“Lovely, but glad we had a discount code”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #81 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Found a great rate via their facebook page & so glad we did...

Pro: wonderful location, comfy bed with crisp linens, great shower pressure & a nice flat screen / Cons: smaller than expected room (fine but low frills & nowhere near five star) & no soaking tub, so be sure to ask if that's what you want

Overall, a lovely stay, especially for the price & will definitely return when in San Francisco. Especially with a discount code from twitter or facebook. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank turtledog

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Hotel Kabuki. The service was friendly and warm when we arrived to the hotel. We felt as if we stepped into a hotel in Japan. There was a beautiful japanese garden in the lobby and the rooms had rice paper screens and a japanese bath tub. The hotel is located next to Japantown which provided us good restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We got a good deal on a pre-paid room at the Hotel Kabuki and were very satisfied. We had a corner room on the 10th floor with great views of the city. The location was nice, it was an easy walk to Union Square, but far enough that it was much quieter. Lots of great Japanese restaurants in the area. If traveling with a car, don't bother with the valet parking at the hotel. The adjacent mall has underground parking that allows you to enter from the basement of hotel without even going outside.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Through an internet special, we got a "deluxe view king room" for $85/night, and for that price, our stay was amazing. Japantown is a quieter area of the city (though it does have a nice mall with well-priced Asian eats), but it is centrally located, so we found it easy to walk to the sections we wanted to explore. The hotel staff were very kind, and our room was elegantly decorated. Our only complaint was that the shower head was pretty low, so watch out if you're on the tall side! We ordered room service one morning, and the food was fine, but nothing compared to the places we ate out at other mornings. I would definitely stay there again if I could find a comparable deal.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I go to San Francisco fairly often for business and usually stay at the JW Marriott. Just for a change of pace, I thought I'd try the Hotel Kabuki because it advertised Japanese style rooms AND FREE INTERNET ACCESS. I also signed up for the Joie De Vivre program (their version of the points program) before booking. They have you fill out a form listing your preferences, including whether you'd like water, white wine, or red wine upon arrival. I don't drink, so I selected water. But when I arrived, I was told that I only had a choice of wines -- that the hotel was out of water! How can a hotel be out of bottled water?! So I asked if I could just have a Diet Coke, but the front desk said "no". I was told that if I wanted a Diet Coke or bottled water, that I could purchase it from the Honor Bar. So they promised water (can this be more simple?), claim to be out, then say that I have to buy it from the Bar. It gets worse. I booked the Japanese suite. The hotel advertises free internet access and internet access is a must for my business. Only there was no cable in the room and the wifi had very limited range. I spent an HOUR on the phone with various levels of tech support, all to no avail. They finally moved me to another room, where I finally had sporadic internet access. The Japanese theme is quaint, but the rooms are very outdated, bathroom tiles are chipped, even the top of the toilet was chipped. I'm 5'7", but the shower head was WAY too low, and yet the sink was so high that I had to stand on my toes to wash my face! The bathroom looked like it hadnt been updated since at least the 1980's. The only "cute" thing about it was the flip down scale (I thought it was a radiator). That must be from the 1950's. One of the tatami mats had a huge worn through area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Jim-Kabuki-GM, General Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2009

The hospitality you experienced was not indicative of our normal service experience. I am sorry that our team did not deliver. The Japanese suites are scheduled for renovation in 2010, and I hope that the upgrade will impress all. I also appreciate your feedback regarding internet access. I will address this and have corrected. Thank you for your constructive comments.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

When we first got into San Francisco, we booked "The Mosser" hotel. It was in primal location, but rooms were tiny...very tiny. It pretty much doesn't contain much else beside a double bed. My boyfriend and I each had a mid to full size luggage, and there was no room for us to lay down both luggages on the floor. Every morning getting dressed was a struggle. So we decided to look for somewhere else, and that's how we moved into Hotel Kabuki.

For $30 more for one night, you get ten times of comfort. The rooms are much much bigger. It can fit in a king size bed, a writing desk, a full size bathroom with separate shower and bath, and there is still ton of room to spare! Now we can finally lay down both luggages and still able to walk around.

It's only 10 minutes bus ride to Union Square. With the 3-day Muni passport, we don't have to worry about getting the exact change. Also the hotel is very close to a major road "Geary", so buses are frequent, we rarely have to wait for more than 5 minutes for a bus.

The King size bed with 400 thread count sheets was so comfortable, every night we have slept like babies since we got here. Bathroom has a nice decor, but the hot water for the shower takes a round 3 minutes to actually get hot - but that maybe it's just our room?

There are tons of restaurants around here - mostly Japanese food. It's in Japantown after all. A lot of cute shops nearby where you can get some Japanese arts and crafts. It's a quite neighborhood, definitely not as lively as Union Square, but why would you want to hear other people partying when you go to sleep?

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We had a wonderful time here. We stayed during the week, meaning prices were lower and we got a 4-night deal so it was even less. We had a room on the 16th floor and we could see the Golden Gate on a clear day, beautiful view. Parking is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the city, they have a garage next door with direct access to the hotel elevators at $16 for 24 hours. For the rest of the trip we took advantage of the MUNI system (google "MUNI 511" for planning which ones to take that day) which was pretty easy and had several stops near the hotel for ease - we went to Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Park, the Bridge, Union Square, the Port, Market Street, Fishermans Wharf, and Ghirardelli Square using MUNI. Theres also a Safeway nearby for a cheap dinner in your room. Lots of restaurants nearby as well (mostly Japanese of course). The fridge in the room is kinda small but does fit breakfast items to save a litle money. The shower was really cool, just keep your towel/clothes off the floor or they will be soaked. My one complaint is that we could not control our own room temperature, or at least we couldnt figure out how. We are warm sleepers and it seems the hotel has the system switched to "heat" after a certain hour, which was no good for us (it was also September, still mildly warm outside). So we slept with the sliding door cracked and window covers pulled passed it. This also meant a little more noise coming in - I put cotton in my ears. Also, you share a balcony with the room next to you, so be careful about that. The room itself is cozy, if a little tight. But we were out all day so who cares. The bed and pillows were wonderful, we both loved it. They are pet friendly and we had our cat with us and they did not charge us a pet-fee (they may for dogs). The only reason we would not stay here again would be to experience somewhere else, though this hotel is just outside of "downtown" and so was quieter, but still within easy reach of all the things you want to do. :-) Oh yah, free internet too. And they did discontinue room service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple