“Loved this hotel! Includes happy hour :)”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #26 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here last summer with my boyfriend for the San Francisco Marathon and had a wonderful stay! Hotels for this weekend were over $500 for a 2 star, and I happened to stumble upon this bed and breakfast on Hotels.com for avg $220/night (I think this was just a very popular weekend in SF).

At first we weren't sure what to expect. The decor is older, but comfortable...exactly how I imagine a b&b. Our room had a fireplace, which was a great touch! We stayed 2 nights here, so we were able to take advantage of their "Happy Hour" and breakfast. Their happy hour was the perfect way to start the evening! We had wine, chese, fruit, dips, crackers, chocolates....it was great! And the wine kept coming! They also keep the refridgerator in the kitchen open at all times, so we could get waters, cokes, etc anytime. The breakfast was hot and cooked right there! Again nice food and lots of it. The location is perfect - lower Nob Hill. So many restaurants in walking distance!

I have zero complaints about this hotel. It was a FANTASTIC stay! I highly recommend staying here and will definitely book again on our next visit to S.F.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2013

T that is small and quaint, and especially clean. The staff is so friendly, I felt like family. We arrived way too early for check-in, but went to the hotel to see when our room might be ready. The staff readily took our bags into storage and offered us coffee, pastries and a lounge area to rest in until our room was ready. Everyday the staff was attentive and so polite. Every time we arrived or left the hotel, we were greeted. There is a fridge with soft drinks and water that is available to guests 24/7, as is the same with hot coffee and assorted teas. This place exceeded my expectations. When I come back to San Francisco, I will be sure to stay at the Petite Auberge again and again and again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca L, General Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear BambiLaFawn,

Thank you very much for such positive feedback. I am thrilled that you felt so welcomed in to the Petite Auberge family! We pride ourselves on providing genuine and individual service to each of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to share your positive experience. I greatly look forward to welcoming you back again and again and again!

Warmest regards,

Rebecca Levy

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I originally booked a two-night state at Petite Auberge and was forced to leave after the first night because it was impossible to get a good night's sleep. Around 9pm, I went to sleep in my room and was awoken around midnight by a combination of street noise from a nearby nightclub, a loud creaking floor from the guest above me, and the heat and stuffiness of the room, which didn't have air conditioning. I requested a room change, which the staff courteously obliged. My second room initially seemed better - less street noise - but then I realized I could hear my neighbor loudly snoring *through* the wall! I have never experienced this in a hotel of any price, and I've stayed in some extremely cheap roadside accommodations. I slept very little through the night and checked out early. Petite Auberge has agreed to refund my second night, although it hasn't been processed yet.

If this hotel had been a budget destination, I could have put up with not sleeping, but the price was way, way too high for what I experienced. I switched to the Marriott Marquis for a lower rate for my second night in SF and was much happier there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and for your kind comments regarding our staff during your stay. I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to resolve this for you during your evening with us, and we sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having stayed 3 nights in San Francisco the petite auberge is a very good choice as it is very close to all major sights. If you happen to arrive via rental car (as final stop before flying home) you can return the car (almao, national etc.) just 3 mins down the road at the return counter (very convenient!). The rooms have good size (you cannot expect to have giant rooms in a city like San Francicso) with private bath and even a gas fire place. Breakfast is being served in the basement area and the cook offers a fresh tortilla every day (+home baked bread, Juice, coffee, fruits, eggs etc.). During afternoon complimentary wine is being offered downstairs aswell. I can really recommend this place !

Room Tip: always good to have a room away from the elevator and on upper floor - it´s a big city with normal c...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is run by the same management as the White Swan Inn. The style is French, the rooms are smaller and less clean than the White Swan. The rooms by the road side are noisy and I lost sleep. I stayed here for just a day since my room was not ready at the White Swan. This is no match for the prettier and lovely W.Swan just two doors away. On the positive side, the location is great.

Room Tip: Avoid street level rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked via Priceline and got their regular promotional rate - when we arrived the check-in was smooth and the front desk was very helpful. Once we had moved our stuff in, the room was definitely small - we weren't expecting anything bigger, it was quaint and cozy. We had our 14 month old child with us and as we set up everything in the room, the phone rang and it was front desk. They had seen that we had the baby and asked if we wanted a bigger room. They were kind enough to provide us with a free upgrade to their petite suite, which was great.

Overall with the included breakfast, evening wine and h'orderves, it was great value. The parking in San Fran is always a pain and expensive, but their valet was only $32 which is great considering a parking garage is usually around $27, so that's not bad. The only thing I would say is that be ready for extended wait for your car - they say give yourself 20 - 30 mins, I would lean towards 30 mins.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Petite Auberge; I am delighted we were able to welcome your family for a great stay, and that you enjoyed our breakfast and afternoon reception. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

By now you have probably read some of the gushing and glowing reviews of Petite Auberge in San Francisco. We will join those accolades - with a caveat. Petite Auberge has to be one of the cutest place we have stayed in the area. Check-in is next door at her sister Windsor Inn meaning you must schlep your bags back down the street a bit. But the old-fashioned elevator ride up to the 5th floor front (Room 51) makes it worh it. And when you enter that space (even if you get keys that WORK like ours did not - another minor annoyance), you enter into a truly magical space. Five floors up, a bay window and fireplace, a bed to die for, plenty of space, complimentary evening wine and hors d'oeuvres and a modest breakfast. All this - for just a little bit too much fare. That's our sticking point - the price was, in our opinion, just too much for this space. Factor in the valet parking (or any alternative transport, if you will) and things got out of hand pretty fast. Wish I could lend an unqualified recommendation (the staff was superb!!!) but CHECK AROUND JUST A BIT before you book.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple