“Nice and warm”

Touchstone Hotel - City Center
Ranked #142 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“Nice and warm”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I had spent just 2 days in SF but It was a nice stay at Touchstone, service mind staff gave me a lot of information about city tour. Clean and comfy bed. Also this is a good location to walk to Union Square!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The rooms were quite small and basic. We stayed as a group after finishing a G adventures tour through from Vegas. In comparison to camping it was very comfortable but it was booked by the tour company so we didn't get a say over where we stayed and also means I'm not sure exactly what we paid to stay here as the cost was included in the price of the overall tour. Granted that it is Memorial Day here this weekend so guessing they may have hiked the prices because they can, however saw a sign at reception stating the rooms were available for between $120-$189 a night plus tax. Was shocked to see this as I would not have rated any of the rooms tone worth more than $50 a night at a push.

Staying here also got you a 25% discount at the cafe/restaurant next door which did a really good breakfast which was a good deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 22, 2013

A good place to drop your bags when you run around SF. A few blocks from Powell Bart station (uphill and lots of pedestrians so best if you have a smallish suitcase...I don't know if I would want to do this with a 26 incher). Room was CLEAN, small, spartan (think European style). Staff friendly and efficient. No coffee in the room and the attached cafe doesn't open until 7:30. Too late for this addict but Starbucks is a few doors down. Bed was foam which gets too hot for this traveler. I don't know how the hotel would be in summer. The location is superb.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was my last stop on my first solo overseas trip. The room was small but extremely clean (so I was fine with it), the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The hotel is locked for the night and can only be accessed via guest key, which I appreciated and I felt very safe. The concierge also booked my airport shuttle for me for just $15. My only small complaint was that it was a bit noisy as my room looked over the street and it was a Saturday night, but otherwise I had a great time here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just came back from three nights at this hotel. I found it at a low price in the center of SF and after reading some reviews, decided why not. I'm glad I did. You couldn't beat the location. About a block from Union Square, about 3 blocks from BART/MUNI, about 2 blocks from Powell cable cars, buses and taxis outside your door, Maybe 15 minute walk to the Embarcadero.
No A/C, so be careful when it's hot. The windows open which makes it pretty nice when it's cool out or at night. You won't be there much during the day anyway.
It is noisy, not the hotel but the surroundings. SF sirens seem infinitely louder than what I'm used to. And everyone feels compelled to honk their horn. It is quite annoying. But I'm a fairly heavy sleeper and I use my iPod to get me to sleep so no real troubles there. But if you are a very light sleeper, use caution. No hotel is perfect for everybody so I'll just offer what I experienced and you judge.
Elevator is crazy small, but I rarely met anyone else on it so it's not a problem. It's slow but gets you up fast enough. Coming down I always took the stairs except for the final day with my luggage. The stairs are steep, so don't trip down them.
The hotel has internet, wifi and two computers on the 2nd floor area. No problems there.
I stayed on the fifth floor on the back side. Total of seven floors.
Everyone working at the hotel was super nice. Checkin was easy, check out also. Everyone was very helpful, especially with the door which kept sticking that weekend.
The housekeeping was very nice, always replacing anything that was used.
The room was small but not overly small. I'd say comfortable for one person or a couple. Beyond that (i.e. 2 strangers, friends) it might seem too close for comfort. Get two rooms. The flat panel tv didn't have movie channels or the major news stations (CNN, MSNBC), it was mainly local including in Spanish. Not a huge deal either since I mainly had tv on in morning with local news and in evening with network tv.
The shower curtain for my particular room was too small, it never covered the entire shower, so if you moved the curtain back and pointed the shower head down in front, you could get one part of the floor wet, likewise if you pulled the curtain forward but pointed the shower head back, you could get another part of the floor wet. Otherwise the room was more than fine. I'd stay there again.
They give you bottled water to start and they had cookies downstairs too. And the room was clean. It looks dated but that added charm to the building. Don't let it fool you. If you don't mind walking three blocks and can read a map, it's easy to get to from SFO via BART. Don't need a taxi.
I didn't try the restaurant downstairs. There were plenty of good places nearby if you walked a block or two. Pinecrest Diner was a great breakfast place.
The bus to the golden gate bridge runs down the street about a block or two behind the hotel.

Honestly, I think based on other reviews and from what I saw close by at some other budget hotels and hostels, this is the best hotel you can get in the middle of San Francisco for the money if you're traveling alone and are concerned with cost. Otherwise, if you're willing to spend more, knock yourself out.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor on the back side of the building if you're overly sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank darylwi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The room was small but clean (which is far more important to me than having a big room, especially considering I wanted to spend most of my time out exploring). The bed was comfy and I was able to sleep well each night even though my room was facing the street.
Touchstone Hotel is in a great location near Union Square and is cheaper than a lot of the other hotels I found. Definitely glad I chose to stay here and have more money to spend out enjoying San Francisco! Oh and the staff were very helpful too!

Room Tip: I liked my room facing the street on level 5
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jen_lc_10
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed April 16, 2013

San Francisco is a very expensive city most of the year, and that's the only reason why someone would stay at this hotel. Rooms are outdated and relatively small. Service was good, and the location is very good, a few minutes away from Union Square.

If you can pay a little more, stay somewhere else. If not, it's a decent place to stay while exploring the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo