“Charming, friendly place in Hayes Valley”
Review of Sleep Over Sauce

Sleep Over Sauce
Ranked #19 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Very clean, great beds and linens. I stayed in two rooms, one with a bathroom across the hall. I thought I might not like the smaller room with bath across the hall, but it was fine. My stay was so enjoyable and I loved the old-fashioned ambiance. I got my key from the bartender and he carried my bags upstairs. The staff and owners are all friendly and the service is excellent. Guests can use the computer in the business office and wireless internet is included. You can hear sounds from the hallway but rather than finding this annoying I found it charming. It's kind of like an old rooming house in a really good way. The building is secure and guests are provided with a key and a code to get in. The restaurant and bar downstairs is excellent; great reviews. There are several seating areas in the large great room which has a variety of games and an all day breakfast bar. Hayes Valley is a wonderful neighborhood; lots of great restaurants and fabulous shopping. Access to transportation is easy and there is lots to see within easy walking distance. The bathrooms are dated but spotless, and the price is right. Because of the location, cleanliness, comfortable beds, friendliness and charm, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Sleep Over Sauce is a functional offering, without perhaps ascending into the frills that you might expect from a more expensive hotel.

The room was perfectly well proportioned, with an additional bathroom. If you have a room at the front, then you may find it a tad noisy but fine with earplugs.

The place is well positioned for accessing Muni and BART connections from SFO although I must admit the neighbourhood was a bit disconcerting at first (but then I come from a small university town in England.)

The standout thing about this hotel though was the service. I had an issue with my shower, but one email it was resolved. There was even a follow up chat at the bar that evening. Being a solo traveller, I also really valued being greeted by name each evening.

Restaurant attached is also pretty good.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for rooms towards the back
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2011

It was a nice little surprise...especially the small balcony off the Haight Suite! I felt like a true San Francisco resident when I'd hang out out there. And we even saw a naked neighbor (oh come on, like you haven't seen a naked person before?)! There aren't too many frills with the room itself but it's perfect if your intention is to be out and about most of the day. The bed was amazing and I'm happy to report - no bug bites! The tub room was perfect and designed and decorated to make such a small place feel roomy. The toilet had its' own small room which worked out great for me and the hub.

The neighborhood was a little scary at first due to not being familiar with my surroundings but after walking around a bit, I realized there are other more terrifying neighborhoods to worry about than this location. The great room was comfy and food (bread, milk, fruit, etc.) was available 24 hours a day. Access to MUNI was very convenient and once we figured out that system, we had a fantastic time!

The only minor complaint I have is that there was some type of construction going on next to our room. It could be that Sauce's business neighbor was renovating their place or something. Oh well, at least they waited until 8am to use their hammers!

Now, on to the hauntings...after getting settled into our room for the night, my husband tells me that Janis Joplin actually lived in the room we were staying in for a year or two back in the 60's. I love anything spooky and happen to have a ghost radar app on my iphone (I'm a dork, I know but bear with me!). This particular app senses ghosts trying to communicate with us and flashes random words one at a time on the screen. The first word that popped up was "Texas". The second one was "Mama". We looked up Janis Joplin on Wikipedia and found out she was born in Texas. And those of you who are Janis Joplin fans know she recorded an album called "I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!". Freaky, but SOOO cool!!!

All and all, we really loved this little place and can't wait to book the Haight Suite again in the near future. Until then, those of you who book this particular room, please tell Janis “Hello” for me!

Karie

Room Tip: This hotel may not be for everybody but it's great for those who love affordable and something d...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karie S
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Original, nice design, welcoming rooms, friendly. Not enough silverware for full breakfast but a big and warmful common room.
Good place to visit SF.
Everything for a excellent stay

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank nsouchon
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed at this litlle hotel at the end of our 20 days trip. It was very pleasant. How we were with two kids they gave us a large apartmente with two rooms. We arrived late at nite and they were very helpful providing us delicious food from the restaurand (Sauce) that is located just beside the hotel, even they dont have room service.

Room Tip: Ask the brigite room if you are with children
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LQPANTOJA
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights here for my second stay in San Francisco. The place is exactly what I was looking for: a nice and clean place, with an excellent bed and linen in a perfect location to explore the city. They have free wifi in the room and offer a free continental breakfast in the morning with fruits, cereals, different types of breads, jam, coffee or tea that you prepare yourself. This is also available during the day so that you can take an apple for the road. The restaurant downstairs is open from 5pm to 2 am and all the people there were very friendy and helpful in answering my questions.
It is close to the streetcar stops to go downtown and the area is nice with coffee shops and other restaurants. I would return there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This little boutique hotel is in a great location in quaint hayes valley at the center of the San Francisco (without being in Union Square where you are overrun by tourists). It is also connected to Sauce, one of my favorite restaurants in the city. It is quiet and laid back, and has this great large shared living room if you want to chill outside of your hotel room that gives it a really homey feel. I have returned multiple times since my first visit. This is a really charming hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple