“Great Value and Location”

Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #21 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I got a deal by purchasing a king sized room on Living Social for 249.00 for one night and was pleasantly surprised. The room though small was very well thought out and the layout was extremely functional. I really liked the fact that the sink was in the room and not in with the shower/tub and toilet. The bed was quite comfortable and my daughter slept on the window seat which surprisingly worked out well. She is approximately 5'6" so and she didn't have to scrunch up at all. The room is small, but the furnishings and amenities made up for it! Whats nice is that you can grab a variety of free newspapers downstairs in the morning along with complimentary Peets coffee or tea! They also have a basket of fruit at the front desk which makes it convenient. I didn't find the rooms noisy as another reviewer stated and we are light sleepers and were located directly across from the ice machine. What's great is that parking and internet was included in our rate! Also we tried checking in early (before the check-in time) and only a queen was available but the Lady at the front desk comped us drinks and appetizers at the bar to make up for the smaller room (That was so accommodating!!!) The location is fabulous! I didn't care that I didn't have a view. I didn't need one since I was out most of the time. I would definitely go back!! I do have to warn you that the air conditioning vent is below the window seat (I don't know if that would be an issue for anyone). I was totally surprised that the bar offered a happy hour on Saturday that started at 3pm and lasts til 10 pm which allows you purchase a bottle of wine from their menu for 50% off. What a deal! I bought a bottle and the bartender provided me with wine glasses and I brought it back to the room! I'm not sure how good the food is because we ordered a clam chowder for room service and it was sweet. It didn't appeal to me at all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon. We are pleased you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, great location, friendly and accommodating staff as well as our restaurant, Perrys. Our staff takes great pride on providing personalized to service to our guests and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had several client visits scheduled over a 2-day period in San Fran. I found Hotel Griffon on Google maps and decided the location was perfect and the price was great for the city. The front desk staff was top notch and helped with everythig we needed. John was very helpful on several occasions. The front desk had staff members obviously enjoyed their job! The room was small but we lucked out by having a room facing Stuaurt Street with 2 windows. It really felt like a home-away-from-home. Thanks for everything, Hotel Girffon staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,
We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon and thank you for your patronage. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our great location along the Embarcadero waterfront and on behalf of John and the rest of the staff, we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We loved this hotel! It was close to our destination near the pier. We were able to ride the bart from Walnut Creek and back which is a real plus!
We enjoyed the bar and resturant very much. Lots of locals and a friendly atmosphere! Breakfast was great outside facing the water! We will return again! The only downside is the view of the rooms is limited by the way the hotel is built but we had enough to keep us busy1

Room Tip: Don't expect a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kklecker51
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here in July 2013 on business.

The check-in was efficient and friendly and I got up to my room quickly. The room was a bit on the smaller side for SF, so I was a bit disappointed. Also, I had the view of a wall, so that was the other deal breaker.

Other than that, other room was decent...very comfortable bed (slept like a baby), nice aircon (had a horror aircon in my NYC hotel). I didn't like it that the sink was in the room vs the bathroom either..but I can understand the reasoning for that.

The rom service breakfast was good (cheddar omelet). Also Perry's downstairs is an entertaining bar....I had some friends over for drinks when I was it own and the barkeeps and waiters we very friendly.

Overall, I think I would have liked the room better if it was a tad bigger and the sink was in the bathroom..but it's not that big a deal.

The concierge also arranged a car in quick time for me to get to the Airport on Sat..so that was appreciated.

Lastly, it's just a short walk from the Ferry Bldg (Sat Farmers Mkt) and the Giants ballpark, so that's a plus!!! Take advantage of this...

More like a 3.5*. I might try out a different place next time.

Room Tip: Get a bigger room with a view of the Bay Bridge..that should be pleasing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TooshMan
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a really wonderful stay at Hotel Griffon. The location could not be better and we had a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge and harbor from our room which made it extra special. The staff in particular were so helpful and extremely nice from the desk to the porters to housekeeping. We really had a feeling that everyone cared about the hotel, and its guests which goes a long way. There aren't a lot of amenities and the rooms are on the smaller side, but it is to be expected in this part of San Francisco. Lastly, despite being right on the traffic filled Embarcadero, the double windows drowned out about 95% of the sound which was quite impressive! Would definitely go back next time we are in SF.

1  Thank Chesterpup
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are pleased to hear you had an enjoyable visit to the Hotel Griffon and that you enjoyed our wonderful view rooms of the Bay and Bay Bridge. Our staff takes great pride in providing personalized service and appreciate your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The tiny cramped rooms smell of damp and our neighbours might as well be in the same room as us. There's a great view but we'd trade it for some peace and privacy. We can literally hear every word they say - we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank multitrips
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your recent stay and for sharing your comments. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional stay and value our guest feedback to improve our facility and services. It appears we fell short of that goal during your stay and for that, we sincerely apologize. We will certainly look into the items you mentioned to make any necessary improvements. Thank you again for your visit and valuable feedback.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had a very nice experience at the hotel. Matt was very helpful at the front desk. We upgraded to a bay view room and we are so happy we did! The view of the bay bridge was beautiful in the afternoon and we loved the view of the lights in the evening. The hotel is in a great location. We walked to the Farmer's market at the Ferry building on Saturday morning. We walked to Union Square in the afternoon and walked down the street for dinner in the evening. Obviously, we didn't have to deal with driving at all. All of the staff we interacted with were very friendly, Glenn was particularly helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a bay side room! Gorgeous view.
1  Thank Laurie T
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Matt, Glenn and the rest of the staff, we wanted to thank you for your recent stay and sharing your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the world class views from our View King rooms as well as our convenient location near the Ferry Building and Union Square. Enjoying the Embarcadero waterfront and farmers market is always a treat for locals and visitors alike. We are looking forward to your return visit.