Petite Auberge
$175
$161
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$267
$165
$491
$194
  • Pool
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$269
$259
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$179
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
$269
$408
Hotelpower.com
1,608 results
All reviewswhite swancozy queencookie jargas fireplacefrench countrysister hotelwine and appetizersother guestsunion squareafternoon winewine receptionbed and breakfastbreakfast was deliciouscharming hotelsmall hotelnob hillfresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I chose this hotel as it was one block back from the Marriott Union Square where I was attending a two-day conference. It was cheaper and also provided more value for money, including a full daily breakfast, happy hour wine and cheese in the afternoons and free wifi. Plus, it got away from the ever-so-slightly sleazy vibe that a conference hotel can have, especially from married men on the prowl of which there were a few...
On arriving, I was delighted to be allocated an upgrade to their best room, the Petite Suite (or room 10). Access is via the pathway outside and they brought my bags down and showed me how the instant gas fireplace worked in the loungeroom. My mother used to paint and teach folk art and it looked like she had been set loose in the hotel living area, dining area, hallway and throughout my room with bauernmalerai everywhere.
It was a complete change of pace and decor from the ultra-cool Morgans Hotel in New York I'd been in previously but it felt homey so I didn't mind.
The big oval shower bath has a hot water timer but I don't waste time in the shower so was always out with several minutes to spare. They have a thoughtful, old-fashioned make-up table and chair in the bathroom which was a huge improvement on the thin shelf and toilet seat I had to use in Morgans. The king size bed has to be the hardest I have ever, ever slept on and there was no way to turn off the outside lights once I was going to sleep but they are minor quibbles.
The hotel is up the hill from the main shopping precinct and there seems to be a mini-mart, nail and waxing salon and a Walgreens pharmacy seemingly on every block. There is a very good Japanese restaurant around the corner too.
On my second morning I was a little alarmed to find the door sticking but got out to reach my conference in time and thought nothing more of it. However on the third morning, I could not open the door at all no matter how many times I tried to unlock it. It was then I discovered that the concierge and front desk buttons did not work on the room telephone so had to call the hotel using the direct number. It took them about 35 minutes to get me out after they finally went in through the grilled window. When I returned that night, because I hadn't made that much of a fuss, received a gorgeous note and bouquet of flowers from the very helpful Molly.
If I was coming to San Francisco again, I'd be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: The Petite Suite may be a bit quieter than rooms in the main section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very helpful and friendly staff. Although small ( 26 rooms) we enjoyed our stay - a gas lit open fireplace in our room, very clean, comfortable bed. The breakfast included was - nice pastries and home made soda bread. Downfall for breakfast , terrible coffee.

Disappointed with other inconsiderate guests - because the building was so old, the noise from other rooms next door and above us was quite significant.

Overall - very good although not the cheapest but very well located in Bush Street, close to main shopping precinct, cable cars and numerous good restaurants.

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the top floor so that you don't have noise from rooms above and don t forget fireplace room - lovely to come back to after a full day out.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights about a month ago at the beginning of a two week road trip of the California coast. Upon our arrival our immediate reaction to the hotel was just OK but once settled in our room we begin to feel very comfortable. The staff was terrific and in particular we want to thank Andy for his kindness and attention to our needs. The hotel is old but we were impressed that everything worked perfectly. The breakfasts were over the top and the afternoon wine hour was a nice treat. Overall we give high grades to this place and we would definitely return.

1  Thank george f
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights recently. It felt a bit odd checking in at the sister property White Swan Inn two doors down the street. The staff handled the situation well. We were given good advice concerning where to eat, how to catch the cable car, and a good bicycle route to the Golden Gate bridge from the hotel. The room was romantic and cozy. The breakfast was delicious and hearty. We look forward to a stay at Petite Auberge sometime in the future.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Warm and personal atmosphere. Negative issues by other reviewers were not experienced. Great complimentary breakfasts, cookies and wine and snacks. Met and enjoyed conversations with other guests at the evening wine and cheese event, something unlikely to happen in a hotel lounge or bar. Our fireplace room was compact but comfortable with a view onto a beautiful neighboring palm tree. Staff assistance when required was courteous, very helpful and friendly. Room and common areas clean and fresh. Well placed location for quick access to shopping, cable car line and points of interest. Would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Fireplace rooms a bit bigger. West side top floor at back has better view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Molly C, Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Duane, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you enjoyed the inn and our amenities, as well as the opportunities to meet with other guests! We hope to welcome you again.