This hotel is rather beautiful, a prime example of one of the old classic fancy historical hotels. It's been renovated and the rooms, beds, bathrooms, etc are all updated nicely. The staff are very friendly and nice, helpful whenever you ask. And, the decor is beautiful in the lobby and all around. I'm not sure why folks have complained about this hotel. The only bad thing was that the room I was in, had a locked, but adjoining room, and on the 2nd and 3rd nights, my neighbor was rather noisy. So, the walls are not the thickest, but that is not the fault of anyone in particular, and frankly this situation of noisy neighbors and thin walls often happens to me at many nice hotels. I think I'm just a light sleeper.
In terms of shopping, dining and sightseeing, no it's not right next to anything. The cable car ($5 per ride, no transfers) is right outside the door and cabs are readily available. Chinatown is minutes away down hill. Fillmore St is nearby down the hill on the other side. The Ferry Market Building is at the bottom of the hill (from Chinatown), and on a clear day you can see a great view of the city from the Top of the Mark, which is free to look around in.
I enjoyed my stay and recommend this hotel, especially if you have a conference there, as I did!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HISTORIC GRANDEUR ON THE CREST OF NOB HILL As splendid now as when it opened to great fanfare in 1926, InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco is one of the city’s finest hotels. Located at the crossing of three cable car lines, the venerable landmark is minutes from Union Square, Chinatown, and the Financial District. Fisherman’s Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge are short drives away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- Intercontinental San Francisco
- San Francisco Intercontinental