InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #60 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I loved the location, the service, the room, view, etc. Cable cars are very close and Chinatown is at walking distance.
The view from the bar at the top is amazing. The bathrooms are beautiful.
The only complaint was the costly parking.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 7, 2012

After reading many of the reviews, I decided to stay here for 4 nights with my wife. We stayed in a deluxe king room on the 11th floor. Nice views, no street noise, AC worked, TV was great, etc.

I saw that some people complained about the AC not working or the water pressure being low, but I don't believe this to be the case. In addition, I believe the price to be reasonable (~$220/night). The location is excellent (top of nob hill), and is a hearty uphill walk from Union Square.

My room was cleaned every day, and the bathroom had nice tile work to it.

Definitely get a drink in the afternoon or breakfast on top of the mark! Certainly worth it for the views.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Made a very last minute booking with this hotel and was not disappointed. A great location, good sized, clean room with a lovely view. Very comfy bed, nice bed linen and plenty of complimentary toiletries, robe, slippers, coffee-making etc. Had drinks in Top of the Mark which, although a bit pricey, added a nice treat to our time away and the view was amazing. Great fun listening to the live music up there too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2012

When we were planning a weekend in San Francisco we wanted a hotel that was within walking distance to shopping and restaurants and my husband had always wanted to stay at the Mark Hopkins. We got a premium king room which was quite spacious with one of the best bathrooms I have ever gotten in the city. Everything was perfect except for my husband's instance to have a rental car in the city, quite pricey.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed at the Mark Hopkin recently, fantastic hotel in a stunning location. It's a short walk down hill
to all the local sights and amenities and a tram ride back up.!
San Francisco is such a wonderful, vibrant city with everything you need to visit only a block or two away.

Room Tip: Try to book a room looking down the hill towards Alcatraz.................stunning !
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Outstanding service -classic hotel-prime location..It.s hard to imagine that there could be a better hotel in which to celebrate my wife's special birthday.From check in to check out the staff exibited a quiet professionalism that lets you know that anything you require is there for you. The hotel is a vintage beauty.The Top Of The Mark is busy with locals and hotel guests but worth it for the view and the choice of 100 martinis.The location can't be beat. Cable cars to Union Square or Fishermans Wharf or China Town orThe Ferry Building are outside your door.
Ask conceirge Helena about restaurants in the neighborhood.She reserved us in three -2 Italian -1 French -all of which were some of the best we had in SF.

Room Tip: Opted for club level king A bit pricey but I would do it again..Higher view floor,breakfast,cocktail...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location but very tired hotel rooms and extremely dusty . Iwas trying to work out why my daughter and I could not stop sneezing and decided to have a good look around. On the inside of the cupboard doors was thick , crusty layers of dirt and dust that would flick of with a bit of a push. Absolutely disgusting and explained why I was waking up with severe asthma each morning. I mentioned this to the lady behind the desk and she looked momentarily concerned but nothing was done to clean the room properly.
The other thing was that the cooling did not seem to work at all, and every night (we stayed in Sept), I would wake up and have to apply a cold face washer to myself and my daughter. Again, this was mentioned to recection, lip service was given and nothing was done. Perhaps because the hotel is quite old the money has just not been spent upgrading the cooling system.
The hotel itself is in a great location but was not very child friendly. They don't really have a restaurant to speak of - just ' The Top of the Mark' which is more for nibbles and cocktailsand enjoying the fabulous view. At the end of the day, with two young and tired children, we ended up having to order off the room service menu,which, whilst quite extensive, meant having to eat dinner in the very small, dark and dusty room. Housekeeping was so understaffed that the dinner dishes would still be lurking ominously outside the room at 9am the next morning.

The positives - view friom the room, nice historical lobby and central location were not really enough to outweigh the grimy ,small and dust caked rooms that had us all waking up hot, itchy and sneezy throughout the night. My advice if you are al all dust allergic would be - don't go!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mirandaferrie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Mirandaferrie,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our great location and enjoyed the view from your room. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and discomfort you have experienced due to the overall cleanliness of the room and hotel staff services you received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We will use the valuable feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Zelyn N