Stayed for 4 days at the Mark Hopkins San Fran with my nearly 80 year old mother and 5 year old daughter. The hotel is in a prime location for sightseeing - you are literally steps away from 2 cable car lines. We found the Powell lines to be very busy and several had to pass before we could get on and even then our seats didn't really allow us to enjoy the ride. The California cable car line is much less busy and lets you properly take in some sights even if you're not really heading to any of the key tourist spots.
Service was great especially with the valets and doormen - these guys were very much willing to share about good spots to go to and the easiest way to get there. Sal in particular was very welcoming and outgoing. There's also a cool parkette nearly directly in front of the hotel which was very welcome by my daughter but its also a dog park.
A couple of watch outs:
- A plus or drawback depending on your situation but you are located on top of the hill. As a result its very windy and quite a trek to walk the neighbourhood. Some cool shops/bakeries nearby but depending on who you're travelling with, not the easiest climb to get back up the hotel
- it is an older hotel - clean and manageable but not for someone who's staying for the ambience
- parking was a surprise, the guys are helpful in pointing at cheaper public spots but its $$$ at the hotel
- no Wifi, not even in lobby. They do have a desktop there for guest use
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HISTORIC GRANDEUR ON THE CREST OF NOB HILL As splendid now as when it opened to great fanfare in 1926, InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco is one of the city’s finest hotels. Located at the crossing of three cable car lines, the venerable landmark is minutes from Union Square, Chinatown, and the Financial District. Fisherman’s Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge are short drives away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, IHG, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- Intercontinental San Francisco
- San Francisco Intercontinental