“Home away from home. or better.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
Ranked #5 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Mexico City
“Home away from home. or better.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at Union Street in for 7 nights. I attended a seminar and was looking to stay at a place that at night would feel cozy and warm in a neigborhood that was alive and safe to walk around at night. Unlike downtown. This bed and breakfast was the perfect answer to my needs. The living room is beautiful witth a view to the garden, in a Victorian House. Breakfast is wonderful, a rarity when you travel. Fresh fruit chopped at the moment, eggs, french toast or your choice prepare for you. No reheating or food warmers. Jane and Kit are wonderful cooks and it shows in the quality of what they serve you. I am a tea drinker and could chose from around ten varieties of teas and infusions available day and night in the living room with hot water, fresh milk and clean cups- At night there is tray with cheeses, crackers, fruit and wine. The linens are very smooth, top quality cotton. My room was very comfortable with a garden view. The minute you step out of the hotel you have wonderful restaurants, unique boutiques and a few bookstores. You can walk along Union Street or go down Fillmore St. to Chestnut St. where there are more restaurants and shops. If you are up to it, a 15 minute walk will take you to the beach by the Golden Gate Bridge. Jane and Kit were wonderful hosts, their hospitality, warmth and friendliness are key. I will, from now on, always stay here when I visit San Francisco

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
solana beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Having lived in the Cow Hollow (Union Street) neighborhood for years, my wife and I are still nostalgic of our life while living in the City.

The neighborhood, located below Pacific Heights and near the Marina district, is ideally located to sample the restaraunts and shops by foot. There are plenty of places to stay, unfortuanately, they are all of the Motel variety which are poised on busy Lombard or Van Ness (the 101) to catch the unsuspecting traveler as he or she passes thru. However, the Union Street Inn is one exception.

The Inn, a small B&B in an unassuming old Victorian, is clean and charming. It is located near the quite end of Union Street, just as Union streets converts from retail to residential. Ideally located for walking around or grabbing public transportation to many of the other wonderful areas in San Francisco.

A good alternative to the Downtown hotels is you are looking for more of a neighborhood experience while visiting San Francisco

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SolanaBeachTraveler
Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

I'm korean.
Between Korea and USA has cultural differences, including language, life style and food.
But union street inn is Just like my home.
There's no need to explain any more.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

Location! Having lived in San Francisco's Cow Hollow neighborhood for many years, I initially chose the Union Street Inn because of its great location and proximity to my pals.

The Place - I have stayed many times, and discovered The Cottage several years ago. It's nestled in the back of the property through a lovely, flower covered court yard. An English Inn type feel from the decor to the proprietors, yet somehow bohemian, relaxed and comfortable - like the City itself. (There's a perfect word for this design style - but it's completely escaping me!)

I feel like I am stepping into an Armistead Maupin novel when I stay in the Cottage. I've also stayed in a room streetside, which was also very nice but a tad noisey if you're accustomed to the quieter mornings in the burbs. I may have even stayed in a room on the second floor some time ago. If you need quiet, just request a room in the back or the Cottage, more specifically.

Staff! The staff is what keeps me coming back. They are super friendly, flexible and communicate effectively with their guests - from securing the reservation to ensuring proper receipts for business. My trips are often short, harried, with late arrivals and crazy early departures. They make everything very easy.

It's my SF home away from home - love this place!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

This was my first B&B experience and boy was it a great one. My preference generally to be more modern in terms of hotels/lodging, but this place broke the mold for me. I think it's easy to let the decor feel "creepy" when you go too Victorian, but the moment I stepped inside the place felt welcoming, cozy, and really comfortable.

The only thing to look out for if you choose the New Yorker room is that it faces the street and the noise level may bother you. The Marina area is known for a young and bar going crowd, so at 2/3am you may hear a few yelps and screams as the watering holes let out.

Union street has a lot of shops and restaurants to choose from. I was very skeptical about a B&B in the city, but this was a great location. We were preoccupied for about two hours walking up and down the street.

We didn't know what to expect for the breakfast, but they didn't disappoint. A full breakfast with all the trimmings. I will definitely return to this inn.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC (taxation without representation)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

Want to know what makes a great B & B? Look no further than the Union Street Inn. When I lived in the east bay (twenty years ago) and I needed to find place to have dear friends stay my research and interrogation of friends led me to the Union Street Inn. All later guests were sent to Jane & David (my place was really, really small, especially once my very large dog stretched out). Since we have moved east, we have experienced over and over exactly how good a decision that was. We travel a fair amount, and whenever possible stay at B & B's - the bar is set by the Union Street Inn. What is most remarkable to me is how consistent the experience has been over many years - a rare accomplishment indeed. Specifically:

(1) Location is about as perfect as one can imagine for SF: a quiet residential neighborhood within walking distance of great restaurants, great parks, North Beach etc...Just a few steps from the door you find great bus route stops for going anywhere in SF.

(2) Service of such easy going perfection that it is simply wonderful. You can not get a better breakfast anywhere in SF - really, I mean that (I've tried).

(3) The rooms are very, very comfortable, and with a large garden in the back of the inn, the rooms are quite noise-free (especially so given that you are in the middle of a rather active city).

(4) The quality / cost ratio is ridiculously in your favor. (When we visited in December 2009 I had unusually (for me) planned ahead, but bad luck dictated there were no rooms at the Inn, so we had to look elsewhere. Thus I know of what I speak. Should this happen to you be sure to request that you be added to a wait list: two days before we left Jane called because they had a cancellation!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

My wife and I just spent 3 fabulous nights in the inn. Kit and Jane provided great service, and their breakfasts were fabulous. We very much liked that they told us what they planned to serve and gave us lots of choices. We stayed in the Golden Gate room, which was very cozy with a nice view of Union St. The bathroom was very small, but it is an old house and we would not have expected it to be different. Jane and Kit readily provided good recommendations on where to eat and shop, and the inn is within walking distance of lots of good restaurants and shops. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple