“Super convenient location, lovely hotel”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #80 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We picked Hotel Kabuki because it had a suite, and three of us were traveling (a couple and one other). The staff is excellent, the hotel is GORGEOUS, and the location is easy to get to by car. It's well out of the crazy cluster of traffic at Union Square. It was easy to get a cab, very comfortable, and the Japantown neighborhood looked amazing. We didn't have time to go there, so we're definitely going back.

Room Tip: Look at the website, talk to the staff. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share such kind words with us, Debra. It's a pleasure to host first time visitors to our property and to introduce them to the first class services of our world class property. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed our location's accessibility to the region, and we look forward to helping you explore more of it in your returning visits. Please be sure to reach out the next time you're heading our way; we'd love to host you again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Im not one to write a review about anything but this I had to. Ive only been to SF once before not use to the city. I stayed before at the Holiday Inn on Van Ness and it was great! unfortunatly thier prices went up and I was unable to stay there. My father in law being a patient at Sutter Pacific I need the shuttle bus service to get back and forth. The Kabuki provided the shuttle service also. Looking online it looked really nice fairly cheaper than the other hotel.. we choose Kabuki. After a long car ride from Reno nv bumper to bumper traffic also 30 weeks pregnant I was looking forward to my stay. as I arrived there was a festival going on right in front of the hotel which made it hard to get in the parking lot. not knowing where i was going I got lost anyways. on the verge of crying I made it. Vallet was very nice and helpful let me leave my car in front while i took a rest and helped bring my things to my room. The girl at the desk was nice and knew i was tired. My room was not anything i expected. Before i could really rest i had to move my car vallet isnt cheap so i parked my car under ground in some strange parking area. but ok it was cheaper. long story short my room sucked. It smelt old and dusty. beds were somewhat small but comfortable. Room was dirty.. and things were broken and dusty lamp shades were broke and the toliet area smelled of pee really bad. I couldnt warm the room up for my sick father in law because that was broke also. I had ripped towels and toliet paper halfway gone still on the roll. seeing this i was upset because being pregnant I would of liked a more cleaner and comfortable place to stay in. couldnt wait to leave. We wont stay here again I wasnt expecting luxury but a motel 6 is much better and provides cleaner rooms. And as I read the reviews already written the gentlmen writting back assuring better service and how sorry he is for the awful stay the people experiance He repeats the same excuses over and over and shows that he doesnt care and nothing changes. sorry :(

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank biscuitwoo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Ran across this hotel on line since the fare was such a great deal. Turned out to be a steal! The room was clean, updated decor and modern baths including whirlpool tub. Located in heart of Japantown with delightful and knowledgeable service. Extraordinary number of japanese restaurants in walking distance. Also lots of tributes regarding the American-Japanese history.

Room Tip: Reserve in the 'newer' half of the hotel that's recently refinished. No difference in ra...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank redknight12
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Many thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's a pleasure to introduce first time visitors to our property, and we're glad to hear that we found a fan in you. There's much to experience in our property and region, and we hope that you'll return soon to experience more of them both. Thanks again for your time and review!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed while attending the annual JPOP Summit Festival and had such a busy day walking around and enjoying the event I was incredibly tired when I came back to the room but a nice soak in the Japanese style tub and a night of sleep on the comfortable bed and I was refreshed again.

This was my second stay here and each time it was fantastic. Great service at the desk, clean comfortable rooms and a nice view from my window. The price may seem high but that is the going rate in San Francisco for a hotle like this and they do pamper you.

Japantown is full of places to eat and shop and the area is very safe. There is parking in the garage with an elevator to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank K_Chan40

Thanks for being a loyal guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's a pleasure to host returning visitors like yourself, and we're happy to hear that you continue to enjoy the many amenities and services of our one of a kind property. We look forward to your return and to sharing more of them both with you. Thanks again for your time and review; we hope to see more of you soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked the Kabuki Hotel for one week because my daughter was having brain surgery to remove a tumor. We spent the days at the hospital, but could always look forward to coming back to our room at the hotel. The restaurant was great, the people at the desk and and the bellmen were always polite and very kind and accommodating. When my daughter had to stay in hospital for an extra day, it was not a problem to book an extra night in the same two rooms in which we had become so comfortable. We were even offered a room for the disabled which my daughter happily didn't need. Although we hope that we will never need to return to SF for the same reason, we would gladly book the Kabuki Hotel again. Thank you for your kindness.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank afaigin
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Our gracious thanks for choosing Hotel Kabuki during this difficult time for your family. Words can't capture how you must have been feeling, and we're so glad to have been able to make your stay a relaxing and comfortable one in this time of need. We hope all is going well for your daughter and family, and we'll certainly be ready to host you for brighter days and times of celebration. Please give her our best, and reach out whenever you might require our services again. Many thanks for your thoughts; you will continue to be in ours.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

What a lovely, lovely location!! We had a uniformly beautiful and warm experience from my first phone/online contact until we drove away this morning. The valet fellows were unfailingly kind, polite and helpful. The $40/night valet charge was absolutely worth it. One can park in the Japantown covered Parking for $23 per day, but I preferred having our car under the valets' watchful eye. We arrived late and wanted sushi---the front desk directed us to a very close-by restaurant that was also very good. The next morning, I headed to the Walt Disney Family Museum and received sterling travel advice. Our 15th floor corner king room was fabulous---clean, calming, lovely mattress. The soaking tub was extremely relaxing, especially with the bath crystals. The welcome amenity was charming, the Japanese breakfast bento box plentiful...I cannot say enough good about this place!! This was my second trip to the area, and I must say I'll stay here from now on!!! Thanks, Hotel Kabuki, for a restful trip!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank mcgonagallmom
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share such kind words with us. It's an immense pleasure to welcome first time guests to Hotel Kabuki, and I'm happy to hear that our property and services exceeded the mark. There's much of our it and our region to experience and explore, and we look forward to your return and the opportunity of sharing them both with you again!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our first visit to San Francisco. My husband and I chose the Hotel Kabuki over other hotels, because we were really scared off by some of the reviews regarding the hotels in the same price range in the tourist areas. Beyond the obvious of a clean hotel and safe area, we also wanted someplace quiet, when we read that the tourist area hotels were not quiet due to street noise. We needed a hotel that would be accessible by public transportation because we were not renting a car and somewhere that had a lot of restaurants that were within walking distance of the hotel. We wanted a place that was a nice, easy place to walk around-we almost booked a place in Nob Hill, but I am so glad that we didn't. The hills there are crazy steep! The area around the Kabuki was very manageable.

We were very pleased that the Hotel Kabuki met most of our needs. The room was clean and quiet. The beds were comfortable and the room was large. We had a great view from the balcony, which was a corner unit on a top floor. The mini fridge in the room was a major plus and so was the in room safe. The bathrooms are also a plus, providing a lot of space for your toiletries. The shower and bathtub are separated from the toilet area, with a door to the toilet on the opposite side. A large vanity, in the middle, separates the 2 areas of the bathroom. The air conditioning worked well and there was plenty of hot water. The water pressure was very good too. I did feel the room was a bit dated as others have stated, but we got a very good deal on the hotel, which more that made up for this slight weakness. It did not take away at all from our positive feeling about the place.

My main complaint about the hotel was the level of service from the desk staff. I approached staff on 3 occasions regarding directions to or information about places nearby as well as in the tourist areas and they were not satisfactorily knowledgeable. One time I asked about buying the bus pass at the closest location to the hotel and the guy sent us on a goose chase in totally the wrong direction, following the map he gave us. It would have been more helpful if he had taken the time to give us the exact address as well. We ended up finding it on our own by accident..by the way it is in the Walgreens a few blocks, turning right off of Post, Geary or Sutter at Bush and Fillmore. The staff are pleasant and look professional, but they do need to be better informed regarding the area.

We were only steps away from the bus stop. It is about a 15-30 minute pleasant ride to the tourist areas, depending on how quickly you catch a bus. If you are a good walker, you could probably get there in 20-30 minutes. It would have been nice if the hotel had been closer to the tourist area, but as I mentioned before there are good reasons why the Hotel Kabuki is a better area to stay in.

There are lots of restaurants in the Kabuki area, however many of them that are closest to the hotel are Japanese and there are not a lot of other choices. The restaurant in the hotel, where we ate the first night, was fine, but nothing special. I had fish and chips which were just passable because I have had great fish and chips in most restaurants. My husband had one of their burgers, which sounded like a better choice than mine. The best you can say is that it was conveniently located, right off the lobby of the hotel. If you want a better choice of restaurants, head for Fillmore St. but we were not warned till we got there that if you turn left, the area becomes seedy very quickly. If you go to the right, Fillmore St. is a great area to walk in, very safe, a lot of stores and restaurants. My favorite place to eat was in Woodhouse Fish Co. which was good value for a seafood restaurant. The food was delicious. We also had salad and pizza at Dino's for lunch, which were okay but not superb.

All in all I would recommend the Hotel Kabuki. For the most part we had a good trip and we were certainly satisfied. I also want to commend the management for responding to most of the reviews here, positive and negative. It is refreshing to see a hotel show that level of interest in their clients' feedback.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ghfan
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for being a first time guest of Hotel Kabuki and for taking the opportunity to respond to your stay with such thoughtful detail. We're thrilled that you took a chance to experience our hotel, and that in spite of its location from your primary points of interest, you were able to utilize the transit options available to us. As you noted, these small details help us to become a great escape for our guests, while also enabling them to be in the heart of so many regional attractions. I have heard your feedback regarding our team's knowledge of the area, as well as their ability to clearly and concisely express this to inquiring guests, and we will certainly look into methods for better sharing the expertise of our core. We'd like to thank you again for your stay, and we hope that you'll reach out the next time you're craving a San Francisco getaway!