“I LOVE THE HOTEL AND THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ARE AMAZING”
Review of Hotel Griffon

Hotel Griffon
Ranked #29 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
smlamagra
“I LOVE THE HOTEL AND THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ARE AMAZING”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I have only good things to say about this Hotel. All of the people that work there are amazing and make sure that you are always having a nice stay. Its it also perfect walking distance to Pier 39 or even to Bart. I will stay Here again. 5 plus stars for me on this Hotel

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank smlamagra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Lomita, CA
Reviewed February 9, 2010

From the moment we arrived our experience with The Hotel Griffon was fantastic. As other reviewers state the rooms ARE small, but oh so comfy! Having a sink in the sleeping area worked well for us as one could be showering and the other could finish getting ready. Having spent a bit of time in the lobby on the computers I could hear the staff interact with each other as well as other guests. One thing that impressed me was how well they treat each other, which carries over to how they treat their guests. Our Concierge, Connor, was a doll! If he didn't know something he would find out the information within moments. He went above and beyond and I can honestly say he saved our trip for us. (tip to management...keep him...he's a 10+!). Our airline didn't offer reserved seating and wanting to be in the first boarding group so we could sit together, we found ourselves in a bind. Do we miss our trip to Alcatraz or ?....problem solved. The front desk staff took our information and when we returned we were handed our boarding passes for the first group! We spent our last of three nights there in the on site restaurant, Perrys, watching the Superbowl. Best meal of our entire trip, if only we had known how good the food was from the first day! In all our travels we have never had such a perfect, completely relaxing, stay. We will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shelleee12
CA
Reviewed February 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here overnight in a standard queen room. We got this room for a great price when we booked at least 14 days in advance through their own site. The rooms are small, but they are not unbareable. We actually liked it being smaller than a normal room. You don't need all that extra space unless you are going to live there. The room was nicely decorated and clean. The hotel in general was nice and there is a restaurant and bar right inside as well. The valet guy was very nice and a great help. Though I would just park across the street myself next time to avoid the $45 charge for valet, or use the Muni's. Overall really nice hotel and we will definitely stay here next time we visit SF.
Cons: Front desk staff doesn't seem happy and friendly, they just get to the point. But whatever I don't need the enthusiasm. Valet price too high. The shower water trickles out, good luck to any woman who wants to wash her hair. My husband even complained of this issue. I believe this is part of their "green" philosophy, but it doesn't make sense when you just have to take an extremely longer shower than usual to wash up. Then, we did not notice this until the next morning, but we were woken up by the crying child next door and could hear the parents talking, so apparently the walls are paper thin. Other than these minor issues we did enjoy our stay and will return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank NickelCa
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We are two SF natives who experienced a plumbing disaster and were left without a place to stay for a few days. We work near the ballpark and needed to be near our offices- so we chose the Hotel Griffon on the Embarcadero. This was ideal- we were only 2 MUNI metro stops from work- less than 5 minutes away!

We loved this charmer of a hotel! First, it is petite, but they had everything we needed and more, and the staff would have done anything we needed. The hotel had free WIFI which was a MUST for us. The room itself: we stayed on the 3rd floor in a King room. The bed was absolutely gorgeous, and so soft, with high quality linens. Both nights we stayed neither of us wanted to get up in the morning. We also thought the exposed rustic brick wall was a really great design for this hotel, and it showed the “bones” of an authentic San Francisco property. We could only imagine what the place had looked like 100 years ago.

The hotel is very GREEN- they had these really cool flushing toilets that reminded us of toilets we had used in Europe and Australia, where you can select the type of flush to save water. The amenities were all GREEN and sustainable, and we appreciated that the mini-bar was full of locally selected and organic items.

The bed was excellent, and the flat-screen TV was positioned high on the wall so we could lie in bed and watch all the shows we were missing- as if we were in our own house. This comfort we experienced after being so upset with our plumbing at home was just what we needed. We wished we could have stayed longer… or set up house at the Hotel Griffon!

Thank You Hotel Griffon! You provided us with a comfortable and friendly place to stay; we didn’t even think twice about the work going on at our house. What a nice little vacation!

Best,
The Robles Family

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrrobles
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed in one of Hotel Griffon's suites, and the view took my breath away. I arrived after a long, stressful day of travelling and seeing the view of the Bay Bridge lit up at night literally turned my frown upside down! After showering and using their eco-friendly products (big plus!) I stepped outside and realized I was walking distance to many popular San Francisco attractions: Chinatown, Little Italy, the Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf/Ghiradelli Square and the Financial District... just to name a few. Plus, the staff was friendly and their complimentary breakfast was perfect! I would stay here again in a second!

1 Thank daniigirl
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 3, 2009

This was my first time staying at Hotel Griffon and it definitely won't be the last. We were greeted by an incredibly nice front desk staff upon check in. They were so personable and gave us directions to pretty much everywhere. I stayed in a suite with a few of my girlfriends to celebrate a birthday and it was the perfect size for us to all get ready each night. We had the most amazing view of the bay and it was such a quick walk to bart. The lobby was so classy and everything felt so clean. The continental breakfast was also a nice treat in the mornings. We all had such a wonderful time in the city and we owe most of it to Hotel Griffon. I hardly ever write reviews but this was such a great experience I just had to! Definitely recommended for romantic getaways and groups of friends.

2 Thank daisy4684
Silicon Valley
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I fell in love with Hotel Griffon the moment I got into the suite. Our room overlooked Embarcadero and the Bay Bridge was popping against the blue sky. I went to the window which fully opened and saw two parrots (I swear they were parrots) fly by and could hear them squawk. It was truly a very special moment. The staff was very friendly while we were there and they had a good breakfast available the next day. You can tell that they get a lot of international travelers because they had real yogurt. I give Hotel Griffon a 5 start rating for sure.

2 Thank Jendeja