“outstanding location; great respite”
Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
Ranked #5 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights in the Carriage House in November. We had a wonderful stay at the Union Street Inn. The accommodations were great and breakfasts were awesome. We really loved being in this area of San Francisco and this bed and breakfast was great. The garden is a treat. Thank you for having us!

Room Tip: The Carriage house behind the main home is very private and comfortable.
1  Thank Martha L
There are newer reviews for Union Street Inn

Reviewed December 27, 2013

That says it all! My wife and I have been here at Christmas MOST of the last 13 years, and we returned again this year. The Cow Hollow are is where we buy most of our Christmas gifts and where we eat. The staff at Union Street Inn, from Jane and David to Kit are GREAT. They actually make you feel like they enjoy having you (and we have been here enough that we know they do, truly). We never even consider staying anywhere else. I even have an email I give to friends that are traveling to The City, and The Union Street Inn is prominently encouraged. In case you missed the point, we HIGHLY recommend The Union Street Inn.

Room Tip: Trust the staff
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that I love SF. I used to live in the area, and I travel back often for work as well as for fun. Union Street Inn is my home away from home when I am in SF. The neighborhood is fantastic, the building is the classic victorian style that epitomizes SF. The hosts are caring without overdoing it. The prices are reasonable. I feel the Golden Gate room is my "rental" apartment in SF. The rooms of the Inn are best suited for couples -- very romantic, but I stay here even when I travel on my own for work.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Athina M
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful Inn for two nights prior to staying downtown for a convention. I wish so much we could have stayed here the entire time!
Our stay was from November 19-21st.
We were greeted by one of the owner's on our arrival - David. He was so welcoming and had our room - well actually we stayed in the cottage out back which was amazing....ready for us.
There was wine and cheese out in the parlour area with biscuits, and fruits as well. So, after putting our luggage in our cottage, and freshening up from a long flight, we joined David in the parlour. We met his little dog, Scout, and David told us about the neighbourhood, advised us on restaurants, and even got menu's out for said restaurants. He then called an owner of a restaurant which was just a short stroll up the street, and asked for a nice table for us.
That - is just not done much any-more. You are treated with such friendliness and courtesy here, that you talk about it weeks afterwards!!! We still are!
The cottage house is lovely. It houses a queen bed, a sitting area, which had a fruit basket waiting for us, with fresh water. There is a flat screen TV, a whirlpool tub witch is huge and works well, a toilet area, which is closed off by a door - loved this, a large sink area, a closet area, and an area where tea and coffee making is available.
There was much attention paid to the furnishings and finishings to the room. Lovely paintings, put up all over the room, even in the bathroom area. It all said "we care about you and your stay". We found the bed to be very comfortable, and the gardens you walk through from the main house to the cottage are incredibly beautiful.
The breakfast was done up by Kit. She was lovely and boy can she make a wonderful breakfast. We had sausages and bacon, and eggs the way we wanted, and toast, fruit, coffee oh, and fresh orange juice! You have breakfast on the chairs and sofa's in the parlour. You can talk with Kit and guests as you have your breakfast. It really does feel like you are amongst friends. As a matter of fact, the next day, after sightseeing- we looked forward to getting back to share in more wine and conversation. We met another couple, and ended up going out with them at another spot just near the Inn.
There is quite a lot of shopping handy here, and there is good transportation available right literally on the door step via buses into town. On the map, it looked far, but we walked half way into town one day...while shopping our way up the streets. We found taxis reasonable as well, and jumped into them to get here and there. If you are doing the Hop on Hop off bus tour with Big Red Bus, the stop is actually just around the corner from the Inn...so you could do your tour and get off there to return "home"!
We want to thank David and Kit for their hospitality. This was definitely the best B&B we have ever had the pleasure of staying at. They sure have set the bar high!
Thanks from Helen and Jon.

Room Tip: If you are looking for privacy, the cottage room will be perfect for you.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Union Street Inn in Sept. 2010 (not 2013 as indicated below). The room was cozy and the breakfast was fantastic. We loved eating out in the beautiful garden. Its very easy to get to most SF attractions, but we really liked the vibe right on Union St. Lots of nice shops and plenty of window shopping. Great little cafe - Rosa's - right down the street at Steiner.

David and Jane were very accommodating. One little snafu was that our plane arrived late - not delayed, just didn't get in until evening as planned - and David was anxious to leave for the evening. However, no advance instructions were provided for late arrival and room key pick up. We later learned the procedure is to go to the little bar downstairs and get the keys.

We do still recommend the Union Street Inn as a great little B&B in SF.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room away from the street as the Muni buses come right by ans are noisy
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Union St Inn in September. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The cooked breakfast each morning out in the garden was a highlight as was the wine and cheese available at the end of each day. Lots of very enjoyable conversations with other guests at both ends of the day. Jane, David and Kit were wonderful hosts ... friendly, cheerful and very helpful. The location is excellent. Lots of good places to eat in easy walking distance, in particular Rose's Cafe a few doors down. The trolley buses, which stop just near the Inn, are efficient and very easy to use and are a good way to get around SF. If we ever go back to San Francisco we will definitely say at the Union Street Inn. Thanks Jane, David and Kit for some good memories of San Francisco.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Golden Gate room, up stairs at the front of the house facing the street. The room w...
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

You will love this place and will feel like home. It’s made with attention to detail and love. The hosts, Kit, Jane and David will quick become your friends. The Union Street Inn is an ideal place to discover San Francisco from and it is situated in a prestigious area with lots of shops and restaurants just on Union Street. We’ll, be back!! Thanks to Jane, Kit and David.

Room Tip: The Wild Rose is particularly quite as is the Carriage House.