“Another nice hotel in SF”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I recently enjoyed a family trip to the bay and booked the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins. It has all the classic elegance of a luxury hotel but showed some wear and tear. The rooms were typical for the city but may be slightly smaller than The Omni and Hotel Palomar. Otherwise, the beds were extremely soft with feather top mattresses and service was excellent. Room service was especially prompt and included some nice touches.

We traveled with a small child and while this hotel is centrally located to union square, it's exact locale, at the top of nob hill made it a more difficult walk when returning to the room. There is a nice park within a block of the hotel, as well as the trolley. Parking is also rather pricey, even for this type of hotel at $57 per day.

The top of the Mark is a great place for a drink and spectacular views of the city, so I've made stops here even when not staying at this hotel. If you're interested in staying at a newer and more modern hotel, the other intercontinental hotel in the city would probably be a better choice. All in all it was a good stay but depending on your preferences there are plenty of other choices in the city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit dated, but very clean. Bed comfy! Quiet Rooms.
It is on a VERY BIG HILL, so plan on getting a workout. I would stay there again. The restaurant has a great view. The service really sucks to put it nicely. For the money, you can find better food and people who want your business. Most important for my stay, NO BED BUGS.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have to admit I had extremely high expectations and that colored my visit. I found a deal for the hotel and thought I would treat myself to a 5 star experience on a recent trip to San Francisco. The hotel lobby and location are beautiful. The staff are everything one would expect, friendly and efficient. The room was were the experience didn't live up to what I hoped. It was smaller than most European rooms and only average in decor. The view was nice but consisted mostly of other rooftops in the city. The walk up and down the hill would be impossible for anyone not in pretty good shape, so expect to take taxis even though it is centrally located.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank stainedglasslass
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear stainedglasslass,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. In addition, I am happy that you liked our location. However, I am sorry you did not find the room to your liking. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed on the club level and made good use of the club on the ground floor. Every person in the hotel has a wonderful attitude and smile. David, in the lounge, was so helpful and patient. The hotel may be older, but the windows still open and the age adds to the grace and beauty of the place. It is extremely clean and we were well pampered. I wouldn't stay anywhere else - and not just because the location is perfect. We were remembered by name by everyone from the valets to the doormen, to the desk clerks and the perfect club lounge personnel - including personal details. It was heaven. The food and beverage in the club were excellent and very worth the extra. Don't miss going to the Top of the Mark, even if just for dessert and cocktails. Gorgeous view of the city at sunset.

Room Tip: Stay on the club level - it is worth the difference in price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was booked to capacity, so not only did we not get upgraded, I'm pretty sure we got downgraded! We were offered a "suite" that was anything but sweet. All of the furniture was crammed into 2/3 of the room, and the rest of the room was conspicuously empty. Weird! Everything looked tired, though the bed was comfortable. Definitely didn't feel like a first-class hotel! We've enjoyed staying here in the past, but I doubt we'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RealCABlonde
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Regina E,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to know that you found the bed comfortable. Whilst, please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you have experienced during your stay. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed and actions will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Again, we appreciate your feedback and your business.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this property from Saturday night - Friday morning. It was nice over the weekend and the early part of the week. Early in the week, a tour arrived and everything came screeching to a halt. Sometimes several packed elevators would go by before there was space to get on one.

The most ironic thing of this inconvenience was that the room rate went up +- 30% those days.

As far a hotels go, it was just another one.

Room Tip: Don't go when they are busy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cliff R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Cliff R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

I trust that the above issue will not deter you from choosing us as your hotel in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We arrived in the early evening after driving straight-through from Eugene, OR. From the time we stopped the car to the point that we left for the airport, our experience at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins was amazing.
I could talk about the room that looked out over the cathedral or the valets and bell-hops who always had a smile and friendly hello for us but really it's hard to narrow it down to just one little thing when the entire experience was so great. Probably my fondest memory (besides sleeping next to my wife in a ridiculously comfortable bed after a week of college shared housing-type accommodations) was the conversation with one of the bell-hops on the causes and consequences of the Arab Spring. You're not going to get that just anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple