“Basic Accommodations - Be Ready To Climb Stairs”
Review of Sleep Over Sauce

Sleep Over Sauce
Ranked #19 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Sonoma County
“Basic Accommodations - Be Ready To Climb Stairs”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you want to save $125+ per night vs other decent hotels in SF, this is the place. It is clean, neat, small rooms, redone bathroom, but know there are relatively steep stairs to the rooms, if that would be a problem. When we arrived we called a phone number on the front door and quickly a guy, who looked like a chef or kitchen worker, came out of the restaurant on the first floor and "booked" us in, giving us the combination to the front door and taking us to our room. He was very pleasant and helped with our luggage and would not take a ti.

My wife, who has traveled extensively in Europe, says it reminded her very much of her experience in Europe, if that helps give you the flavor. I would not say there is anything wrong with this place, just that I have reached the point in my life where I don't want to climb lots of stairs, like a little more upscale and would prefer onsite parking. If that does not bother you and you want to save money, this is a good basic place. Feels like a B & B, but near the Tenderloin district of the city. Lots of restaurants nearby and the Sauce, which is on the first floor looked and smelled good, but we did not get a chance to dine there.

There was some street noise, particularly since we had to leave the window open because of the heat and lack of air conditioning but hey, it's the City. It would have been nice to have screens on all windows, so they could have been open without letting in flies. Yep, flies in San Francisco, who knew?

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not front Gough Street and get one with a bathroom. If you have trouble wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Figoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
The Hague, Netherlands
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I booked a room for two weeks so I could explore the city. I was given a room, the "Castro"-room, on the 2nd floor on the Gough St side. Although Gough can be a busy street, the street noise can easily be kept out when shutting the double glazed windows. The shower/bath was perfect, and so was the king bed. I also liked the comfy chairs. The size of the room was more than adequate for one person. Also highly appreciated was the breakfast, always available, with a coffee machine to make fresh coffee.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were staying for a week and wanted somewhere central and reasonably priced, after some research this fitted the bill. We were going to arrive about 4 hours prior to check in time, I emailed and let them know. On our arrival we let ourselves in with the code that had been emailed to us, they locked our bags up and we went for a wee look around the area.

We ended up doing a bit of shopping and got a little lost on our way back and ended up in Tenderloin, which I have to say isn't that nice. However, no matter where you stay this can easily happen as Tenderloin is bang in the middle of everything and unless you stick to the muni or taxis it can be easy to stray.

Hayes valley is a great wee place at night its bustling with a young crowd...much too trendy for us but we loved it!

The room we had was the king with balcony, the room was a decent size with a massive bed, it was in my opinion tastefully decorated, clean and had great housekeeping. One night I got mascara on my pillow and when we returned the next day it had been changed, that's what I call good service.

They have glass room where you can access a printer for boarding passes etc.

The great room is nice, I think this gets use depending on the guests staying there at the time we only used it for breakfast.

Breakfast was a quick in and out but this suited us and most mornings we grabbed a banana and walked to the muni eating it!!

The guys were always there to help with any questions we had and never let us down with information.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and if staying in this wonderful city again I would return.

Only complaint I had was the hairdryer...it wasn't made for thick hair that takes ages to dry!!

PS. Try Sauce restaurant, amazing food at reasonable prices...try the bowl of bacon cooked in mole syrup...yummy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lippylinda
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed October 1, 2013

When looking for a place at San Francisco, I was looking for something not expensive and well located for business. After seeing the rates on typical international class hotels, I was scared and never thought I would find a place that nice as Sleep Over Sauce.

Clean, warm and not noisy complemented by a very good restaurant service. Also, the helpul and kind attention by the guys in the place, made my stay very easy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bmaguirre
Bishopsteignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

When I looked at "Sleep Over Sauce", I thought it seemed rather nondescript. However, this well-located hotel contained discreet delights. The room was comfortable and spacious, beds were generous. There was a large characterful room where we could organise our own breakfast and, though coffee and pleasant food were provided, the room - and indeed the hotel - seemed strangely silent. It was difficult to tell whether the other guests had left early, had yet to appear or whether they did not exist, we could not say. Like all US hotels, the prices are high and boosted by high taxation so what was quoted was well short of what we actually paid.
That said, I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Williams348
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Another review stated that Sleep over Sauce was like staying in your quirky friend's apartment ... And that describes it well! The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The common room was a great way to meet interesting people at breakfast. I would choose my room carefully - we were fortunate with our rooms (we stayed here twice) but there is at least one room that has the bathroom across the hall and another that opens off the common room which could be noisy if a rowdy group was gathered there. You also need to be aware that is has the feel of a European inn - long stairway/no elevator. We loved staying in Hayes Valley and frequented Ritual Coffee and Smitten Ice Cream, as we'll as the original Blue Bottle Coffee.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KarenZ-midwest
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you want to pay double for a boring, sterile hotel room without any character, there are plenty of hotels to choose from in SF, but if you want a hip, urban guest house at a great price with character and a staff that is friendly and cares, then book a room here!
My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and to see the Phish shows this past weekend, and it exceeded our expectations. A great find in a great neighborhood, that's for sure.
I loved that they cared about the environment with their bamboo towels and sheets and their choice of cruelty-free shampoo and shower gel (Bring your own conditioner, though). The bathroom had recently been remodeled, so that was nice. Very lovely.
The restaurant downstairs was fantastic and everyone was so friendly! I strongly suggest the vegetable strudel. My husband loved the ham mac 'n' cheese.
I loved the fact that there was breakfast in the common room 24 hours a day: cereal, milk, juice, coffee, bagels, fruit, and toast. We could sleep in and still eat breakfast!
Great San Francisco theme and lovely pictures on the walls.
Loved the common room.
Not only were the staff great, but the other people staying in the hotel were all very friendly and cool, too.
Some people might have issue with the size of the room (We stayed in the Hayes Valley room--one of the Queen rooms) and/or the noise outside. We did not have any issues with this. San Francisco is a city and these are what you get in a city. Cities have noise and rooms are not as big in the city. I had plenty of room and the noise didn't bother me. In fact, I would say it was pretty quiet at night. Others reviews I have read here complained about the lack of front desk presence. My husband and I are pretty self reliant, so I didn't mind this. When we called their help number, they were always there and ready to help. And you know, they were all just cool people.
If you are really into luxury and big rooms with mini bars and pools and what not, this hotel might not be your thing. But this hotel is definitely our thing! I would say perfect for vacationing couples and groups of friends.

We LOVED staying at Sleep Over Sauce. We will not be staying anywhere else when we come to SF from now on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple