“Fantastic Low Frills Hotel for those on the budget in the heart of Union Sqaure/Downtown San Fran”

Touchstone Hotel - City Center
Ranked #141 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This hotel was everything I expected and I was totally pleased with my stay here. We paid $52 U.S a night (not inc tax). Very cheap for the heart of SF. Yes the rooms were small, however I did not travel all the way to San Fran to be in my room the whole time. We had two large suitcases and managed fine! The facilities in the room were up to scratch, it was clean and tidy. But yes again, the sink was in a compact corner, and the bathroom was quite small. However this did no affect us at all. We were very very happy with the location, you are in the heart of Union Square, and the St.Francis Westin a large 5 star hotel is literally across the road!! The telephone in the room was unavailable and was being serviced however the man at the front desk gave me a $5 phonecard and let me use the cordless phone downstairs whenever I liked which was super nice of him. If I was to have any complaints, it would be that the bed was a little too hard for my liking, and the street noise. Yes there is street noise, and yes you can hear it, so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room off Geary Street. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and would stay here again, as it is an ideal spot for anyone on a budget looking for a clean and cosy room in downtown SF.

1 Thank tboandspit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Stayed at Touchstone with my girlfriend during a visit to one of my high school friends. The location was perfect for us, so convenience was a factor.
Rooms weren't GRAND, but was clean, simple, and comfortable.
Service is basic, but very personal.

Chicago
Reviewed March 17, 2010

It wasn't my first time in San Francisco and my previous experiences were VERY pricey. This time I was on a tight budget and The Touchstone was just what I needed with the great location (seriously just steps away from Union Square and all major transportation), clean sheets and the lovely staff. Don't expect any luxury though. It is a small budget hotel which will help you balance your travel expenses.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We visited this place with my girlfriend. I was scared of the bad reviews, but I guess it is a matter of perception and expectation. That is why I am writing this review, so people with our expectations can stay in this super expensive city for a reasonable price. We expected nothing but a clean room, good prices and a good location. Well, it had all (and nothing more :)

I did not like the fact that there was a construction in the hotel, but well, a small price to pay for that location/price. And the nice manager offered us free breakfast ! Awesome bagels!

1 Thank Tribaloctopus
Tehran
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I had booked this hotel for two nights, believe me I checked out 1 hour after I checked in ! don't you think about staying here if you are a single person(female), the front office closes at 21:00 at god knows what's gonna happen after that,...the rooms are sooooo small and filthy! the restroom as small as in planes...terrible terrible, you will find great deals at hotel warwick which is adjacent to this dirty place. I defn. should have taken pictures from the rooms! made a mistake...

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
touchstone480, manager at Touchstone Hotel - City Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am sad to hear that our hotel did not meet your standards. I'm certain that you had a great stay at the Warwick Hotel, which is a part of Warwick International Hotels and Resorts.
The Touchstone Hotel is a family-owned budget-friendly property with very simple amenities and advertises itself as such. We do take pride in our location, being just one block from Union Square, surrounded by the much larger, more luxurious and high priced competitors. Yes, some of our rooms are on the smaller side, that is why we describe them as "petite", "small" or "economy". Our space is comfortable and definitely SUITED for the budget traveler who wants a decent place to sleep while being centrally located in San Francisco.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I stayed at the Touchstone on two business trips, each lasting approximately
10 days, in November and December 2009.
My stays at the hotel were very comfortable and I have nothing less than
positive to say about them. I stayed in two different rooms, and each room
was newly renovated, very tastefully decorated, clean, with fast and
reliable in-room internet connection. I looked forward to returning to my
cozy room in the evening after work.
The hotel staff was very nice and attentive, providing any extra amenities
one might (refrigerator, heater, water boiler). After returning home, I
discovered that I had left my new IPOD in the room.
They found it under the desk and sent it back to me.
The first room I stayed in was a Queen, which was standard size. The second
time I stayed in a Double, which was smaller. Both rooms were facing the
back, and thus very quiet. I recommended the hotel to three of my
colleagues, which ended up staying there as well and liking it.
And yes, the location couldn’t be better for someone who needs to get around
the city quickly, as was the case for me…2 minute walk to the BART and Union
Square, nice, safe neighborhood etc.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JulieT70
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Nice staffs, very kind and helpful. Great location. The room is clean and adequate facilities. Probably not ideal for special occasions or business trip, but highly recommend for a casual leisure trip.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple