“Lovely but Worn”

Ranked #74 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lovely but Worn”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at the Kabuki during August in 2013. I found the hotel and the room a little worn--for instance the Japanese screen in my room had been damaged and then clearly repaired with tape. However; I found the most polite, hospitable staff ever. They were friendly, helpful, and made me want to stay there again. I was surprised to find the American breakfast $18. That seemed a tad bit expensive for bacon, eggs, and pancakes of Denny's quality. Even the continental breakfast was pricey--$16 for pastries and toast.

• Stayed August 2013
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us, Joe. We're happy to hear that our outgoing hospitality set the standard for you, and we apologize that some elements of your room fell short of the expectation. We'll certainly pass this along to our housekeeping and maintenance teams. We're continually upgrading our facilities and services to provide for an incomparable guest experience, and we hope that you'll return in the near future to share in our evolution. Many thanks again for your time and review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Irvine, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hotel kabuki is a great hotel when you are looking for convenience a d great service. The hotel upgraded us for our 1yr anniversary and also sent up champagne and fruits. The staff is always on top of things and very helpful with information. It's located in jtown so you are in walking distance to all the great Japanese restaurants and stores. Very safe area to walk around at night as well. We have stayed in the union square hotels but my wife and I agreed that this is where we will be staying now on when we visit sf. Looking forward to our next trip back to hotel kabuki.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and congratulations on your anniversary, Robert! It's an extreme pleasure to be able to host such special occasions, and we're glad that you selected Hotel Kabuki for yours. I will certainly pass your praises along to the team for their outgoing services, and we look forward to your return and to the opportunity of sharing more of our property and region with you. Thanks again for your stay and review!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Very helpful, friendly staff. Room was average sized and clean, excellent shower/bath room. Location is okay, could be more central to the city but the slightly lesser price than central city hotels covers this. Didn't use facilities as only there one night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share your experience with us. While your stay was a brief one, we're happy to hear that the hospitality of our outgoing team made it a memorable visit for you. We'd love to have you back at your next earliest convenience and to share even more of our facilities and region with you. There's much to enjoy, and we'd love to help create another first class stay. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to see more of you soon!
Cascais, Portugal
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We loved our stay at Hotel Kabuki. The location is perfect if you want to be in the city but away from the crowds on Union Square and Warf areas.
We booked to rooms and found the rate we paid was a very good value for the hotel. All the people we encountered were friendly and helpful. Rooms with very comfortable beds and baths with Japanese soaking tub although we thought the quality of the towels could be improved
We did not use any of the other services as we were out and about all day, but found the area had plenty of dinning choices and across the street there is a wonderful Coffee Shop (our first and last stop of the day).
I would rate the comfort, convenience and friendliness EXCELENT the only reason not to rate it as such is the hotel is leaning towards the time that a renovation would keep it perfect and we found the elevators were at times not sufficient at “rush hour”

We would recommend this hotel and will certainly be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvsundbeach
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Many thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share such kind praises with us. We're happy to hear that our location afforded you with connection and separation from the bustle of the city, and that our welcoming team helped to make your visit an exceptional one. With continual upgrades across our facility, we look forward to sharing our evolution with you, and we hope that you'll reach out to us again soon. Thanks again for your time and review!
Winters, California
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We picked Hotel Kabuki because it had a suite, and three of us were traveling (a couple and one other). The staff is excellent, the hotel is GORGEOUS, and the location is easy to get to by car. It's well out of the crazy cluster of traffic at Union Square. It was easy to get a cab, very comfortable, and the Japantown neighborhood looked amazing. We didn't have time to go there, so we're definitely going back.

Room Tip: Look at the website, talk to the staff. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share such kind words with us, Debra. It's a pleasure to host first time visitors to our property and to introduce them to the first class services of our world class property. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed our location's accessibility to the region, and we look forward to helping you explore more of it in your returning visits. Please be sure to reach out the next time you're heading our way; we'd love to host you again soon!
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Im not one to write a review about anything but this I had to. Ive only been to SF once before not use to the city. I stayed before at the Holiday Inn on Van Ness and it was great! unfortunatly thier prices went up and I was unable to stay there. My father in law being a patient at Sutter Pacific I need the shuttle bus service to get back and forth. The Kabuki provided the shuttle service also. Looking online it looked really nice fairly cheaper than the other hotel.. we choose Kabuki. After a long car ride from Reno nv bumper to bumper traffic also 30 weeks pregnant I was looking forward to my stay. as I arrived there was a festival going on right in front of the hotel which made it hard to get in the parking lot. not knowing where i was going I got lost anyways. on the verge of crying I made it. Vallet was very nice and helpful let me leave my car in front while i took a rest and helped bring my things to my room. The girl at the desk was nice and knew i was tired. My room was not anything i expected. Before i could really rest i had to move my car vallet isnt cheap so i parked my car under ground in some strange parking area. but ok it was cheaper. long story short my room sucked. It smelt old and dusty. beds were somewhat small but comfortable. Room was dirty.. and things were broken and dusty lamp shades were broke and the toliet area smelled of pee really bad. I couldnt warm the room up for my sick father in law because that was broke also. I had ripped towels and toliet paper halfway gone still on the roll. seeing this i was upset because being pregnant I would of liked a more cleaner and comfortable place to stay in. couldnt wait to leave. We wont stay here again I wasnt expecting luxury but a motel 6 is much better and provides cleaner rooms. And as I read the reviews already written the gentlmen writting back assuring better service and how sorry he is for the awful stay the people experiance He repeats the same excuses over and over and shows that he doesnt care and nothing changes. sorry :(

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank biscuitwoo
Glen Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Ran across this hotel on line since the fare was such a great deal. Turned out to be a steal! The room was clean, updated decor and modern baths including whirlpool tub. Located in heart of Japantown with delightful and knowledgeable service. Extraordinary number of japanese restaurants in walking distance. Also lots of tributes regarding the American-Japanese history.

Room Tip: Reserve in the 'newer' half of the hotel that's recently refinished. No difference in ra...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank redknight12
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Many thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's a pleasure to introduce first time visitors to our property, and we're glad to hear that we found a fan in you. There's much to experience in our property and region, and we hope that you'll return soon to experience more of them both. Thanks again for your time and review!