“Great Service and Value - French Country Style”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #23 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great Service and Value - French Country Style”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel reminded us of some of our best experiences staying in the French countryside. The room was spacious (for San Francisco) and very comfortable. The happy hour light drinks and snacks were included in the price. We left early so we weren't able to try the breakfast but we're looking forward to visiting again. Wifi was also included which was a wonderful touch.

The steep stairwells may not be appropriate for less mobile travellers and the busy wallpaper may not be to everyone's taste but we thought it was all charming. Our room did not have a fridge but water and asserted pop was provided in the lounge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Slovak first
Cessnock, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

When it came to booking the accommodation for San Fransisco, my husband and I were sure, we didn't just want to stay anywhere, we wanted something nice, something unique and something very central. Petite Auberge was high on our list and we were so happy when we got a room booked. We drove into San Fransisco from the North, it was easy to find and navigate by car, and once we checked in the staff was so friendly and helped us getting the car organised. We didn't need it for the time in The City, the hotel is walking distance to everything you could ask for, and there are cable cars and busses all close. Just a great location.
Loved the rooms, with fireplace, and the breakfast was great, all you can wish for with a lot of personality and atmosphere. I will be back! Thanks so much for a wonderful experience in this amazing city!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AMckenzie90
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for choosing us for your visit to San Francisco! We hope to welcome you again.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was the quirkiest hotel I have stayed at and I highly recommend it. I was meeting in San Francisco with a group of friends from all over the world and we all stayed there. This turned out to be an excellent choice. Breakfast, wifi and happy hour in the Parlour were all included in the price and meant we met up at least twice a day to discuss how we were doing. The rooms are delightful. Although some are smallish, others are roomy and all have coffee makers. It's just up the hill (1 block) from the main union square shopping district and only a block and a half from the Powell street cable car line. China town is in close walking distance as is the top of nob hill. And if you can't get in here, the White Swan next door is owned by the same company and we were assured the only difference is that they play French music in one and English music in the other!! The staff were superb! Andy was a particular delight!!

Room Tip: I agree with other reviewers that the fifth floor away from the lift is best. Quietest and lightest...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kimball, Nebraska
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Petite Auberge which is the sister property located next door to the White Swan Inn. Our experience was nothing short of perfect! From the friendly and helpful staff, the delicious breakfasts with a of variety of pastries, homemade bread, fresh fruits, and an egg dish every morning, the wine and hors-d'oeuvres social time each evening, and the beautiful and cozy room with antique furnishings and a lovely fireplace - we could not have asked for anything more. This was our first time in San Francisco, and the young man at the front desk offered a multitude of recommendations of places to eat and sights to see, as well as a map with directions. The location was wonderful and within walking distance of China Town and Union Square. We especially loved the "homey" feel. It is a boutique hotel and an older building, but that just added to its charm. While I don't believe it is a place for a young family, it is perfect for couples- both young and old, and for anyone looking for a quaint, comfortable, and memorable place to stay while visiting the incredible city of San Francisco. I highly recommend this hotel and cannot wait for a return visit !

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard are more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LLH85
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are delighted you enjoyed the inn, and are honored to have shared your first trip to San Francisco with you. We hope to be your 'home-away-from-home' on your next visit to the area!
Trelleborg, Sweden
Reviewed April 15, 2013

It is very far from the standardized international hotel that perhaps is better for a business trip. But if you can accept that the lobby is in another hotel and the hotel is a bit run down you will have lovely stay. The breakfast is okay if not the standard the big hotels charge you 20-30 dollars for. But it is much better than what you normally get when breakfast is included in the price. The 5 a clock wine is a great idea. We met nice people and had interesting discussions with them. The location is very good and within walking distance from shopping and public transport. The room was quiet until 06.30 when the trash was collected so you don't need an alarm bell. The view from the room was a brick wall.

Room Tip: We had a room with a fireplace. I think, from what i saw, these rooms are a bit bigger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anders B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My room was run down and overpriced. Bathroom needed upgrading. Much better places to stay in sfo? Breakfast and happy hiur fine. Not 24 hour service as share with white swan next door. Very disappointed as i picked hotel based on good reviews but did nothing for me

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Darlingdolly
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. We are very excited to be in the planning stages for renovation work at Petite Auberge, and I hope you'll try us again for a future stay.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I chose this hotel as it was one block back from the Marriott Union Square where I was attending a two-day conference. It was cheaper and also provided more value for money, including a full daily breakfast, happy hour wine and cheese in the afternoons and free wifi. Plus, it got away from the ever-so-slightly sleazy vibe that a conference hotel can have, especially from married men on the prowl of which there were a few...
On arriving, I was delighted to be allocated an upgrade to their best room, the Petite Suite (or room 10). Access is via the pathway outside and they brought my bags down and showed me how the instant gas fireplace worked in the loungeroom. My mother used to paint and teach folk art and it looked like she had been set loose in the hotel living area, dining area, hallway and throughout my room with bauernmalerai everywhere.
It was a complete change of pace and decor from the ultra-cool Morgans Hotel in New York I'd been in previously but it felt homey so I didn't mind.
The big oval shower bath has a hot water timer but I don't waste time in the shower so was always out with several minutes to spare. They have a thoughtful, old-fashioned make-up table and chair in the bathroom which was a huge improvement on the thin shelf and toilet seat I had to use in Morgans. The king size bed has to be the hardest I have ever, ever slept on and there was no way to turn off the outside lights once I was going to sleep but they are minor quibbles.
The hotel is up the hill from the main shopping precinct and there seems to be a mini-mart, nail and waxing salon and a Walgreens pharmacy seemingly on every block. There is a very good Japanese restaurant around the corner too.
On my second morning I was a little alarmed to find the door sticking but got out to reach my conference in time and thought nothing more of it. However on the third morning, I could not open the door at all no matter how many times I tried to unlock it. It was then I discovered that the concierge and front desk buttons did not work on the room telephone so had to call the hotel using the direct number. It took them about 35 minutes to get me out after they finally went in through the grilled window. When I returned that night, because I hadn't made that much of a fuss, received a gorgeous note and bouquet of flowers from the very helpful Molly.
If I was coming to San Francisco again, I'd be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: The Petite Suite may be a bit quieter than rooms in the main section of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business