room. One other day the same type of breakfast buffet was served at the Top of the Mark and the view just made the whole thing better! We did call room service twice and the service was very good. I thought the staff was friendly and, quite honestly, that was my one worry beforehand because 6-7 years ago, the front desk staff was pretty darn snooty. But not anymore. We were very pleased and felt welcome. We had no problems getting around...cable cars stop right at the corner...
and all-in-all we just had a nice, relaxing time. We would definitely stay at the Mark Hopkins again. It's a beautiful hotel in our favorite American city....what else could we ask for?

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family