“nice hotel at the top of a big hill”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“nice hotel at the top of a big hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

This hotel is rather beautiful, a prime example of one of the old classic fancy historical hotels. It's been renovated and the rooms, beds, bathrooms, etc are all updated nicely. The staff are very friendly and nice, helpful whenever you ask. And, the decor is beautiful in the lobby and all around. I'm not sure why folks have complained about this hotel. The only bad thing was that the room I was in, had a locked, but adjoining room, and on the 2nd and 3rd nights, my neighbor was rather noisy. So, the walls are not the thickest, but that is not the fault of anyone in particular, and frankly this situation of noisy neighbors and thin walls often happens to me at many nice hotels. I think I'm just a light sleeper.

In terms of shopping, dining and sightseeing, no it's not right next to anything. The cable car ($5 per ride, no transfers) is right outside the door and cabs are readily available. Chinatown is minutes away down hill. Fillmore St is nearby down the hill on the other side. The Ferry Market Building is at the bottom of the hill (from Chinatown), and on a clear day you can see a great view of the city from the Top of the Mark, which is free to look around in.

I enjoyed my stay and recommend this hotel, especially if you have a conference there, as I did!

• Liked — the historical and architectural beauty of the hotel
  • Disliked — the adjoining room with noisy neighbors and thin walls
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at this hotel June 18-22 for a conference and I have to say it was very well organized, clean and the staff were helpful and nice and the check in and check out were both very efficient.

I would stay here again, it is walking distance to Union Square, on the main road for the trolley and close to china town and you can easily get around.

One thing I really liked is that on the card holder for your room key, there's a little map with common directions and a little map on the other site to help you locate the main places to visit and I used it quite often.

It's a very popular hotel for weddings, conferences and just tourists in general and seemed very well managed.

Stayed June 2008
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

I live in the bay area but had to be in SF early in the morning so I decided to get a room using Priceline. I had never been to the Mark Hopkins, but I have high expectations for the Intercontinental brand. Sadly, this hotel doesn't live up to those expectations. I unfortunately was given a smoking room (and Priceline was less than accommodating, but that's another story). The room itself had a fantastic view of downtown, but it was quite worn - there were scoff marks on the wall, it could have really used a paint job, and the cleaning was really bad - there were some almonds on the floor and a loooong hair on one of the towels (for whatever reason, finding other people's hair always creeps me out).

Overall, the furnishings were adequate, but not up to par for this class of hotel.

As for location, while this area is well-served by transit, it is not exactly a "union square" area or "downtown" hotel - Nob Hill is a significant trek from Market.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank sameoldg2
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

Stayed at the Mark Hopkins on Mother's Day weekend. The room was clean, comfortable and welcoming. Although we did not partake of the special Mother's Day Brunch, we did have a beautiful breakfast buffet in the lobby dining room. One other day the same type of breakfast buffet was served at the Top of the Mark and the view just made the whole thing better! We did call room service twice and the service was very good. I thought the staff was friendly and, quite honestly, that was my one worry beforehand because 6-7 years ago, the front desk staff was pretty darn snooty. But not anymore. We were very pleased and felt welcome. We had no problems getting around...cable cars stop right at the corner...
and all-in-all we just had a nice, relaxing time. We would definitely stay at the Mark Hopkins again. It's a beautiful hotel in our favorite American city....what else could we ask for?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Traveller325
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

We are fortunate enough to be close to SF to come up for the night, this night being in celebration of my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We wanted to do something special and stay somewhere they would NEVER stay themselves. I picked the Mark Hopkins for the history, location and also The Top of the Mark bar/restaurant.

Our check in was flawless, had rooms next to each other on the 11th floor, facing Grace Cathedral (was supposed to be bay view) but didn't want to complain w/the in-laws along. We wanted an effortless experience. Rooms had great big beds, way comfy! Great mini-bar which of course hubby had to have the probably $8 Corona..whatever. Ordered champagne and strawberries in room to celebrate, then up to the Top of the Mark for a drink before dinner. Beautiful view...wow! Even with a little fog on the fringes, gorgeous! The only downside was that they seem to have no dress code up there. I guess I thought it was a classy place and dressed accordingly. We sat next to a girl wearing what I think was a handkerchief, really...you could see way too much...I'm not a prude, really. Just couldn't believe someone would dress like that in SF..

Anyways, after dinner (which was not at the hotel but the Jardiniere), back up to the Top of the Mark for a nightcap. No cover charge if you show them your room key!

Great jazz band, hubby and I danced (even w/his broken toe). They sat us at a great corner bench and table. The view would have been amazing but the fog came in hard and fast. So what...still gorgeous view.

All in all I would recommend this hotel. Everyone and everything was above board and I felt like I DID get my moneys worth. Inlaws were impressed so our weekend was a success!

I booked directly with the hotel and got a pretty good rate.

I definitely left my heart in SF...about 25 years ago! Keep coming back. Have traveled all over the world and this is one of my favorite places! Make sure you walk down California to Grant and see Chinatown. Fun!

• Liked — The beds are comfy, great location on Nob Hill
  • Disliked — Leaving...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BabsSC
Red Bluff, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

You don't get what you pay for. This is a very very expnsive hotel for the ammenities you get.

I spent $13.00 for a one page facsimile in their business center!

I spent $50 bucks a night to park my car in the hotel.

I spent $24 bucks for a drink in their bar.

If money is not an object, it's a beautiful hotel. It's conveniently located. Service is not bad but not 4 star that's for sure. The rooms are not bad but a bit on the small side. The food is decent. Their brunch is good and of course...very expensive.

There are better places for the money that I will stay at next time unless there is some special pricing going on here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost for services received
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kuuner
Santa Cruz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

Others had mentioned that the Mark Hopkins treats their Priceline customers as "not their customers", and gives them smoking rooms at street level only. This was not our experience at all. I had seen the reviews, and went in armed with the knowledge that though I did purchase the reservation from Priceline, I am still their customer. The hotel choses to offer their rooms on Priceline, so saying that Priceline customers are not their customers is completely false. I was ready for a fight... my husband has a respiratory condition, and staying in a smoking room would have made both of us VERY miserable. I walked up to the front desk, and the nice gentleman greeted me. I said I was checking in... he pulled my info up, and asked right away if I wanted a smoking or non-smoking room, king or two queens room. Then he offered to put us in a corner room with a view... AND then he offered to put us in a suite if we didn't mind a smoking room. I said No Thank You to that, but took the corner room on the third floor. We had an amazing view downhill towards Union Square. He never mentioned once that we were only Priceline customers... it was all handled very professionally, like I was a high roller in there. I was very surprised, and pleased.

And, you ABSOLUTELY MUST have brunch or cocktails at The Top of the Mark... there is not a better view of the entire city than from up there. I do hope Priceline gives us this hotel again!!!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LynetteR