“Charging for your pet!!!!”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #73 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Charging for your pet!!!!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my 7 year old Golden retriever. The hotel itself is nice with good decor. We had a great deal from booking.com
After we checked out they charged a whopping $250 saying that there was urine on the floor.
I know for a fact that there was no urine, but the part of the floor was wet where left my dog's water bowl. My dog has never peed inside since he was a puppy and I have taken him to many pet friendly hotels before.
So those of you thinking about taking your pet, be aware!!!
They act like they are pet friendly, but they are not!!! They will just charge you after you leave.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jsohn001
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Jsohn001,

Thank you so much for your review, and I apologize for any inconvenience. It seems, from your review ratings, that you enjoyed the majority of your stay at Hotel Kabuki until the end. We do our utmost to be an extremely pet-friendly hotel and welcome all pets. After pets leave, we have a duty to thoroughly service each room for the next guest. Should you care to discuss your feedback, please do not hesitate to call me.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great hotel in a great location for a different take on SF.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were spacious and unique.

It's right next to Japantown Peace Plaza which seems to have regular events, and it's beside the jazz district so plenty of places nearby for live music.

And the surprising high point is that it's just a short walk from trendy Fillmore and Union Streets.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear VR747,

I was so thrilled to read your review. It is great to read that the Hotel Kabuki staff was helpful, the rooms were to your liking, and the location exceeded you expectations. We are so happy when a guest has such a wonderful stay. Please let me know if I may be of any future service.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here when I had to come into SFO for a last minute trip. Hotel Kabuki was 1/2 the price of what I had normally spent on a SFO hotel and they had a room so I gave them a try. I really liked it and plan on staying here again the next time im in town. Great staff, nice lobby and they have a beautiful traditional Japanese Garden. The rooms are slightly shabby, but it's blocks away from the Fillmore section of town with great music, restaurants (including SPQR) and lots of little shops. Very NYC SoHo like. But like I said, it's slightly shabby – not dirty, just not 5 star. If you want luxury, spa, tourist focused, etc.. then you should stay at an expensive hotel in Union Square.

Room Tip: ask for a room higher up. you'll have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Jon A,

Thank you so much for your candid review. I am pleased that you found Hotel Kabuki's staff to be great; we strive to provide exceptional service at every turn. I am so sorry the room did not meet your standards. Before you return, please call me, and I will do my best to find you a room that exceeds your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were really excited to stay here on a recent trip, but were disappointed with the room. We booked this room using a points program, and when we checked in were told that we were "upgraded" to the traditional Japanese suite. I was really excited by this, as the exterior and lobby were beautiful and I figured the room would be as well.

When we got into our room, we were excited - the sleeping area is partitioned off with screened doors, and it had beautiful lighting. When we turned on the lights, however, and opened the doors - it revealed a room that hadn't been kept up very well. I felt like we were put in the room because we booked it with points and therefore they didn't want to waste a nice room on us. And, my points were equivalent to almost $250, so it wasn't like I pricelined it for $20 or something. I assumed we wouldn't be getting a premium room, but I did expect it to be the standard quality of the hotel overall.

The carpeting had stains in areas, the screened wall had a hole in it, our comforter on the floor bed had a rip in it and was clearly pretty old otherwise, the robe in the closet looked dingy (although I'm sure it was actually clean, just worn), and the bathroom also looked worn (rust around shower head and faucets, and the windows were very breezy and let a lot of noise in. All in all, the room felt like a 2-star property, not a 4-star.

That said, I feel like maybe it was this suite, because the pictures on the website make the other rooms look much nicer. And again, once you get into the lobby it seems like an entirely different hotel. The grounds were kept impeccably, and the location is amazing. I loved Japantown and wished we had more time to stay there.

The staff were very nice, and had we stayed there longer I probably would have asked for a different room, but we were in and out overnight (leaving at 3am), so I figured it didn't matter.

Room Tip: Don't go with the traditional japanese suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear annecarlisle,

I am so disheartened by your review. Our Japanese suites are supposed to offer a serene representation of Eastern hospitality. It seems we failed, and I sincerely apologize. I am happy that you found Hotel Kabuki's team to be helpful and that you enjoyed the public areas. I hope we will have a chance to regain your confidence. Please call me to discuss all of your feedback so we can improve our standards.

UK
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Kabuki for five nights to celebrate our honeymoon. On arrival, we were extremely tired after a 10-hour flight, and the staff were fantastic in making us feel at ease and comfortable. The combination of Japanese service and Californian hospitality was really incredible, and we absolutely loved being right on the doorstep to the Japan Center.

Prior to arrival, the hotel kindly upgraded us to a corner room free of charge due to the special occasion. We loved the big windows and slept soundly each night. One one occasion we had a problem with noise from guests in the next room which was quickly and subtly resolved by the hotel staff.

We also really enjoyed the food and bar service - the bartender was extremely friendly, and when we realised the bar would be closed on the last two nights of our stay, we were pretty disappointed!

The one slight complaint I have (and it is very small) is that we were disturbed by the cleaners despite the 'Do not disturb' sign. I also read that other guests were disturbed in the same way, so I assume this is normal for the hotel. Luckily we were already awake when they knocked, but I think it would be better for the maid to respect the sign, just in case guests are jet-lagged and sleeping.

On the whole, I'd definitely stay at the Kabuki again. The location is perfect for bars and restaurants just a few blocks away, without being right in the thick of the action. We really liked having a quiet, peaceful spot to retreat to after our busy days in San Francisco. (Best wishes to the barman Bill who made our stay really fun and enjoyable!)

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, ask for a room on a higher floor. We weren't disturbed by traf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear science_299,

Congratulations! We are so happy we were able to be a part of your honeymoon. I am delighted to read about your stay and that the service made you feel at ease and comfortable. I will pass your accolades to our entire team. In regards, to the disturbance by our housekeeping team, I apologize. I have shared your feedback, and it will improve us. We are thrilled you were able to have such a great experience at Hotel Kabuki. Please know that I am always at your service. See you soon!

san francisco
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I'm currently on my first night of two at the kabuki, we've stayed here numerous times. Though we usually get the sauna sweet- but this time we opted for the standard king. It's on the fifth floor- and I like to view but not so much every noise the neighbor makes. I can hear the curtain draw on their room... I can hear low conversations! (which make me wonder about us )! But I can hear the little utterances of them not just normal speaking! Not private at all... I mean we are on our anniversary night out- if we were to get loud....
Anyway- this is not the only issue- there were problems with bookin the place and once I got the "best" deal we forget we have to pay $40 to park and etc and etc..
I have to say the location is wonderful, the price isn't too bad, and the sauna suites with your own Japanese style soaking tub is the way to go here- but pay the extra otherwise you'll fet sent to the 5th floor thinking your getting special
treatment and really your just going further away from all the good stuff.

• Stayed September 2012
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear nutbass,

I am truly sorry for all your inconveniences, and I wish that we had met during your stay. The Hotel Kabuki wants every guest to having an amazing experience; we should have done our best for your anniversary. Please contact me to discuss how we could have been better. Your feedback will be indispensible.

Cobb, California
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Wonderful ,,relaxing.............Comfortable and clean................................................
The soaking tub was great! ...............................Truly wonderful to relax and read a nice book ............... .................................... Wish I could have spent more time there!.........................

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Roberta A.,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to read about your amazing experience at the Hotel Kabuki. We hope you have a chance to return soon. In the interim, please know that I am at your service.