We visit San Francisco annually; used to live there. Booked our flights before realizing that I had booked for the busiest week in San Francisco tourist history: Fleet Week, Blue Angels, Bluegrass Festival, SF Giants playoff games, 49er game, America's Cup sailing, Madonna concerts, Folsom Street fair...it was all on. I guess I should have wondered why this property had availability when the entire City was all but sold out...
Reservations didn't work on-line, but the receptionist was great on the phone. Check in was next door at the adjacent property...Petite Auberge is really an annex of (annex to?) the White Swan Inn. Being a "Joie de Vivre" hotel gave me some assurance the place would be OK. We booked for three nights; nothing much else was free.
Room was OK, a little overly 'chintzed' - the faux Laura Ashley look - but the gas fireplace was everything I had hoped it would be on cool SF afternoons and evenings. The fireplace was indeed the best part of the stay. No desk, and we rearranged the room to be able to see the television (other than while standing)...it would be tough to be there on business.
I've lived in a lot of cities - and this is the noisiest hotel I have ever been in. There must be a bar or club that is adjacent - after our first night we went strolling around looking for it but couldn't find it. There was some girl who from 1 - 2 AM just screamed '[--]!!! LET'S RIP THIS PLACE UP!!!' over and over again. They closed the place and the party continued in the street. All the rooms open on to an alley and a parking lot, so any noise echoes like crazy.
As the property is on the edge of the Tenderloin, there tend to be a fair number of homeless folks in the area. And they get into their fare share of incoherent shouting matches in the nearby allies and streets. In the wee hours.
At 5.30 every morning, someone took a couple of large trash receptacles bouncing down, and then back up the stairs. I suspect it was from the mystery bar.
Sorry to be a downer - but the noise pretty much ruined every night for us from midnight to dawn. Not much sleep.
The breakfast was OK. Nothing special. THEY HAVE GREAT COFFEE!!!
Don't park a car at the hotel. Valet parking is about $35/night, and the minimum wait to retrieve it is 20 minutes. Our last morning, they lost the remote key for the 'keyless' ignition and it took 45 minutes to get the car.
One night we returned at around 11 PM and asked the lone person at the White Swan (as Petit Auberge is locked up tight) to please call the valet. He said he'd get to it and took the key. I'm not sure why but he started the car and left it unlocked...with a lot of our belongings in the car. I had to come back, track him down and lock the car and wait for the valet myself. I asked why he had left the car unlocked - and he gave me a hard time.If not already so sleep-deprived, I would have gotten his name.
Summary: I would not stay here again - there are lots of better choices in SF. Very, very noisy. Cute, but not user friendly. And some staff that need to find another line of work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located between Nob Hill and Union Square, Petite Auberge is the perfect small hotel for a trip to San Francisco. The Petite Auberge welcomes you to a world of French provincial enchantment. French doors with beveled glass, a collection of French art, a cozy parlor with a crackling fire and afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres. Most guestrooms offer fireplaces. We offer a generous breakfast buffet each morning and an evening wine reception. Fresh baked cookies are available each afternoon. Also, check out our sister hotel, White Swan Inn just 20 feet away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Odigeo so you can book your Petite Auberge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Petite Auberge Hotel San Francisco
- Petite Auberge San Francisco