“Another nice Joie de Vivre property”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #74 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
philadelphia
“Another nice Joie de Vivre property”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We are big Hotel Tomo fans. Decided to try out this sister property for a one night stay before leaving the city. It is only 2 blocks from Hotel Tomo and sits right on the Japantown mall. There is a street entrance and an entrance from the mall. This property had a similar rate as Hotel Tomo, I think the rates vary and sometimes it is more expensive. Our room was slightly smaller than our Hotel Tomo room, but had a nicer view. The bedding and bath towel were very nice quaility. The room (double queen) was very nicely decorated, it felt new. The bathroom had a separate soaking tub and shower and a separate room for the toilet. We did not try out any other hotel amenities as we only stayed one night. The lobby is tres chic and there is a doorman who can bring bags up to your room or call you a cab (Hotel Tomo does not have a doorman). Although the desk staff was pretty brief with us, I heard them give extensive help and tips to two young brits. One oddity is that our credit card was overcharged $50, when I called to ask about it, they said they always do this in case of incidental charges, and if there are none, the $50 will be refunded. Neither Hotel Tomo nor any other hotel I have ever stayed at does this, I think it is very odd. I think management should reconsider this policy. I think it is a hassle that I now have to go back and check to see if the $$ was refunded.

Note: there is a great $1 per minute Japanese massage place just outside the Kabuki hotel mall entrance named Sain Saine. I had a wonderful massage here (table massage) with a young male masseuse, (Hide) highly recommend. Kabuki has their own spa, which I did not get a chance to try.

1 Thank beezneez123
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your loyalty to the Joie de Vivre collection of hotels. We hope that you'll continue to choose us upon future visits to San Francisco. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Caernarfon, Wales
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Nice boutique hotel with traditional Japanese decor. Lovely quiet neighbourhood- Little Osaka- with plenty of choice of Japanese restaurants to eat. If you're young and healthy then the walking distance to Union Square is no problem but otherwise it is not the most convenient location. It was the perfect base for our visit to San Fracisco.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a great review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize if our location was not to your liking. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Kabuki!
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We loved this hotel (first time!). Sandy took my reservation over the phone as I was having website difficulties. She was amazingly kind and accommodating in every aspect. A big smile at the front desk was what I received when I arrived. Again, very friendly and accommodating in every aspect (restaurant recommendation, directions, etc.). The room was over the top (literally) and very comfortable. The bartender, Bill, was engaging, funny, and again, very accommodating. Need I say more. I am looking forward to coming back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Bill will certainly be recognized for his efforts in assisting you. Please join us again at the O Izakaya Restaurant and Lounge! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had a great view from my corner room on the 9th floor. During a previous stay, our room had a cedar-lined sauna. Seriously, can you beat that? The Kabuki hotel is a good walk or short cab ride away from major tourist attractions but the price is worth it. It's more of a nice boutique hotel than a luxury hotel. Very comfortable beds, good sized rooms, very friendly and helpful staff. I'll return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you truly took advantage of the conveniences and proximity of the hotel in the city. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to earning a full five stars from you next time!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Spent two night here. The location is not really within walking distance of your major tourist stuff, but the price for quality can't be beat. Plus, you can always get a cab. When I arrived it turned out I had booked the wrong night, but the desk staff were more than happy to correct my error and get me settled.

The room itself was lovely, with painted sliding panels, a large clean bathroom, and a great view of the fog rolling in. I appreciate that they included some bath salts to enjoy with the fancy Japanese tub. I didn't understand the little mini sink next to the tub. I am familiar with the Japanese style of bathing, but there was no stool or handheld. Weird. The bed was comfy, the sheets smelled fresh, and there was little street or hallway noise. Unfortunately the loud rattling a/c unit destroyed the peace. It never got the room particularly cool either. I opened the patio door for some air, but because all the patios are shared with the room next to you, I did not feel comfortable leaving it open while I slept. Had I stayed longer, I would have requested another room. The management did respond with a personal email when I mentioned it in the little survey they send out, which I thought was nice. Next time I am in SF, I will probably give them another shot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback, and we are pleased that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Visalia, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Another great weekend at the Kabuki! We enjoy the spacious corner king rooms, such a nice view of the city, and the staff is always upbeat and very helpful. Parking in the Japantown mall is very easy and safe as well as being inexpensive, which for SF is a huge plus. $20 per day, no in and out, and the hotel offers valet as first come, first serve. Wi-fi is complimentary throughout the hotel, another plus. At most hotels they charge $15 per day. You can catch the Muni right outside the hotel and is an easy trip in to Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, or the Academy of Sciences. Japantown mall has lots of fun shops and restaurants, we love Suzu Noodle and the crepe place, and Daiso dollar store always is fun to explore. In the hotel O Izakaiya has great food and the bartender is a blast. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The corner kings are great, beautiful screens and views of the city. We have not stayed in the othe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We will certainly share your compliments with the team at the O Izakaya Restaurant and Lounge. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Kabuki!
Ukiah, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room could use a little TLC but the decor was fun, the bed quite comfortable, the bathroom great and the views and location for anyone wanting to take advantage of Japan town has to offer (also a short bus ride to downtown) just wonderful. The corner suites are the best with views 180 and above the 8th floor at least, privacy even with the screens open.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cherryaught
Thank you for a great review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll continue to choose us upon future visits to the Japan Town area. We look forward to your return soon!