“California Salads for Lunch”
Review of Urban Tavern

Urban Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Urban Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #593 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Mason St.
Transit: Muni: 38 Geary
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped in here for lunch after looking for a lunch place around Union Square with a place to sit and air conditioning. We sat upfront at a high table in the bar area. The server was very friendly. We both ordered a salad. I went with the Cobb salad which they withheld the olives at my request. I wasn't a fan of the merlot vinaigrette so was happy to have ordered that on the side. Also, I didn't understand why egg in a Cobb salad in this case poached vs. Hard-boiled would be an additional $3. Meanwhile my wife ordered the Tavern salad which included Feta cheese, grapefruit, and Toasted pumpkin seeds that she really enjoyed.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The food is quite good here. I had the Tavern Salad and French Onion Soup. But the manager and server were rude and impatient and the food was very expensive. Not worth it!

1  Thank Critzyj
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I chose to eat dinner here simply based on convenience/proximity to the Hilton. We almost left after looking at the menu - very few choices, and very pricey, even for the area. We decided to stay since we didn't have much time to find somewhere else before we had to head back to the airport. I chose the meatloaf sliders (which were really good) and my wife had the oysters (which were decent as well). Unfortunately, the portion size was way too small, especially for how expensive it all was. This is probably a better place for happy hour than a sit-down meal. Wouldn't recommend for dinner or if you want more than a handful of choices on the menu.

1  Thank 966JoshuaT
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hilton hotel. Tried to order from urban tavern and have it sent to the room. Then tried to order to-go and just pick it up. Denied both times. Required to go in and order at the bar.
I will say that the drinks were pretty good and so was the service once we were inside the restaurant

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Risotto and French onion soup were very tasty. Small portions though. Small plate tacos were also tiny, even after upgrading from 2 to 3. Tiramisu was nicely presented, but the molasses chunks made it odd. Disappointed with wine list. It was more expensive than it needed to be. The cheapest bottle of red doesn't have to be $48 in a place like this. (I think there was a rose for $40.) On the plus side, service was attentive. If you do go, waiter told us they validate parking for 5 hours, so good for theater.