“Our home away from home”
Review of Hotel Griffon

Ranked #29 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Our home away from home”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We adore the Griffon, and stay there whenever we're in San Francisco, after trying out numerous Union Square hotels that promise to be cute and boutique-y but turn out to be something less-than. The Griffon is cute and boutique-y, has a fabulous location (steps from the Ferry Building!), and has a wonderful and welcoming staff. The parking package makes it really easy to stay without stressing over SF parking, we can walk everywhere, and Perry's as the house restaurant is icing on the hotel cake. Free wi-fi, newspapers for the taking, coffee in the morning as we dash out on the day's adventures - this place has it!

Room Tip: The queen rooms are small, but manageable. We had room 307 this time, which I will request again, s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
We sincerely appreciate your comments and of course, your patronage of the Hotel Griffon. We believe that the hotel is situated in one of the best areas of the city; on the bay, near the ferry building and away from the crowds. We are happy to hear you took advantage of our parking package and that you enjoyed our complimentary coffee and newspapers, wifi and Perry's Restaurant, just off our lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and often..

Hotel Griffon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This could be a great hotel, but there were a few things that really turned me off. First, I had read reviews and knew the rooms were going to be small, but they are tiny - just enough room to walk around the bed and into a bathroom - it made me feel very claustrophobic. And the window was frosted so there was no view or natural sunlight. Second, our room was right next to an ice machine, which was very loud and woke us up several times during the night. Third, the cleaning service started vacuuming the hallways at 8:30 in the morning! Which also woke us up. Come on - people want to sleep in on their vacations! The great thing about this hotel was its location - it's right on the embarcadero and near the ferry building which is very central and lively. There was also a great restaurant/bar attached. The decor of the hotel is also lovely & unique. If I went to San Francisco again I would probably choose a more spacious hotel, but if you don't plan on being in the room a lot, this would be a good choice.

Room Tip: Splurge on a bay view if you can, we didn't and regret it
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is just a block and a half from the Ferry Building and all it has to offer so that is a huge plus. I spent 2 nights in late June and it was fantastic....except for the check-in...which was not their fault...I think...

When we arrived there was a power outage in the hotel and they were running on an emergency generator. I gave them my name and they said I had no reservation. Then they asked if I had booked the room through a third party and I affirmed such. They found it and then told me I had cancelled the reservation. I explained that if I had cancelled the reservation then why was I standing in the lobby asking for my room. They assured me that there was no problem finding me a room and right as they were inputting my info into the computer ALL THE POWER WENT OUT in the entire hotel. I was told there was some work being done to the building down the street and it had caused the black-out but that the power would be back on in full by end of day. They took my bags and I drove away hoping to have a room when I returned.

After a lovely drive and walk around San Francisco we returned and was greeted by name and told our bags were in the room.

The rooms are small as are most of the older hotels in San Francisco but it was very clean and up to date.

We had a lovely stay for 2 nights and ate at the restaurant in the lobby several times.

Very nice place and I plan on returning again.

Room Tip: Street-side rooms can be a bit noisy as there is a bar next door
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guests,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon. We apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation when you arrived, but we are happy we were able to resolve it quickly for you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and will do our best to ensure the power stays on as well.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am very disappointed with my stay here at the Hotel Griffon. Housekeeping seems to be on vacation, (we've had to call for them to clean our room!), the elevator broke, so we had to climb 5 flights of stairs after a long day of walking, the hallways stink of ???, and our air conditioner makes horrible loud noises unless it is set at a level of a freezer. Plus we had pre-paid for our room to get a deal (which I now realize is FAR from a deal!!!), and they couldn't find our payment right away. If it weren't for not being able to get a refund for the 6 nights we pre-paid for, we would have switched hotels. I would not recommend staying here until they clean up their act!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience but it appears we fell well short of that goal during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the incidents that you experienced as these are not typical of our hotel. Comments such as yours help us improve our service and facilities and your feedback will be used to ensure such issues are swiftly resolved. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again as we are a much better hotel then you experienced and we wish to win you back as a customer.

East Midlands, UK
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed for business for a couple of nights. I had an inside room but thought it was really nice.
Friendly staff and good facilities.
Breakfast was great if not a bit big!
The bar downstairs is great and a good place for dinner and drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Ramon, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this place and will return. The hotel staff was phenomenal, location of hotel was perfect and the view from our room was amazing (see photos). If you get an opportunity to visit this property, do it!!

Room Tip: City view room is a must!!
Green Features: I appreciate the hotel's conscientiousness when it comes to their earth friendly measures.
Singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a great hotel right in front of the water. Close to the ferry building marketplace and the tram and even walking is possible to Union Sq. The room is snug and has everything a traveller will need. The bed is a tad soft in the middle but is acceptable. On the whole, it presents a great deal and great location.

Green Features: They provide bar of soaps which looks like a ring which helps reduce wastage. :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple