Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$175
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$281
$227
$319
$194
  • Pool
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$189
Hotels.com
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Room Service
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$229
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$434
$209
$178
Westin.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsbay bridgeferry buildinggreat locationexposed brickrooms are smallgiants gameexecutive suitefarmers marketbay view roomturn down servicerestaurant downstairsroom servicecomfortable bedfinancial districtvalet parkingeasy accessfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were last weekend in San Francisco, the hotel is nice, but as they have good reviews from trip advisor, we were expecting something good quality/price. The room was let's say ok (the room a little bit too dark and bathroom a little bit claustrophobic), it could worth the money paid if there wasn't a fan just outside the window that was disturbing us all the night. I understand that this hotel isn't the higher standard in SF but I have had much better nights in cheaper hotels in SF.
But the worst detail was when we asked for a taxi to pick up us, when we arrived to the hotel door, a private limo service was waiting us there, they tried to charge us 40$ for a 20$ trip. I even found it a bit dishonest.
Maybe we were just unlucky, but we weren't happy at all.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iker_3_81
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon and for sharing your comments regarding your experience. We strive to provide our guests with an exceptional experience however it appears we fell short of our goal and thusly did not exceed your expectations. I am dismayed about your comment regarding the limo service and sincerely apologize for this incident. We will review this with our service staff to ensure that such an issue is not repeated for future guests. Thank you again for sharing your comments and for staying at the Hotel Griffon. Your feedback is invaluable to us to improve our facility and services.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a nice, rather hip little hotel facing the Embarcadero. The friendly staff was helpful and down to earth.
My room was small like many of these older hotels that have been remade into boutiques but nicely appointed and clean as a whistle.
Perry's restaurant in the hotel was great. Good chow, more than fair prices by SFO standards and very lively at night. Had breakfast at a table on the sidewalk and watched the sun rise behind the palms and the Bay Bridge. I paid 179 by booking last minute on the Hotels Tonight app for a Friday and Saturday night stay. I assume weekdays are more.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon and for sharing your comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed our great staff, our clean and nicely appointed rooms and Perrys restaurant. We hope to welcome you back again when your travels return you to San Francisco.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I rarely write reviews, but this stay was so perfect, I felt compelled to. I did receive an upgrade to an upper floor suite, so I don't know what my original room would have been like, but the entire experience was incredible anyway, so I don't think it would have mattered too much. I stayed one night after a Giants game, and the walk to AT&T was lovely. The view from my "upgrade" room was gorgeous, looking both south to the Bay Bridge and north to the Ferry Building! The room was beautifully appointed, from the polished wood floors in the sitting room to the copper sink in the dry bar area. I even noticed artful folding of the tissues and towels and appreciated an interesting environmentally-friendly hollow-core soap along with it's "window" box. Also, Perry's is great! At the bar I ordered fries and a totally crisp and "loaded" iceberg lettuce salad along with my wine, and enjoyed talking with Giants fans and observing other interesting tourists at the same time. The staff was so friendly and helpful, up early in the morning to provide great coffee in the lobby. For a special treat for Giants games (even without the upgrade) I will definitely stay there again and again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I really liked the staff. Everyone was friendly and eager to help.
Rooms are slightly small but ok for a business trip. The neigborhood is great.
I did not like the fact that there was no pool. Also I was slightly irritated that the rooms had no bar. I could have had a drink late at night as I was jet-lagged.

Room Tip: Staff was friendly and helpful. This is a good place to stay for business. I was not so happy that there was no pool and I found the lack of a room bar slightly annoying.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank petraschnecke72
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon and for sharing your experience. We are very pleased you found our location on the Embarcadero, and close proximity to the Financial District conducive for your business trip. We hope upon your return that you will be able to enjoy a beverage at our in house restaurant, Perry’s. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Griffon on your next trip to San Francisco

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here 6 nights for a business trip. I've stayed in SF many times before and have experienced several hotels there.

I found the Griffon to be a friendly place, well positioned for market street and the transport system. This is a good location for tourists and you can use the heritage streetcars on the F-Line, to easily get to Fisherman's Wharf and Powell.

The rooms are not that big, but comfortable and tastefully equipped.

The restaurant did great breakfasts and the bar area also had a good atmosphere in the evening.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, who's looking to not stay in the usual chain hotels and get something a little more personal.

Would definitely stay there again.

Trivia - Perry's bar under the hotel was once the liquor store that was robbed by Scorpio in the Clint Eastwood film "Dirty Harry"

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business