“Hotel Kabuki: Our Wedding Block”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #74 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Hotel Kabuki: Our Wedding Block”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We are San Francisco locals and were getting married in the Presidio and needed a hotel block for many of our out of town guests (and our local guests who wanted to party it up at the wedding!). Earlier this year I called and emailed ALL OVER TOWN to try to find a hotel that wouldn't charge our guests a fortune to stay at our hotel. A 'wedding block' at least implies some sort of deal. Also, most of our guests would think that most SF prices were exorbitant no matter what anyway.

Hotel Kabuki gave us a great deal, it is in the quirky Japantown which is safe and quiet but only a couple blocks away from fun and vibrant Filmore Street and is totally centrally located to all of the exciting touristy things our guests might want to do so I was sold.

We probably had over 20 guests staying there over the course of the weekend and everyone raved about the hotel and how accommodating and friendly they were to them and how nice, clean and large for San Francisco the rooms were.

I also booked a suite for the wedding weekend. It was clean, really large (even including a sauna in it!), the bed was super comfy, and it was so nice and quiet that I was actually able to get some sleep.

They offer on site parking (both valet and self) and relatively decent prices for San Francisco and we also tried the in room dining which was yummy too (hamburger and fries). We would for sure go back for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Leah H
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Leah H.,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so happy that Hotel Kabuki was able to serve you and your guests during your wedding. We are thrilled that everyone found our team accommodating and friendly. We wish you the best and hope to see you soon. Please know that we are continually at your service.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Stockton, California, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Wonderful comfortable rooms, great views and surrounded by a Japanese food/shops mall...close to everything....super comfortable thick like goosedown mattresses and pillows, comfort robes and slippers, great service; beautiful Japanese gardens, just a beautiful hotel

Room Tip: Ask for the double room with view and a Japanese foot sauna
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Marlene G,

Thank you so much for the excellent review. It is heart-warming to read about your experience. It seems that you had the quintessential experience that is the hallmark of Hotel Kabuki. We hope to see you again and are at your service until then.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. I was apprehensive because I knew Japantown wasn't centrally located to the SF "action." But we were renting a car, and I would rather spend the money on a place for ME to sleep than my car. Union Square wanted $40 a night to park. It's only $20 in the Japan Center garage.

But onto the hotel. It was aesthetically very pleasing. My husband and I are both Japanophiles, so we appreciated the decor and ambiance. The Japanese-style bathroom is a nice touch once you get accustomed to the idea the whole room is your shower. Plenty of dining and shopping in the Japan Center mall and convenient bus access to the more popular destination of SF. We drove and parked and only encountered difficultly in areas like North Beach.

We found the bed very comfy and the ipod charger/clock radio convenient. There was plenty of room for ourselves and luggage. The bartender in the bar was awesome. Overall, I thought it was a great launching pad for anyone who loves Japan and San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LisaB1138,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Hotel Kabuki thrives on creating authentic and unique experiences such as yours. I am so happy to read that you were able to enjoy the Japanese-style bathrooms and that the location was able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return. Until then, I am at your service.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my 7 year old Golden retriever. The hotel itself is nice with good decor. We had a great deal from booking.com
After we checked out they charged a whopping $250 saying that there was urine on the floor.
I know for a fact that there was no urine, but the part of the floor was wet where left my dog's water bowl. My dog has never peed inside since he was a puppy and I have taken him to many pet friendly hotels before.
So those of you thinking about taking your pet, be aware!!!
They act like they are pet friendly, but they are not!!! They will just charge you after you leave.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jsohn001
Dear Jsohn001,

Thank you so much for your review, and I apologize for any inconvenience. It seems, from your review ratings, that you enjoyed the majority of your stay at Hotel Kabuki until the end. We do our utmost to be an extremely pet-friendly hotel and welcome all pets. After pets leave, we have a duty to thoroughly service each room for the next guest. Should you care to discuss your feedback, please do not hesitate to call me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great hotel in a great location for a different take on SF.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were spacious and unique.

It's right next to Japantown Peace Plaza which seems to have regular events, and it's beside the jazz district so plenty of places nearby for live music.

And the surprising high point is that it's just a short walk from trendy Fillmore and Union Streets.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear VR747,

I was so thrilled to read your review. It is great to read that the Hotel Kabuki staff was helpful, the rooms were to your liking, and the location exceeded you expectations. We are so happy when a guest has such a wonderful stay. Please let me know if I may be of any future service.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here when I had to come into SFO for a last minute trip. Hotel Kabuki was 1/2 the price of what I had normally spent on a SFO hotel and they had a room so I gave them a try. I really liked it and plan on staying here again the next time im in town. Great staff, nice lobby and they have a beautiful traditional Japanese Garden. The rooms are slightly shabby, but it's blocks away from the Fillmore section of town with great music, restaurants (including SPQR) and lots of little shops. Very NYC SoHo like. But like I said, it's slightly shabby – not dirty, just not 5 star. If you want luxury, spa, tourist focused, etc.. then you should stay at an expensive hotel in Union Square.

Room Tip: ask for a room higher up. you'll have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Jon A,

Thank you so much for your candid review. I am pleased that you found Hotel Kabuki's staff to be great; we strive to provide exceptional service at every turn. I am so sorry the room did not meet your standards. Before you return, please call me, and I will do my best to find you a room that exceeds your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were really excited to stay here on a recent trip, but were disappointed with the room. We booked this room using a points program, and when we checked in were told that we were "upgraded" to the traditional Japanese suite. I was really excited by this, as the exterior and lobby were beautiful and I figured the room would be as well.

When we got into our room, we were excited - the sleeping area is partitioned off with screened doors, and it had beautiful lighting. When we turned on the lights, however, and opened the doors - it revealed a room that hadn't been kept up very well. I felt like we were put in the room because we booked it with points and therefore they didn't want to waste a nice room on us. And, my points were equivalent to almost $250, so it wasn't like I pricelined it for $20 or something. I assumed we wouldn't be getting a premium room, but I did expect it to be the standard quality of the hotel overall.

The carpeting had stains in areas, the screened wall had a hole in it, our comforter on the floor bed had a rip in it and was clearly pretty old otherwise, the robe in the closet looked dingy (although I'm sure it was actually clean, just worn), and the bathroom also looked worn (rust around shower head and faucets, and the windows were very breezy and let a lot of noise in. All in all, the room felt like a 2-star property, not a 4-star.

That said, I feel like maybe it was this suite, because the pictures on the website make the other rooms look much nicer. And again, once you get into the lobby it seems like an entirely different hotel. The grounds were kept impeccably, and the location is amazing. I loved Japantown and wished we had more time to stay there.

The staff were very nice, and had we stayed there longer I probably would have asked for a different room, but we were in and out overnight (leaving at 3am), so I figured it didn't matter.

Room Tip: Don't go with the traditional japanese suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear annecarlisle,

I am so disheartened by your review. Our Japanese suites are supposed to offer a serene representation of Eastern hospitality. It seems we failed, and I sincerely apologize. I am happy that you found Hotel Kabuki's team to be helpful and that you enjoyed the public areas. I hope we will have a chance to regain your confidence. Please call me to discuss all of your feedback so we can improve our standards.