“Very small rooms, great location, perfect for a quick stay”
Review of Hotel Griffon

Hotel Griffon
Ranked #29 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County, CA
“Very small rooms, great location, perfect for a quick stay”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a day and we had a great time. The restaurant was under renovation so we heard a little bit of construction in the morning. Rooms are tiny, but do the trick if you don't plan on spending much time in them. Very nice mounted flat screen tv. Location was awesome, right next to MUNI, BART, etc. About 1.3 miles of Pier 39.

Parking is valet only, 40 bucks a night.

Overall, great if you're looking for a place to sleep at night.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Orange County
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Me and my wife stayed here as it looked nice on website and appeared to be in good area and were advertising a good deal for a room with Bay view. Ok. Well, upon arrival desk staff treated us like dirt, manager argued with us and also expedia rep, and refused to give us the room we had paid for. They were so awful, I have never seen something like it before - absolutely awful staff at front desk, including the manager. They finally gave us our room after waiting, arguing and having to go through a humiliating experience in the lobby. The guestroom was small and not very nice, and there is lots of noise from the street. Please do not stay here, they do not deserve to be in business in such a nice city like San Francisco. I hope they go out of business. Do not stay here, you will hate it.

• Liked — not sure
  • Disliked — service and attitude of employees, especially at front desk, and breakfast was a joke too
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed July 24, 2008

If you are looking for spacious rooms and top-notch customer service, I'm sure there are plenty of places to stay in San Francisco. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.
On the good side - the location is excellent - with TONS of things within walking distance. The bellmen were very helpful and always willing to answer questions.
Unfortunately, the front desk is a mess. Customer service is not the priority at Hotel Griffon. Late checkins seemed to be quite common there, so don't expect to check in at 3:00, as advertised. Also, when they fill up they will change the room rate. Although we had reservations at $200/night, they charged us $270 for one of the nights because they filled up. It took several minutes of arguing with the manager to get this reversed.
If you are a light sleeper, this is not the place for you either. You will hear every single thing going on in the hall and every door slam. The view from our window was terrible (I posted a picture).
Its really a shame, because this could be a great place to stay. I wish I had read more reviews before we booked there.

• Liked — Fabulous location!
  • Disliked — Terrible customer service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank legend87
Oakland
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I made a reservation a month in advance through the hotel's website and pre-paid for a suite with patio. When I arrived at the hotel, the desk clerk had me sign the paperwork and THEN told me there was not a suite for me due to an error in their reservation system. He said the manager left a note authorizing me to get a regular room at a discount -- $40 off the full rack rate. The desk clerk was not at all apologetic for their error, and when I asked to speak to the manager she was also unapologetic. I felt I had been given a "bait and switch" by the hotel, and since they already had my money I could not take my business elsewhere. When I finally got the manager to begrudgingly allow me a room for more of a discount (still only $85 off the rack rate), I had to argue with her to get her to issue me a refund of the money I had already paid. She insisted she would be on duty in the morning and would give me my refund when I checked out. I persisted in requesting it be given to me right then. When she finally relented it took her nearly 15 minutes to process it. I found this insulting -- if I had requested an upgrade and was paying for it, they certainly would have run the charge immediately and quickly. The room was ok, but seemed to be 1/4 the size of the suite I had booked. To cap it all off, the difficulty checking in and the feet dragging by the manager made me late and I missed one of the performers I had been looking forward to seeing at the concert I went to that evening. The rooms themselves are decent enough, but the "service" here is beyond horrible.

• Liked — proximity to activities
  • Disliked — the service staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nensbiggestfan
Irvine, CA
Reviewed March 18, 2008

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but really cozy and comfortable, and very quiet. The location is great, right across from the Ferry Market Building, and interesting restaurants. I had a great time, and am planning to go back soon.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Griffon during a recent weekend catching up with some college friends. I booked after careful consideration of the reviews, and also because I was able to secure a great price. Think I paid 100 dollars. I arrived in a rainstorm, and was warmly and professionally greeted, and welcomed to my room 416. The hotel has a boutique feel without the boutique price, and the rooms are small but well-appointed. It's perfect for one person, to luxuriate. The rooms have earthtone schemes, an abundance of fabric but not too fussy at all. The wall-mounted plasma screen was cool. As was the silky, clean robes. I also enjoyed the many complimentary sundry items such as the Aveda products, and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Basically, I just hung out watching TV and drinking hot coffee, and it felt great, a nice antidote to being out in the City. Previous posters have mentioned the dim lighting'; there are multiple lighting sources in the room that overall illuminate the room's sexy/intimate character. It's dim/sexy not dim/dingy. I didn't feel as though the hotel was hiding any flaws using this lighting plan. The rooms are extremely clean and are fragrance-free. Note room 418 faces the Bay, and Bay Bridge and seems especially romantic. The hotel only has five stories btw. 418 may be a junior suite or what not but may be worth the additional expense if traveling with a spouse or companion and wanting to wow and luxuriate. I will definitely stay at the Griffon again when my plans take me North.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Joemugg
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed March 13, 2008

Stayed for a recent business trip, just needed a nice, comfortable place to stay in town. Been to SF many times, downtown hotels are usually long on price and short on value. This hotel exceeded my expectations. Room was small but met all my needs. Bed very comfortable, large flat screen TV mounted on the wall. Amenities were plenty, free breakfast bar in the morning offered treats and pretty good coffee. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Great value considering it's right offm arket St. which makes getting anywhere easy. Will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — quality of the accommodations
  • Disliked — small elevator
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business