“Gracious Old Lady” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Gracious Old Lady”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, and stayed in The Joaquin Miller room which was very good value for money and sharing the bathroom was no hassle at all. The bed was wonderful, the place spotless and the breakfast very good with the cheese and wine in the afternoon a real bonus.
We were made most welcome by all the staff who helped us plan our intinery over the 3 days we were in San Francisco. The area that the Tivoli is located in is fine and well served by local busses.

Room Tip: For excellent value for money chose one of the shared bathroom rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The staff were so accommadating! Lovely breakfasts, Charming, quaint, Victorian house with all antiques. Rooms were very clean, beautiful! Meredith & Jeffrey were so helpful with any questions we had about restaurants & areas of the city, things to do. The Mark Twain room was like living in your own apartment! Huge, clean, & a charming four poster bed! We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2012
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Romantic, in the city, but, not in a real busy location. I really enjoyed the Mark Twain room. ... will go there again.

Room Tip: A good place to go (without your kids and your dog). Romantic
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GuyGray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Wonderful, not a lot else to say really. The building was origianally a boarding house for theatrical types and the decor is very in keeping with that theme. We stayed 3 nights in the Mark Twain on the top floor which is simply huge with a sun room, a living room, a four-poster and a separate daybed. Definitely big enough for two or three. Instead of a tv there was a record player and an opera box set which was charming (there was a CD and alarm if you needed it ).

The staff were delightful and helpful, Sat/Sun brunch is truly spectacular and included in the price. Guests can use the large fridge inthe kitchen and so if you are on a budget there's ample space in the Mark Twain to feed yourself simply.

We caught the 8am bus to the Napa wine train from the port and manged it very easily on public transport which is close by and cheap as chips. It's in a normal human-being neighbourhood but the Jazz heritage Centre on Fillmore Street and some fabulous restaurants are walking distance away.

Will definitely stay again if I'm in San Francisco.

The only thing I would ask for, a towel hook and a shelf in the bathroom!

Room Tip: If there are 2 of you not wanting to share a bed this works really well as long as one of you is wil...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rondlg
Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

My partner and I stayed for four wonderful nights and have seriously considered making this our annual trip. Considering we've never had an annual trip, that's saying something. The staff was incredible! Nico and Josh were so much fun and made it feel like home. One night we had each other laughing for at least an hour standing around the kitchen! Jeffrey was also fun and made a wonderful weekend breakfast on Sunday (French Toast - absolutely delicious). Nico made Saturday's brunch (spinach quiche - I still need that recipe) and had it not been so filling I would've eaten the whole thing! Meredith was also a fountain of information which was really great.

All in all, I've never had such a phenomenal trip. The rooms were wonderful, the staff was like family, and we met some of the most hilarious house mates (ask Jeffrey and Nico - we sat through both brunches almost dying of laughter). My kind of vacation! Thanks and keep up the good work!

ps: I've never slept so comfortably in a bed - I wish I knew where I could get the whole set! Mattress, pillows, sheets, everything!

Room Tip: If you like staying out late, choose one of the walk-out basement suites. I was able to tour them an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mel2428
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I arrived at the Chateau Tivoli after midnight so had to get key from lock box and open the door myself. I'd ever done that before and don't have great vision, but I managed to do it, and entering the anteroom of the Chateau Tivoli was like coming into a museum. High ceilings, antique period wood furniture and decorations filling the rooms, tiffany windows.

Instructions left in an envelope on the entrance table gave me directions up to my room, The Jack London Room, which I loved. Comfortable Brass bed, bird prints on the wall, it was a nice room attached to a turret with a table and couple of chairs. The only windows for the room were in the turret, so sleep was restful and it was fun to sit and write postcards from the turret.

The breakfast was not exceptional, but it did the job, and the lady concierge was very friendly and helpful. Poked my head into the kitchen, a big wonderful old fashioned kitchen.

I regretted leaving the hotel to stay with friends, I would have liked to stay there longer. I took a walk up to the park near by, Alamo Square, and it is a nice introduction to the beauty of San Francisco, the hills, the greenery, the Victorian houses.

I definitely will stay there again next time I come to San Francisco. Has a great deal of character, which is very important to me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RumbleB
Fonthill, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We booked to stay a couple nights in the Tivoli, but only stayed one night. The place is beautiful on the outside and has a spectacular main floor. Not sure what people are complaining about regarding the neighborhood, as it was not a bad area at all. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was nicely furnished, but fairly plain in general. Shared bathroom was okay, but no stand up shower, as it had a claw foot tub with hand held shower attachment - vintage stuff for sure. The only reason I give it an average rating is the noise factor. I will generally sleep through anything, but the street noise and being able to hear the neighboring guest rooms kept my wife awake all night and was the reason we did not stay another. So if noise is not an issue for you, you should be okay staying here. One interesting occurrence did happen - maybe haunted? While my wife was using the bathroom, with door locked, her toiletries were knocked onto the floor in the bathroom, even though they were placed at the back of the washstand. Boo.....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple