“Just not that thrilled”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #25 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed in 6 different hotels during our summer vacation this year and sadly, this one was our least favorite. Perhaps my expectations were too high as I had read the reviews here and booked the room based on the high ranking that had been given. Now I'm just confused because so much of it didn't add up. I did not have a problem with the small room -that much I expected. However the shower was so small that my husband barely fit in it and the tile grout had blackened sections, suggesting a mildew issue that they apparently could not remedy. I personally had an issue with the placement of the faucet in the sink. In our room the faucet was positioned such that it was impossible to wash your hands without fully rubbing your hands against the back of the sink. Providing a faucet with a longer neck would fix that problem.
There is no A/C, and again - I expected that. But you need to keep the windows open for fresh air and herein lies the problem...the noise. Street noise is somewhat tolerable if you are not a light sleeper, however the garbage pick-up in the alley at 5:00am was less than desirable and impossible to sleep through. To their credit, the hotel offers earplugs to their guests. Unfortunately, my husband did not sleep very well on either night we stayed at this hotel.
Finding a person to talk to in the lobby is not a given as the sister hotel next door seems to hold greater favor with the staff. A note left at the front desk or on the front door will guide you to call or walk to the White Swan about 80% of the time.
The wine reception is a nice idea and most seemed to enjoy it. We showed up just as the last clean glass was taken so we missed out.
The breakfast was fairly good. When I add it all up - we didn't feel we got a good value for what we paid for our room (about $380.00 for 2 nights, incl. parking and taxes).
On our last morning there, a maintenance man had to come up and check our bathroom to investigate the source of a water problem that was apparently leaking into the breakfast dining room a couple of floors below. It's an old hotel and I got the impression it is being maintained on a shoestring budget.
If we had paid less for the stay maybe the little things wouldn't have bothered us so much. I'll stay elsewhere on my next trip to San Francisco.

1  Thank WhimsicalOne

Reviewed September 22, 2009

Hotel was very pretty, service was fabulous. But the hotel is not well maintained, we may have just been unlucky but the first room we were in was so noisy we were moved to another which had a blocked toilet that flooded the room (and by the smell and wet floor this was not a new issue) then moved to a new room where the lights and tap didnt work. No rooms had curtains which is an issue for me as a light sleeper, no air con which contrary to popular belief IS needed in san francisco as it was warm and muggy. We were told to open the windows, its so noisy though that lead to no sleep either. Overall it was disappointing. I did send a complaint to the management but have had no reply. Hotel offers free wifi but it didnt work most of the time we were there. Oh and there is a $32 a night charge for valet parking and in a scarily busy part of SF we couldnt take the risk finding somewhere to leave the car so had to pay over $100 with taxes for 3 nights parking!
Oh and the breakfast... it tries to be french cuisine but was poor choice to be honest

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Things we loved about the place: the over-all ambience, our room (Room 25), the central location, the other guests (mostly international), breakfast (variety of breads/rolls/pastries/hot&cold cereal, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit), wine reception that included multiple cheeses, crackers, appetizers & dessert (we are not drinkers - they also had teas & coffee). The common area was comfortably cozy (yet another fireplace!) & very condusive to enjoyable conversations with other guests.

I don't know why anyone would stay in an institutionally-decorated, impersonal chain hotel when they could stay at a charming, comfortable inn like this.

Reviewed September 12, 2009

My husband I I stayed at the Petite Auberge about 3 weeks ago for 5 days. We had an excellent stay. We had one of the basic homes and it was more than adequate. We spent most of our time sightseeing, therefore we had no need for a large room. The staff was so helpful and accomodating. They went out of their way to give directions and recommend restaurants. The breakfast was good every morning, with plenty of healthy choices. We especially enjoyed the cookies that were put out every day as well as the fruit and drinks provided. Another thing that was not mentioned on this page was that the guests at the Petite Auberge could use the fitness room at the White Swan. This was especially nice for my husband who wanted to use the treadmill. Overall it was a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The Petite Auberge is the most darling inn centrally located near Union Square. You can literally walk just 2 blocks to the cable car and 4 blocks to China Town. It is just so convenient. And the staff is so accomodating and professional as well. One of the best things they offer with your stay is a delightful breakfast and also wine and cheese in the afternoon after a full day of gadding about. Oh, and did I mention the fresh-made cookies that are available? The rooms are cozy too..most with fireplaces. I love San Francisco and this is the only place I will stay when I visit.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank llinnie008
Reviewed August 9, 2009

pleasantly surprised at the great location and the adorable ambience of the french country themed hotel, The staff is more than happy to give you tourist information that makes your visit even more enjoyable. Will definitely stay here again and have recommended it to family and friends. A room with the fireplace is a great touch. Carol Thomaier

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank charleswow
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We spent 3 nights in that fantastic Petite Auberge at the end of our west coast trip. It was really perfectly in the right spot : 2 blocks from Union Square, it's vivid life and all the transports,( the Cable Car even stops a 100m from the hotel !), and still very quiet ! We had an adorable queen size-Fireplace room (n°45), spacious, comfortable, perfectly clean, and so completely romantic! The wine-time (instead of tea-time !), was the perfect spot to taste Californian Wine, and above all to have a fantastic moment to meet all the other guests of the hotel, and to exchange all the best things to do all over the place ! a really great melting pot, we met awesome people ! And of course, don't miss the breakfast, every day something different, fresh fruits, delicious ! We'll definitely come back to Petite Auberge !

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple